• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 06:51 PM

I had a meeting at the church tonight so I decided to load up the 314 and go early to get some time to try out the tractor and the box blade. This is the first time I've done any real work with the 314. I had about an hour to try it out. It was a bit rough at first. The blade worked pretty well with 40lbs of weight on it and no scarifier. The tractor is a beast. I am impressed with the power these things have. I had no trouble with traction even without extra weight. The gravel I'm moving is soft having been pushed to the edges of the lot by the snow plow.
I wish it had foot controls for the hydro and power steering but once I got used to the controls it wasn't too bad. I had to back up to a rock wall and pull the tops off the piles of gravel in close to the wall. I managed to do that without running into the wall or the parked cars. After I got the tops off the piles pulled out I could drag lengthwise and it was easier going. Heres a few pics!

DSCF7589.jpg DSCF7592.jpg
The tractor loaded up Some of the gravel and damage from runoff
DSCF7593.jpg DSCF7594.jpg

DSCF7595.jpg

I managed to get about half way up the lot and get about 1/3 of that bad washout filled in before I had to put it away and go to the meeting.
DSCF7598.jpg

DSCF7600.jpg DSCF7601.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how the blade and the tractor performed. I'm going back on Friday weather permitting to finish the job. It's difficult to find a time when the lot is empty. There are a lot of activities going on in our 2 halls. I'll try to take more pictures then.
  • MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,559 Thanks
  • 3,940 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 07:02 PM

Your blade did a nice job of leveling it out, looks real smooth without the ridges at the edge. Glad it worked out good for you. :thumbs:
  • JDBrian said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 07:12 PM

Doing a great job, Brian! The more you 'play' with it, the easier it is to do what you want. You'll be a 'Pro' in no time!
  • JDBrian said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 07:20 PM

Kenny, I'll have a sore neck tomorrow for sure. Between looking back at the blade and trying to maneuver the travel lever and lift while steering I was a bit clumsy at first. I really needed to just try this out by myself so I could experiment with it. On Friday there is going to be at least 1 other person there to clean up with a rake etc. I had to get off the tractor and move a number of 4-6" diameter rocks that were buried in the gravel. I don't know where they came from. The lot is in bad shape. It really needs gravel and the eves troughs need to be directed into a buried pipe to a low area away from the lot. The washed out area was up to 6" deep. It doesn't look that bad in the picture.
  • KennyP said thank you

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 07:32 PM

Takes some getting used too, that's for sure! I think you did fine for first try with it. The big stuff may be the first layer they put in and gotten pulled out by the snow plows. Put that in the washed out area. It'll help hold the smaller stuff in there when it rains.

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 07:39 PM

Does the snow plow have skids on it. They need to adjust the plow not to dig into the gravel so much. You did a very nice job and you will only get better with practice.. :thumbs:
  • JDBrian said thank you

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 08:16 PM

Does the snow plow have skids on it. They need to adjust the plow not to dig into the gravel so much. You did a very nice job and you will only get better with practice.. :thumbs:

He's using his new box blade, Brian, not a snow plow. LOL

#8 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 08:24 PM

Looks like the box blade worked well.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 08:24 PM

I was talking about when the rock got pushed out of the parking lot. Brian did a great job pulling it all back in with his new box blade. The guy snow plowing can adjust the skids on his plow or do like we did and mount depth adjustment tires on there plow when plowing the snow off so he doesn't dig in so deep.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 08:30 PM

Okay! I'm on the same page now! LOL

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,290 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 08:42 PM

Brian, looks like the 314 (and driver) did a great job. Better watch how many people know you have that rig and a trailer, you'll be getting volunteered to do all kinds of stuff.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 04:51 AM

I'm not sure what the snow removal contractor is using for a blade. The lot is in such bad shape that I'm not sure how he is plowing it with all the rocks coming up through the base. We normally have a work party on a sat. morning in the spring and move that gravel by hand. That didn't happen this year so I decided to get a box blade and see what I could do. Any excuse for a new attachment and some seat time!LOL At the church council we are discussing upgrades to the parking lot so hopefully we can get the drainage issue dealt with and at least get some gravel in where it's been scraped away over the years.

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,290 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 06:27 AM

Around here a favorite of parking lots is something we call "Bank Gravel". I'm sure it's a local phrase, but it has just a little clay in with it,kind of unwashed looking, slightly larger aggregate. Helps hold stuff in place, of course the runoff issues need dealt with first.

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 08:26 AM

Well Brian You have made a believer of me! You did a good job.
BTW, doing a little volunteer work at the church, can be rewarding and is commendable.
As far as re graveling the lot, it depends on what's available in your area.
For about 40 yrs Van Dusseldorp had a sand pit and sold the county washed river gravel for road maintenence. When he sold the pit to Martin Marietta, he put a clause in the contract, that if they ever stopped pumping gravel the property was to revert to the town to be made a park.
That will never happen in my lifetime. It's over the Jordan Aquifier and will never run out of Gravel.
It was ok from the standpoint that frost heave would push the smooth stones back to the surface every winter.The roads could be tricky to drive on after the grader came through untill it packed a bit..
But when the clay got hard in the summer it would all move out of the tracks and have to be graded often
For the last 20 yrs the county has used what we call Road Pack. That's 3/4" crushed limestone with a lot of powdery fines in it.
That will pack down and the fines practically make it like concrete.t does not move around near as much and is better in my opinion.

Edited by JD DANNELS, May 15, 2012 - 08:31 AM.

#15 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 09:03 AM

Brian, that looks like it did just what you wanted it to do. Congratulations. I'm sure it is appreciated by your fellow church members too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brinly, jd314, box blade