9 replies to this topic

#1 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 09:51 PM

I have a L120 lawn mower that the last 3 times I have mowed with it has died on me. I mow the ditches along the road and can run it for 10 min. or so then it starts to sputter like its out of gas. I bring up to the road and level out and she will sputter all the way home 300 yards or so. Sometimes she will die on me. I have had to choke her to get back home, sometimes with the choke fully on. Now get this. By the time I get to the garage and it dies or I kill it, I will leave it set for 2 min. Reach down and she will start right up and run great. I will turn around and go back and finish mowing with no problems. Its like someone has shut off the gas and its running out of gas. I have observed the gas filter and it looks to be low or empty. The first week I had this problem I checked to see if I was out of gas in the tank or low since i was mowing at a sharp angle in the ditch and thought maybe the gas was running away from the pick up hose. I did notice some dirt in the bottom of the tank plus a lady bug type insect. Could I have picked up a piece of debrie and sucked it into the hose? Could I have a coil going bad? Any Ideas or anyone else having this problem with a L120?

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 09:56 PM

It sounds like fuel blockage to me, I would check from the tank back to the carb. even drop the bowl if it has one.
  • redcarkids said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 09:58 PM

Possibly just a stopped up fuel cap. If it can't vent, it builds vacuum as the fuel gets used. And yes, trash can plug the outlet on the tank. We're going to have to remove the fuel tank on our 145hp Massey because of trash blocking the outlet.

#4 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 12:19 PM

Possibly just a stopped up fuel cap. If it can't vent, it builds vacuum as the fuel gets used. And yes, trash can plug the outlet on the tank. We're going to have to remove the fuel tank on our 145hp Massey because of trash blocking the outlet.

You no I took the gas tank cap off yesterday to check the tank and noticed as i took off the cap there was a lot of vacuum on the cap. I wounder if the gas cap hole has gotten plugged somehow? I will check this first. Also thought about taking the hose off at the gas filter and blowing air back thru the line to the tank to see if anythig came out of it that may have gotton sucked up into the line. I don't fill anything could get by the filter on up to the carb.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 01:01 PM

I was going to say check the gas cap as well. I've run into that problem a couple of times over the years. If you can see a lot of debris in the tank it's time to give the whole fuel system a good cleaning.

#6 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 01:20 PM

You no I took the gas tank cap off yesterday to check the tank and noticed as i took off the cap there was a lot of vacuum on the cap. I wounder if the gas cap hole has gotten plugged somehow? I will check this first. Also thought about taking the hose off at the gas filter and blowing air back thru the line to the tank to see if anythig came out of it that may have gotton sucked up into the line. I don't fill anything could get by the filter on up to the carb.

Yes if you are getting a vacuum when removing the tank, I would think that would be the main problem right there. I think Daniel Is right on the money on this one!

#7 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 04:19 PM

Well I went out today and my son ran the mower for about 10 min. When he came back in the shop I unscrewed thge gas cap slowly and heard this vacuum noise again. I took the cap off and the little hole in the top looked pluged. Took a dental pick and cleaned out the hole. blew thru it with my mouth and all seemed very clear. Will try this for a while and see if I have any more problems. Thanks for the Ideas guys. would not have thought to check the cap out.

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 08:56 PM

I've had that problem myself and had to think about it a while. The "sucking air" sound when I unscrewed the cap was the clue that I needed to tell me what the problem was. I hope that you've got it figured out!

#9 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 09:58 AM

Well so far the gas cap seems to have been the problem. I have ran the mower about 3 times since with no problems. Thanks again for all the help.

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 12:02 PM

Glad you've got it sorted out. It's good when it's a simple problem like that. I've had that happen to me before. The first time was with a snowblower. Took me a while to figure it out. Pushing one of those things 300 ft to the garage after it quits at the end of the driveway is not fun.