• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 10:08 AM

The blade and tractor did well last night. We'll see if there are any issues with the tractor when I give it an inspection before I go back. I did a major rebuild of the 314 last summer and this is the first real test. It got really great traction with the turfs and lowish tire pressure. No wheel weight required.

I'm on the church council as well and do a lot of volunteer work there. The common material for driveways and parking lots is referred to as Class A aggregate up here. It's a mixture of clay and crusher run up to 3/4". It works well if it has a chance to pack down. If you put it down too late in the year it doesn't get a chance to firm up before it's time to plow snow. I'm hoping we can get the drainage issue dealt with soon and get some gravel on the lot before the fall. I think the overall grade of the lot may have shifted from years of seasonally moving gravel in the lot. I need to get a transit level in there and check the grade.

#17 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 01:57 PM

The blade and tractor did well last night. We'll see if there are any issues with the tractor when I give it an inspection before I go back. I did a major rebuild of the 314 last summer and this is the first real test. It got really great traction with the turfs and lowish tire pressure. No wheel weight required.

I'm on the church council as well and do a lot of volunteer work there. The common material for driveways and parking lots is referred to as Class A aggregate up here. It's a mixture of clay and crusher run up to 3/4". It works well if it has a chance to pack down. If you put it down too late in the year it doesn't get a chance to firm up before it's time to plow snow. I'm hoping we can get the drainage issue dealt with soon and get some gravel on the lot before the fall. I think the overall grade of the lot may have shifted from years of seasonally moving gravel in the lot. I need to get a transit level in there and check the grade.

That's the first time in many years I have heard anyone mention a transit level! I thought everything was done with a laser.
Interesting that you mentioned a Transit, I was just thinking the other night with my being old school anyway. I need to start hitting garage sales and used tool dealers and see if I could find a transit at a price I could swing to do some of the grading I need to do on my acreage.

#18 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 06:40 PM

Transit level or laser whatever will do the job. I don't have much luck finding tools at garage sales. Maybe I'm just too busy looking for tractors to see the tool bargains.

#19 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 08:10 AM

Yeah I understand that. It occurred to my that my dad used to have a transit. I'll have to ask if he still has it stuffed away in a closet somewhere.

#20 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 07:44 PM

Went back to the church tonight to finish up. The hill where I had filled in was washed out worse than when I left Monday! We had a bit of a thunder storm on Thursday but nothing really huge! All the material I put in the washout was gone and more!! All this from the eves trough? I looked over at the corner of the lot and saw silt there like a lot of water had lain there. That was the clue to this problem. The whole lot is graded to that low corner. When the snow plow piled up gravel along that corner he blocked the drainage path. The water has been running along the pile and down the right side (looking down the hill) of the driveway causing the huge washout. I set about pulling all that gravel out of there (3rd picture) and filling in the washout again. The smaller washout on the left side is due to the eves trough. It was so bad when I got there tonight I thought we would have to close that section to traffic. Anyway heres some photos. Someone parked right in the middle of my workspace while I wasn't looking. Anyway, the tractor worked fine but the blade is taking a real beating. That washout was full of rocks and getting them covered over and smooth again was not easy.

DSCF7631.jpg DSCF7637.jpg
Heres what I found tonight Washed out again! Filling it in again
DSCF7639.jpg DSCF7643.jpg
Pulled gravel from here to fill in Drivable again
DSCF7633.jpg DSCF7635.jpg
Pulling gravel from the wall Moving out big piles of gravel
DSCF7636.jpg DSCF7640.jpg
Gradually pulled it out into the lot Someone parked in the middle of my work :mad2:
DSCF7646.jpg
As good as it's going to get tonight!

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 06:01 AM

Looking good Brian! It's odd how folks seem to park in the worst spot. But you are getting it done!
  • JDBrian said thank you

#22 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 06:17 AM

That drainage issue had us all fooled. We had an excavation guy in there and he was blaming the eves troughs as well. It was the obvious problem. When I think about it, this lot is about 10years old and we have not had a big washout until this spring. If the roof runoff was the problem it would have shown up before this! The pictures of the washout don't really give a good feel for how deep it was. I put a bunch of rock in the worst place and a 6" rock was below the grade. I'm going to have to go back again before the next rain and make sure I've got a good exit for the water other than the driveway. I was at it for about 3 hours. Slow work. Some of the piles were too tall to get the blade over. I'd say 18" high in spots. It took a lot of passes to pull it all out.

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 06:29 AM

Yeah, you will have to get the water to go elsewhere than down that drive. Plus the normal traffic will try to move the gravel down hill until it packs in. Do you by chance have a roller you can pull around over that to help pack it in?
  • JDBrian said thank you

#24 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 06:43 AM

Brian, that blade and you are doing a great job on the washout. Water doesn't always run the way it looks like it would and can do more damage than one would think. Hopefully you'll be able to determine where it's running and fix that problem. If it is running down the hill maybe an asphalt speed bump type diverter could be put in at not too big a cost. Looking good though.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#25 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 05:58 PM

Kenny, I don't have a roller. We had a wedding there today and it got a lot of traffic which is packing it down. Ronnie, that hill has not eroded like that in the past. I think the problem was the gravel blocking the exit from the lot in the low corner. The whole lot needs maintenance. I've got instructions from the Council president to obtain quotes to fix the drainage issue and add gravel to the lot to cover the rock base. We'll see what the experts think when they look at it. The tractor and blade did the job just fine but it was slow work. It's the first time I've worked in that large a space so it was a learning exercise for me as well. A compact tractor would have done the job a lot faster.

#26 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 07:25 PM

Sounds like an opportunity for a new toy...er tool! :bigrofl: Good luck with the quotes!
  • JDBrian said thank you

#27 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 07:59 PM

Looks to me like the operator, John Deere and the box blade were doing a fine job. Glad to hear you got the approval on getting the drainage issues fixed and more stone to be delivered.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#28 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 06:50 AM

Sounds like an opportunity for a new toy...er tool! :bigrofl: Good luck with the quotes!

Great idea Kenny. I'll keep my eye open for a roller. I really enjoy doing this stuff and may do some work part time when I'm retired from the day job. A roller would be ha handy toy.... I mean tool!

Looks to me like the operator, John Deere and the box blade were doing a fine job. Glad to hear you got the approval on getting the drainage issues fixed and more stone to be delivered.

Thanks George, It was a real fun bit of seat time for sure. I'm pretty impressed with the old 314 and the little 210$ Brinly blade. I was able to pull a box blade full of dirt up the hill part way with the old girl before breaking traction. That's with no wheel weights. Those Sundstrand 15 hydros are strong. GT fun at it's best!!

#29 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,228 Thanks
  • 28,593 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 06:58 AM

Brian, you are doing a great job on that. Having to do the same job over and over can get old. Glad the Council is giving you a little lee-way to work toward a permanent solution.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#30 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 07:00 AM

What I am thinking is you will most likely be doing a lot of the upkeep on this parking lot. Being able to pack the gravel in after grading could help keep it in place.
I am going to widen mine, just haven't decided whether to go to 46" or 48". I have metal to do it either way.
  • JDBrian said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brinly, jd314, box blade