12 replies to this topic

#1 mixedbreed96 OFFLINE  

mixedbreed96

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7095
  • 11 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 10:20 PM

Hey everyone, been awhile since ive been on here but started working on the bush hog only to find out the head is cracked... seeing how hard it is to find another parts engine im thinking about swapping it with a kohler k301. possible? looking for your opinipons and what id have to do to make this work. thanks in advance, Ryan.

#2 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 10:24 PM

Ryan,

Wish I could help....but I am just learning about the do's and don't on these GT's......I know that the crank has to be a certain way for it to work....Daniel I am sure will jump in and give you better advice...
I had found a TR-10D on a bolens that I was hoping would be a drop in one of mine....but Daniel informed me that the crank's ends were different and would not work as a drop in....

Good luck!
  • mixedbreed96 said thank you

#3 mixedbreed96 OFFLINE  

mixedbreed96

Tractorholic

• 11 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 11:02 AM

after looking at my possibilities and to make it work like it should with the k301 im thinking about swapping a rear out of a 122 into it aswell and using the clutch and everything from that, i know its not "original" but i want to make it a worker anyhow not a show piece lol. any help in doing this swap is greatly appreciated

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 11:06 AM

The trans & engine swap would be a good idea if putting it to serious work, as parts are hard to come by if you raked a gear or broke an axle. Not original, but retains most of the Bush Hog look. Plus there are a number of us that may be interested in the old transaxle if you wanted to sell it.
  • mixedbreed96 said thank you

#5 mixedbreed96 OFFLINE  

mixedbreed96

Tractorholic

• 11 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 11:15 AM

That is what i will do, how hard do you think the swap will be?

#6 mixedbreed96 OFFLINE  

mixedbreed96

Tractorholic

• 11 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 11:25 AM

The trans & engine swap would be a good idea if putting it to serious work, as parts are hard to come by if you raked a gear or broke an axle. Not original, but retains most of the Bush Hog look. Plus there are a number of us that may be interested in the old transaxle if you wanted to sell it.

And for the rear, if you want it make me an offer ill have it pulled this weekend

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 03:12 PM

I'm a bit too far, but George may be interested. I'll PM him.

#8 mixedbreed96 OFFLINE  

mixedbreed96

Tractorholic

• 11 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 07:03 PM

Picking up a cub 100 in rough shape to get this build going. any ideas on what ill have to do to make this work?

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 07:23 PM

It's the kind of job that will require mocking things up to see how you can get things aligned. I don't think it will be that hard to set the engine & trans. Setting up the clutch & brakes will be harder.

#10 mixedbreed96 OFFLINE  

mixedbreed96

Tractorholic

• 11 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted May 16, 2012 - 10:30 PM

picked the cub up tonight, motor has great compression, tried to start when i pushed the starter button in, pulled the spark plug out to find no spark :/ going tomorrow to grab a plug and air filter and we will see if this thing will run. also had a hard time getting it off the truck and into the garage since it has no front wheels, lol

#11 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 02:39 PM

Let me know/keep us updated on how this goes. My D4-7 Wisc S7D seized up and I've been hunting for something to replace it with ever since. Does that Kohler engine have the center hole in the crankshaft and the key grove or will you have to drill/make that?

#12 mixedbreed96 OFFLINE  

mixedbreed96

Tractorholic

• 11 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 10:01 PM

Let me know/keep us updated on how this goes. My D4-7 Wisc S7D seized up and I've been hunting for something to replace it with ever since. Does that Kohler engine have the center hole in the crankshaft and the key grove or will you have to drill/make that?

Sorry to hear about your S7D, the Kohler had the whole and key groove already, im actually using the clutch system from the cub aswell in this build, i notched the frame out tonight to make the trans fit and will drill and bolt it in tomorrow, the motor is the k241 and needs rebuilt. Popped the head off to find the piston was sloppy, ordering an oem rebuild kit off of ebay and will see how it goes, also have to check the s/g and a few other things while its all apart. Going great so far!

#13 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted May 28, 2012 - 11:18 AM

Have any photos? Would love to see all of this :)