#1 dstaggs OFFLINE  

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 552 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 07:02 PM

Need Advise on pole saws (gas) Need one to cut limbs off and never owned one. Stihl is what I have run for chainsaws for the last 20 years, Dealers also make a difference.

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,345 Thanks
  • 4,936 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 07:46 PM

My brother in-law and now my nephew have been Stihl dealers for years. That's about all I have owned for gas powered equipment and have had excellent service from them and their products. If your happy with the dealer and their products I guess I would stay the course.
  • dstaggs said thank you

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,707 Thanks
  • 28,350 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 08:29 PM

We bought a Poulan and it's had the same carb issues as every other weed eater I've owned. Even with SeaFoam. Wherever you get it, go with a service agreement. That way when your 18 month old unit won't run, you can take it back to them and not get frustrated.
  • dstaggs said thank you

#4 Kurtee OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7561
  • 452 Thanks
  • 410 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 08:39 PM

I have Echo and they work great. I have fixxed length and a telescopic one. Handy tools. They work great if you need to trim an evergreen tree that has limbs all the way to the gound, you can reach in and cut them off and not crawl in to cut them. Also handy for storm clean up. As I said the Echo works for me but I the Stihl should be fine also although the dealer I bought from sold Husquvarna, and Stihl and was pushing the Echo. Good luck.

• dstaggs said thank you

#5 Hammer OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7332
  • 113 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 08:40 PM

I am an arborist by trade, Stihl is all we run. We have 4 of the gas pole saws, they are good units. You can get a cheaper saw, but don't expect it to do much.
  • dstaggs said thank you

#6 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 08:43 PM

I have had all Stihl two cycles at most of the courses I have worked at including two pole saws at the last place one was a fixed length model and the other had an adjustable overall reach. The only issue I have ever had with them was that they refuse to furnish parts and maintenance manuals to US users but do supply them north of the border. A little pricey but good dependable machines.

• dstaggs said thank you

#7 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,753 Thanks
  • 1,396 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 06:57 AM

The dealer is critical to this issue, but Stihl has been and is still my choice for good stuff. We have some Poulins simply because of cost for the really light duty stuff and grubbing in the dirt type work (they tend to be throw-aways, although a couple of them are around 10yrs old now). Everything else we really need to work dependably and safely is Stihl, hands down. The only other saw that has ever held up long term is a Tanaka that we bought around 1978 or so. It still works regularly, but parts are not available around this local. (I did hear that somebody was importing them again). Good luck in your quest.
  • dstaggs said thank you