• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 09:13 PM

It's hard to say with out looking at it. Those holes are what the fuel sprays out of, into the venture. So they have to be in the venture area, if there not then you wont get fuel for anything above idle.

So I would install what ever tube was with that carb.

if you do use the bent one, check it good for cracks. if it is cracked it won't allow you to run above idle either.

I sure wish I lived closer!
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#17 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 09:15 PM

I downloaded the manual you posted the link for, it is a medium flo-jet.

That carb is used on many briggs. even the four 8hp horizontals I have, all have that carb, and there from the 70's to the 80's
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#18 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 09:19 PM

Ryan, I'm going to go out to the shop and see if I have a tube with an "E" on it also. If I do I will compare it to the "G". I'll let you know soon if and what I find.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#19 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 09:19 PM

We did not look for any cracks, it went something like this...

Me: I think you bent it.
Him: I think so to. *rolled tube on work bench* Yep! It's bent!
Me: Is this one the same?
Him: *inspects them side by side* No, lets just put the bent one back in, if it doesn't work, we can switch them out.

So thats what we did, and now I'm here asking for help. Lol!

#20 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 09:21 PM

Ryan, I'm going to go out to the shop and see if I have a tube with an "E" on it also. If I do I will compare it to the "G". I'll let you know soon if and what I find.

Ok, sounds good. I would go take side by side pics but, since its put back together I can't do that. If we do happen to take it back apart I will take pics. If you do not have one to compare.

#21 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 09:42 PM

OK, I have both. I wish I had a video camera to show you what to look for, but I will try and explain it all.

It looks like either tube will work on these carbs.

Before I get going, Quick question, was gas leaking form anywhere on this carb? like from any gasket or from the bottom?
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#22 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 09:46 PM

Thanks chris! The carb does not leak gas from anywhere on it. When I put the engine on the speedex it needed a carb and I picked one that had been rebuilt and only had a few hours on it, if that much.

#23 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 10:07 PM

Ok just checking because that tube fits in a small hole on the top half of the carb. being bent it might not seat all the way.

I would use the tube with the E (the straight one) make sure all the little holes are clean. at the threaded end of the tube there are 2 Real tiny holes, they are right under the angled seat of the tube.(They are 3/4" up form the end of the tube that the high speed needle goes into)

The float on these is adjusted so it sits level with the top of the carb when it is upside down.

Make sure you remove the mixture screw on the top of the carb also, and spray the hole out.

There is not a lot to these carb, and if you have all passages clean and gaskets are sealing properly you should have no issues with it.

the little intake pipe you want to be sure those surfaces are true (flat) and clean before installing, any vac leak from here will cause problems on these carbs (more than on most carbs)

If after you do all this and it still won't run off choke, Then as stated above check the Valves.

I hope this helps, And good luck

#24 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 10:20 PM

Yes Chris, it was a big help! Thanks for all the help and I will report back tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
  • chris m said thank you

#25 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 07:02 AM

Following this closely as this is the carb on my Sears 725. It sounds like I accidentally did it right, by taking the main out first (taking it apart to replace the bad gasket).

Chris, if the main tube is bent, will it leak all the time or is it intermittent? I had it leak a few drops a couple of times. Never able to see from where and it was all over but the smell and a small mark othe floor by the time I discovered it. There is still gas in the tank when it quit leaking, so I am thinking some kinda mung working it's way thru the fuel lines.

Sorry to hijack your thread Ryan.

#26 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,725 Thanks
  • 4,285 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 07:10 AM

I pieced together a 23 FB for my Ottawa. When I got ready to bolt the carb on, the throttle worked backwards of the governor. I hadn't run into that before. Just another lesson from the school of hard knocks!
  • chris m said thank you

#27 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,725 Thanks
  • 4,285 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 07:17 AM

Chris, if the main tube is bent, will it leak all the time or is it intermittent? I had it leak a few drops a couple of times. Never able to see from where and it was all over but the smell and a small mark othe floor by the time I discovered it.

If you look down toward the bottom of the tube above the thread is a small taper. That taper has to seal inside the carb where it goes through the float bowl. If the tube gets bent there is a chance it won't screw in far enough to seat the taper. You can grind the thread off of an old tube and use valve lapping compound to clean up the seat inside the carb.
  • MH81 and chris m have said thanks

#28 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 12:08 PM

Following this closely as this is the carb on my Sears 725. It sounds like I accidentally did it right, by taking the main out first (taking it apart to replace the bad gasket).

Chris, if the main tube is bent, will it leak all the time or is it intermittent? I had it leak a few drops a couple of times. Never able to see from where and it was all over but the smell and a small mark othe floor by the time I discovered it. There is still gas in the tank when it quit leaking, so I am thinking some kinda mung working it's way thru the fuel lines.

Sorry to hijack your thread Ryan.

Do like DougT explained. That is one of the biggest ghost problems on these carbs. It acts just like your float is stuck open when it is really leaking from the tapered seat. So people with this problem tend to take the carb apart repeatedly thinking something is wrong with the needle or the float isn't adjusted correctly. I have learned the hard way to test this seat before putting the carb together.

#29 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 12:45 PM

/Thanks for the info on the seat. How do I check if its good?

#30 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 01:17 PM

if your 23 is an FB, the F stands for flanged mount, and the B for ball bearing.