• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 spidermonkey OFFLINE  

spidermonkey
  • Member No: 9843
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 10:59 PM

Does anyone know where I could find a copy of a 316K manual and maybe even parts book? I just picked up a JD316K this weekend. I am in need of the LH side engine cover and front grill, seat, along with misc. other items. Its going to need new belts, deck wheels (for a H048G). I am new to garden tractors so this is a learning experience. Engine seems to run well. Hydraulics seem good. Engine has a tebdency to stall when you increase the RPM when its cold. Probably needs a carb clean. I am not sure what the prices are for these but I picked it up for $600.00 Seems like a solid tractor that just needs some TLC. All the important stuff seems ok (hyd sytem, drive train, etc. Very little rust, although needs a painty job :)

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 11:08 PM

Welcome to GTtalk, glad you joined us here. The Kohler's have always been cold natured right after start up. If it does that after a couple minutes, I would look at the carb.. JD. manuals are hard to find on the net because JD. has Copyright laws that they inforce. Maybe someone here can E-mail you a copy. Good Luck, and post some photo's if you can.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 04:57 AM

Welcome to the forum. I have a 314 which is a basic version of the 316K. They are strong tractors and well worth repairing. If you check out sponsors one of them may be able to help you find the parts you need. As far as manuals go if you send me a personal message that includes your email address I'll see what I can find. Give me a day or 2 as It's busy right now. If you have specific problems post them here. Some trouble spots can be the steering linkage bushings, axle pivot bushings, motor mounts and driveshaft couplers. The hydro linkage can get seized up as well making it want to creep when in neutral.

#4 spidermonkey OFFLINE  

spidermonkey
  • Member No: 9843
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome. I look foprward to fixing this little tractor up. I was giving it a look over again last night and wondered how high the hydraulic oil should be up the clear(ish) tube by the rear axle? There is a slot in the steel that the tube is sitting in and I assume that this is to act as a site glass. Its near the bottom of the slot, maybe even a little lower.

#5 bontai Joe OFFLINE  

bontai Joe

• Member No: 6552
  • 6 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 10:18 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome. I look foprward to fixing this little tractor up. I was giving it a look over again last night and wondered how high the hydraulic oil should be up the clear(ish) tube by the rear axle? There is a slot in the steel that the tube is sitting in and I assume that this is to act as a site glass. Its near the bottom of the slot, maybe even a little lower.

The fluid level should be in the middle of the sight glass.

#6 bontai Joe OFFLINE  

bontai Joe

• Member No: 6552
  • 6 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 10:21 PM

Oh, and you asked about a parts manual in addition to the shop manual. You can access the parts manual on line at Deere's website for FREE. I highly recommend it as it gives current parts availability, prices based on where your local dealer is, and current substitution part numbers for parts that are longer made if there are any. Go to www.deere.com and click your way to parts. When you see model number, enter 316
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 316k, kohler, 316, deere