5 replies to this topic

#1 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 11:04 PM

i have had the chance to work on a couple sears suburban tractors down the street where i do my side work. man, i am impressed with these little tractors. i finally got a SS12 to run properly and man that little tractor can really mow some grass. it is probably one of the faster mowing of the old school garden tractors i have mowed with. it also does a really nice job and cuts well. its an effiecent deck design that quick disperses the clipping, something that more modern machines fail at miserably. i dont really care for tecumseh engines much but it seems to run well. its really too bad that parts for these machines are somewhat hard to come by. this guy has several of these tractors which is where the parts are comming from. he also has a brand new, never used suburban deck, something that has to be rare at this point. i think these tractors were well made and undrated

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 11:13 PM

The older Sears (ones that have 'Sears', not 'Craftsman' on the hood) have a good following, for good reason.

A dialed in Tecumseh is a good engine, imo. Trouble is, I've never gotten one dialed in correctly before.

They are a tough machine, with a reasonable price tag, in my area. One shortcoming is the odd (narrow) size of their 3 point hitch. Smaller than Cat 0, making implement choices brand specific.

#3 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 11:23 PM

anyone ever do a repower on one of these tractors? a kohler k series, briggs vangard, kohler command or any other engine including honda clones?

what exactly does "dialed in" mean, is that just a matter of adjusting the mixtures, thats pretty easy. he also has a 16/6 suburban, that actually has a OHV engine. i didnt even realize that the OHV technology was used in small engines. i believe that tractor was built in the late 70's. they also had suburbans with onan twins, that has to be a beast.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 07:30 AM

I love the old Sears tractors. My go to is a SS12 and I agree, when they run right, they run great and work very hard.... All that said, I agree the carbs can be fickle. I recently have been tinkering with a rotospader that I've rebuilt the barb twice with no luck whatsoever. It would run so lean that I had to remove the power jet completely just to get her to stay running. And only then with half choke. After yet another wasted hour, I bolted on another carb and away we went.

Seems the carb body has an invisible crack in the casting that was allowing it to suck air thru the breather hole. Wasn't until I started really poking and prodding at it that it became visible. Purple PVC primer finally showed it to me. Live and learn, I guess
  • IamSherwood said thank you

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 07:57 PM

Alan (MH81), could you please explain the process you used to discover the leak, using the PVC primer?
I have an evil LME carb as well,and I swear it's sucking air through a crack, as it warms up, and the crack
expands. Id sure like to test my theory.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 08:13 PM

Sure, pour purple primer on where you think the crack is and then wipe or (if you're outside away from everything) gently blow the extra off. If you've previously cleaned it, the crack should show purple.

Mine was in the top of the bowl area, between the needle valve and where the main jet goes up in.
  • IamSherwood and Sawdust have said thanks