broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 09:15 PM

I've been wanting to take my amf1014 to a plow day since I got it but wasn't able to find a 3pt for it. I finally found a mf14 with a 3pt that I could put on the amf but the amf is in nice original condition and I didn't want to remove the "knock out" from the seat pan to install the cylinder. I also wanted to keep the 3pt on the mf14 for heavy work. After seeing how the lift linkage works for the mf550 tiller I thought it would be very possible to build a sleeve hitch for it and use the deck/tiller lift cylinder to lift the sleeve hitch. This would allow me to leave the knock out in and keep the tractor completely original, no drilling, chopping or cutting. 4 bolts and 1 pin and you will never know it was there. Well, I've been planning on building it for over a year and just didn't find the time. Then I found out we didn't have any work at my job on Friday, Saturday was the WNY plow day, so I took Friday off and got to work on the hitch. I had some steel already and went to a local surplus metal supplier and filled in the blanks as best I could. The materials aren't exactly what I wanted but it worked out pretty good, I actually milled down 1/2" thick 11/2" flat stock to 3/8" thick to better fit my design and other materials in the build. I was pulled away from the build several times as usual threw out the day but managed to work all night and into the next morning to get it done in time for plow day. I finished at 4am and the plowing started at 11am. I grabbed a quick and very badly needed shower, nap, then got loaded up and took it plowing. I must say, the hitch worked fantastic. I designed it with lots of adjustment so I was able to maximize lift leverage and still have plenty of up and down travel. If you stop with the plow buried in the ground it doesn't have enough power to pull it up out of the ground (it would require a good bit of force) but it will easily lift the plow out of the ground while moving. I haven't tested it yet but I think it would lift a brinly box blade with a cement block on it for weight. This uses the same cylinder as the deck and tiller and the tiller is one heavy S.O.B. I didn't have time to paint it, I need better clips for the pins, need some washers and finishing touches but at least I got to try it out. I'm also going to add grease fittings to grease the rock shaft, I drilled the holes for them but just used a needle to grease it till I get time to add them. I'm definitely going to build another one of these for my other mf14, probably not start to finish in one shot like this one though, that was rough.

DSC02539.JPG DSC02541.JPG DSC02543.JPG DSC02544.JPG DSC02545.JPG DSC02547.JPG DSC02555.JPG DSC02558.JPG

Edited by broken2, May 14, 2012 - 10:00 PM.

• IamSherwood said thank you

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 09:27 PM

That's a really great idea Dan.
It looks really good and still kept the tractor original.
When you get a whole bunch of free time, maybe write down some measurements?

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 09:41 PM

That is a very nice beefy looking hitch you fab-ed up. I like the wheel weights on the inside of the rear tires, are they MF half weights?

Very nice job!! :thumbs: It looks factory..

#4 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 09:58 PM

I like the wheel weights on the inside of the rear tires, are they MF half weights?

Those aren't mf weights. I think they are the wheel horse weights Caseguy is always looking for, no Steve you can't have them! They were on the tractor when I bought it, on the outside of the rim. They have a nice large hole in the center that fits over the hub. You can mount them on the inside of the rim before you put it on the tractor. If they are mounted on the outside you can also remove/install the lugs with the weight attached. I think they're about 50lbs.

Edited by broken2, May 14, 2012 - 09:59 PM.

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 11:01 PM

Great Job! And yes that does look factory.
I'm glad you were able to keep it original with this design. :thumbs:

#6 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 11:37 PM

Very well done, and great idea. Would be nice to see what you did at the other end of
the linkage rod.

#7 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 07:15 AM

Excellent fab job! Put some paint on it and the casual observer won't know it isn't factory built! I'd also like to see how you ran the linkage behind the wheel and how you connected the lift cylinder.