22 replies to this topic

#16 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 05:23 PM

Big drill with low RPMs might do the trick. There are two problems though, both related to holding the drill. First, the drill's torque against the motor may well pull it out of your hands. I had a 2 handled Makita drill that would do that easily enough. Second, when the motor gets going, it will probably be going faster than your drill and may tend to "Lock" the nut inside the socket, then once again, rip the drill from your hands.

#17 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 06:45 PM

Howard, I have an old "Sioux" drill that will take your whole body round & round if the bit hangs! It is heavily gear reducted & really has the power. As to a socket locking onto the shaft nut, filling the socket to form a shallow socket just deep enough for the nut will help prevent that. Or build a angled slot mechanism so it will auto disengage when the engine fires.

Here's a rep photo from the net. It looks exactly like my old drill, except mine is larger & has at least a 1/2" chuck, plus this one is prettier than mine. Says from the 40's.....and mine still runs strong!
Sioux drill.jpg

#18 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 06:51 PM

I have one of those big steel drills, I dont know what brand it is. That one has pulled itself from my hands a few times! I might try it, tomorrow.

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 06:57 PM

Ryan, be sure to stuff some tin foil or something into the socket to shallow it up before trying!

#20 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 07:01 PM

Ryan, be sure to stuff some tin foil or something into the socket to shallow it up before trying!

Thats a good idea! I was trying to think of ways to make it shallow but couldn't think of anything.

#21 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted May 16, 2012 - 11:51 AM

A spare nut inside the socket will shallow it up quick.

#22 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 16, 2012 - 03:21 PM

I modified the adapter so it will work on a drill, it turns the engine over with no trouble at all. Here is a pic of my drill.

Posted Image

#23 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 02:37 PM

I have one of those old drills too. Ryan, mine is set up like yours with a big bar coming out of the top of it to hold onto! I use it for mixing mortar, plaster and drywall, and OCCASIONALLY when things won't fit in the drill press and need a BIG hole in them...

If the flywheel had teeth on it, you could make a boss to plug a starter into to get it going, then just pull the starter out once it fired. A tooth or pin in the boss would keep the starter from wanting to turn out of your hands. And the bendix would disengage the starter once the flywheel started spinning...

As stated before, some karts and racing cycles used something like this to get motivated.....