• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 adolphsson09 OFFLINE  

adolphsson09
  • Member No: 9844
  • 249 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 11:18 PM

I gave my neighbor 250 bucks for his Snapper 1855 tractor and Massey 4850 Tiller I had to put a carb kit in it since it had been sitting awhile which was over 100 bucks and i also had to have the rear pto driveshaft made for over 100 bucks since no one was able to find the actual u joints for it now i need to replace the 2 v belts for the transmission anyone know the easiest way to replace them So far i couldnt be happier with the unit except for the fact that ive put 2 sets of points in this since ive owned it for the last 3 years But i did read somewhere that these Onan engines are hard on points any truth to that or is there something im missing here I ordered the actual stock points 160-1328 but the point case is to small for these, the holes line up but they will not go into the case as the adjusting screw catches the upper right corner so im guessing there are different style point casings so im guessing i will have to keep putting aftermarket points in this I bought this for one reason my garden but there is a guy here in Iowa who has a rear pto deck 54" but i have no idea if this deck is the same as the undercarriage deck or what i will need to attach the deck He gave me a complete parts manual for both the tractor and the tiller I love this tractor but it seems as though parts for this thing are very hard to find and when i do find them these guys want solid gold for them seems crazy to me can anyone tell me what this is actually worth I would appreciate any and all input Thanks adolphsson09

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 09:11 AM

WOW....what a smoking deal! The tiller alone is worth twice what you paid!
I have points over 20yrs old in some of my older engines & still sparking strong. I have a couple BF's (70's)I took off & laid back in storage that were running fine when I took them off, and I'd venture to say they had the original points still.
Your point's case.....is the cover on the back side, or does the cover slide down over the entire points? If yours has the plate that goes on the back side of the box, then you have the wrong points. You would need 160-1154 which is just the points themselves, as you use your original points backer plate.

#3 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 09:17 AM

Sounds like a steal of a deal on that package. Good luck trouble shooting.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 10:19 AM

Nice tractor and an even nicer deal. Have you replaced the condensor. If it's bad then the points will arc and wear out prematurely.

#5 adolphsson09 OFFLINE  

adolphsson09
  • Member No: 9844
  • 249 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 11:33 PM

The points cover is on the front of the box if you are facing the front of the tractor directly under the exhaust which seems like a bad place as it is hard to work on when hot But i did replace the condenser took the old points out cleaned them up and it seems to be running like a champ now My next headache is replacing the two drivebelts right behind the engine I thought i would be able to pull the pin on the coupler and slide the belt off only one since the other tore up and replace them but the coupler will not budge Am i gonna have to loosen the engine and take out the four bolts that tie that shaft to the engine and move the engine ahead to replace these belts and also is that an adjuster for the belts on the (passenger) right hand side of the tractor Thanks for the responses guys Im new here