• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,422 Thanks
  • 2,785 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 01:16 PM

Last nite i took parts from all over the db shop and built my self a Frankenstein DB. This all started saturday when first i couldnt get the 99 model to fire up, and after cleaning the points, got out to the garden only to find the clutch had smoked. I had the harrow packer on it at the time and had to push the whole works back to the shed. Once inside i found right off that the clutch hub wouldnt turn, so i started soaking it with pb , let it sit, then tried it every once in a while, but it was no go. I got out a Suburban, disced and harrow up the garden so i could finish planting my pop corn and beans, then did all the bedding plants. After supper, i decided i needed a back up walker for the garden All my other DB's are nice and pretty so i couldnt see using a restored one to till with.

Using a chassie of a 51/209 model, i then needed some tires/rims. The only extras i had are from a 135 model, in blue, so on they went. Low and behold i couldnt find a hitch improvement to put on the older style motor mount, so i found a nice gold mount again from a newer model, and a draw bar, so i could hook up to the attachments. The engine a model 6 briggs was just lying in a pile of other stuff. The fuel tank was half full of water, so off it went, and one from a continental engine was used after cleaning it, patching a pin hole in the end, and removing a rather large nut inside put there by others. Then it was a pulley off another unit, an aircleaner from another shelf, and a few more bits and pieces. After the first firing go round, the carb float leaked so back the pile for another carb, and success. We now had a running unit and things loked good until i found the clutch was stuck. Off it came and was cleaned, reassembled, but it still sticks.

I stuck a plow on the back, as an anchor, for this mornings test start, with the clutch stuck. Probally shouldnt try this at your home, as the tractor will take off at firing. This engine fires up on the first half a pull, and the tractor will flat run you down if your slow. Got to the garden area and put the plow in the ground, with the clutch out and it stopped, but if you lifted a little it would creep forwards. Made a few passes and it seems to be getting better, but not right yet. This project took about 4 1/2 hrs, using just parts i had lying around. She's ugly and crude, but will pull a vator just fine, and maybe i'll roll the yard with it.

Always remember you have to be a big man to stop a DB's forward progress, they climb trees , garage walls and all other objects. The army should have used them for the base of a tank.

franky db 001.JPG

franky db 003.JPG

franky db 004.JPG
  • MH81 said thank you

#2 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 03:10 PM

I can tell you how to stop, plow into a root. Then it will sit there and spin, and shimmy from side to side. If you watch my DB plowing video you can see it. LOL

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,663 Thanks
  • 28,314 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 06:07 PM

Must be the week for frankensteining, I did that to two tillers this wknd.

Thanks for the pics.

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 08:17 PM

Great use of the materials on hand! I wish I had enough parts lying around to do that!

Must be the week for frankensteining, I did that to two tillers this weekend...

And no pics posted of it yet???