• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Ariens OFFLINE  

Mr Ariens

• Member No: 8409
  • 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 09:32 PM

My Ariens GT 18 Magnum engine runs great when I am cutting lawn, but after it gets hot, it will shut off. I ran it all winter and it ran fine. This spring it ran fine also, but now its getting warmer, and the engine seems to be running hot and it shuts off by itself. When it cools down, it will start up and run fine again until it gets hot. Probably only about a half hour at most of run time. Anyone have any suggestions?

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 09:35 PM

I can think of a couple things to check. I would check the coil, it may be breaking down when it gets hot. The other thing is to check and see if you are getting fuel to the carb, maybe vapor locking on you.
  • Mr Ariens said thank you

#3 Mr Ariens OFFLINE  

Mr Ariens

• 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 09:49 PM

How would I check the coil?

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 09:55 PM

I was thinking coil as well. To check it, imediatly after it stalls check for spark. You can carry another plug and just pop off the wire and put it onto the other one and turn it over, or you can run it with an inline spark checker light thing. Or if you wanted to, you could even take the plug out and check it.
  • Texas Deere and Horse and Mr Ariens have said thanks

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 10:26 PM

Do as stated above. also make sure your cooling fins are not plugged with grass clippings also be sure the air filter is clean.

And if you haven't changed your oil in awhile I would do so now also.

Good Luck!

#6 GT Man OFFLINE  

GT Man

• Member No: 139
  • 38 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 05:35 AM

Does it backfire and then shut off when hot? The 18 I believe was the overhead valve motor and if it does it may have an exhaust valve seat coming loose. When it cools it gsticks and when hot comes loose. If so this will onle get worse.

#7 Mr Ariens OFFLINE  

Mr Ariens

• 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 07:04 AM

The coil does make sense, because after it shuts off, it will not restart until it is cooled down. I will check the spark tonight, change the oil and air filter, not sure how I would check the exhaust valve seat.. any suggestions? The fins on the side of the motor are all clean. Would any of the before mentions potential problems have the same response? If it is the coil, how do I replace or repair? Location?

#8 Mr Ariens OFFLINE  

Mr Ariens

• 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 02:51 PM

I just talked to the Ariens dealer, the mechanic there said he thought it would be the coil. With the weak coil, its causing the motor to run hot and when the coil gets hot, it will shut it off. Sounds right, anyone know where I can find a coil for the Kohler 18 Magnum? How hard of a job is it? Anyone have directions or insight on how to pull the engine, I'm thinking thats going to have to be done in order to replace the coil. Thanks for all of your responses!!!

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 03:15 PM

Is this a vertical or horizontal engine? If vertical, no problem. If horizontal, it may have to be pulled to get the flywheel shroud off. The coil resides under it.

#10 Mr Ariens OFFLINE  

Mr Ariens

• 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 05:25 PM

Its Horizontal....how much work is it?

#11 Gatecat OFFLINE  

Gatecat

• Member No: 633
  • 9 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 16, 2012 - 02:32 PM

Silly question but has caused my GT 20 run issues in the past - you did move the air cleaner over to summer position rather than continuing to take in heated manifold air, yes?
  • JDBrian, Delmar and Mr Ariens have said thanks

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 16, 2012 - 04:35 PM

Silly question but has caused my GT 20 run issues in the past - you did move the air cleaner over to summer position rather than continuing to take in heated manifold air, yes?

That's a little feature that's nice to know about. Thanks

#13 Mr Ariens OFFLINE  

Mr Ariens

• 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 03:10 PM

I did move the air cleaner to the summer position. Does anyone know what kind of compression reading I should get(Range)?

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 04:02 PM

Have you downloaded the engine manual. If it's not on here it would be available at the Kohler site. That should tell you the compression check values.

#15 ariensman2 OFFLINE  

ariensman2
  • Member No: 8720
  • 8 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 12:30 PM

I just talked to the Ariens dealer, the mechanic there said he thought it would be the coil. With the weak coil, its causing the motor to run hot and when the coil gets hot, it will shut it off. Sounds right, anyone know where I can find a coil for the Kohler 18 Magnum? How hard of a job is it? Anyone have directions or insight on how to pull the engine, I'm thinking thats going to have to be done in order to replace the coil. Thanks for all of your responses!!!

Just remove the fan/flywheel shroud and the coil is right there. I changed out mine before and it was easy. They are also called an ignition module. Make sure your not running out of gas before doing all that. I had the very same thing happen to one of my kohler engines and I finally looked at the fuel filter and it was empty. I had gas in the tank but the fuel pump would not pump consistantly. It was vapor locking.
  • MH81 and Mr Ariens have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ariens, ariens gt, ariens gt 18