• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 CoolieChick OFFLINE  

CoolieChick
  • Member No: 9867
  • 5 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 04:59 PM

I found our MF 14 at a yard sale several years ago, along with a mower deck, tiller, disk, and trailer. It runs great, though it is pretty loud. I'm not sure what the muffler situation is. We have been using it for mowing, tilling, dragging my riding arena, and general trailer hauler for all sorts of farm projects. Three or four years ago, our mower deck died of "rustcer". I've been crying the blues about it, but, three days ago, finally, I got tired of broken mower deck belts on the replacement machine, took the ole bull by the horns and got on my computer and telephone. :laughingteeth: I scored big time. I not only found this forum, I found a man who gave me the name of another man with a mower deck in decent shape, and, it was within 40 miles of home. (Thank you Steve and Mark.) DH and I plan to clean up the deck, replace any parts that need replacing, de-rust, and paint it up with the correct color before putting it on the MF 14. I'll have to rummage around in the barn to see if I can find the belt covers off the "rustcer deck" to put on the newer one. They did come with the original package. Then, when we can use it for mowing again, I WILL run an ad for that thing we have been using to mow with that just doesn't "cut it". (Pun intended) This fall, when the weather turns cold and dank and there is no lawn to mow, we are going to do our best at restoring the MF 14 closer to its original condition. At that point, I am sure we will have loads of questions. DH owns/runs a truck repair... an over-trained mechanic, if you will. He also worked on the family farm equipment growing up so should be able to handle most of it... but parts will probably be another thing. A friend may have a "parts" machine we can pick up. We are getting "long of tooth" but we should still be up to this project. I've wanted to do it since we obtained it. I guess I should take before and after photos, huh? :rocker:
  • chris m said thank you

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 05:08 PM

Welcome, and yes, we'd like some "as-is" pics asap! I used to own an MF14.....great tractors!
  • CoolieChick said thank you

#3 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 05:09 PM

:welcometogttalk: :wewantpics: Welcome CoolieChick! Glad you found us! You will love it on here!

Nice story and good luck on your MF14, I just bought a MF12 and I am already Loving these MF's!

I would love to find a bigger one now, but they don't come up often in my neck of the woods.

There is a lot of great info on MF's on here, and we have some of the nicest and and most knowledgeable MF people to be found.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,714 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 05:26 PM

Welcome to the forum! Glad you found a replacement deck.. Pics are what keeps us involved! LOL Really, we're just snoopy! I think you will enjoy your time here and learn a lot about your tractor!

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 05:48 PM

:welcome: to GTTalk. Glad you found us.

My son has a MF10 and I have a 12G and an ugly 12H. They are great Tractors with a very healthy following.

Oh, and yes,
:wewantpics:

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 06:34 PM

Welcome to GTTalk. The MF 7-16 series of tractors were great machines and continue to be popular as working tractors and for restoration projects. It sounds like you have a good feel for the capabilities of these older tractors and how well they were made.

#7 CoolieChick OFFLINE  

CoolieChick
  • 5 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 07:03 PM

If I did this right, there should be three shots of our MF 14. I can only hope I did it correctly.

As you can see, she is a workhorse. That trailer is full of T1-11 scraps that we got off Freecycle to finish building our chicken house. Before that, it was full of gas, chainsaws, some firewood, and tools. DH has been playing logger but he uses the full size skidder for pulling the logs. Tee hee....

The big thing we will need are plastic items. Oh, and can you have steering wheels re-coated? I found the stickers already and the paint colors. You know... the girlie things!

Attached Thumbnails

• chickens tractor 022.jpg
  • chickens tractor 002.jpg
  • chickens tractor 003.jpg

Edited by CoolieChick, May 15, 2012 - 07:05 PM.

• MH81 and chris m have said thanks

#8 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 07:12 PM

If I did this right, there should be three shots of our MF 14. I can only hope I did it correctly.

As you can see, she is a workhorse. That trailer is full of T1-11 scraps that we got off Freecycle to finish building our chicken house. Before that, it was full of gas, chainsaws, some firewood, and tools. DH has been playing logger but he uses the full size skidder for pulling the logs. Tee hee....

The big thing we will need are plastic items. Oh, and can you have steering wheels re-coated? I found the stickers already and the paint colors. You know... the girlie things!

After you attach the photos in the post, you have to click Add to Post for each photo, it's on the right side of the page across form the little thumb nail pictures you added. That is of coarse if you went about loading them by clicking More Reply Options on the bottom right of the post you were typing. :smilewink:

As far as the wheel re coating, I just came across a place that does it. I'll get the link.

#9 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 07:15 PM

Let me see if this works, If the link doesn't work. this is the place for wheel re coating.Minn-Kota Repair - Steering Wheels and Repair

#10 CoolieChick OFFLINE  

CoolieChick
  • 5 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 07:29 PM

Thanks Chris, That will make it look so very much better. It is weather checking pretty badly. A new bright coat of paint will really help too.

We will need the plastic cowl (?) that goes around the front of the hood and one tail light I think. Probably will run into more stuff, but for now, that is all I see. I'm sure the DH will find lots under that hood and body that can use a freshening up too. I know he is going to put new bearings in the deck.

Bonnie
  • chris m said thank you

#11 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 07:38 PM

I have spent the last 6 months restoring a 1966 MF10. I have it close to being done. I stripped it all the way to the frame. I am basically down to the motor and front axle now. The tires will be this week.

Edited by Amigatec, May 15, 2012 - 07:39 PM.

#12 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 07:38 PM

Thanks for the pictures CoolieChick (Bonnie)
That looks like a great machine!
Parts - GT Reproductions here Here is a link to some repro plastic parts.
I wish you good luck with your MF 14 :thumbs:

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 07:52 PM

Cheaper by far to replace the steering wheel with a good used one. BUT the later ones are far better in my opinion, as they are the dense rubber type. The late 14/16's used the rubber type. The ones off the 1650 through 1855 will also fit your tractor. There are a few of this type on ebay right now.

#14 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 09:49 PM

:wave: CoolieChick! Welcome to GTTalk Bonnie! We're sure glad to have you on board. That looks like a great candidate for restoration. My collection is a different shade of red, but we welcome all colors shapes and sizes here. As mentioned above, I'm sure that you'll find the nicest bunch of folks on the web right here! Keep us posted on your progress and thanks for signing up!

#15 CoolieChick OFFLINE  

CoolieChick
  • 5 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 10:27 PM

We have loved this MF 14 ever since we got it. It is a great tractor and does a wonderful job of mowing lawn too. My son was by tonight and helped DH unload the deck out of my Caravan so now I can at least drive without having it possibly slide around in the back end. I really appreciate all the help with finding what we will need come this fall. We can get a little bit at a time this way, and, know it is there waiting for us to put it to use.

Have to finish fixing dinner. As usual, once it starts staying light late, we eat later... and later... and later... :rofl2:

Bonnie
  • chris m said thank you