caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 08:27 PM

When I brought my 704 home, there was a straight pipe on the exhaust. I've wanted to put a muffler on it since the first time I had it running and my ears rang for several minutes afterward. The problem was that the end of the pipe that was not threaded into the block, was not threaded at all.
Back when I first moved into the house, the PO had left a lot of really old tools in the barn. At first I was going to just get rid of them all. (I was much younger and more foolish then) Among the tool selection he left me was a huge thread wrench and a box of dies to go with it. They have been stored in the "attic" of the barn for almost 20 years now. I went through the wooden box that had all of the dies in it and couldn't find one for 1" pipe that would fit the thread wrench. There was also several old square dies designed to be used with a monkey wrench. Thankfully I have one of those too. After much struggling to get the die to start cutting, I managed to bang out about 3/4" of threads and install the muffler (Phew!) For any of you that have ever used one of the modern hand thread wrenches such as is made by Rigid, this was NOTHING like that! My hat's off to the guys who used this tool on a daily basis! This was the hardest fought 3/4" of threads that I have ever cut! I'm glad that I have the tool at my disposal, but I hope that I don't have to use it again soon! I snapped a couple of pictures for those who may not know what I'm talking about. On the left is a pic of the tools and the finished product. On the right is a closer pic of the new threads.

IMAG0352.jpg IMAG0353.jpg
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 08:37 PM

That's great! You can't beat the old tools! You did a great job on the threads too. I've been there so I know what you are talking about lol. :thumbs:
  • caseguy said thank you

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 08:37 PM

I think my Dad had a tool that would handle that die. I don't think it was really for use with a hand wrench. But you got it done! and with the tools on hand. I know that feels great.
  • caseguy said thank you

#4 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 08:49 PM

I know the feelings as I have several old tools,wagon parts and the wife calls me a hoarder for keeping my (junk). Tools and Threads look great.
  • caseguy said thank you

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 08:53 PM

I've never seen a square die like that. Thanks for Sharing.
  • caseguy said thank you

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 08:59 PM

Very cool that you never got rid of it. Looks like it did a nice job cutting the threads on the pipe. It is amazing how everything advances with technology.
  • caseguy said thank you

#7 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 09:20 PM

Those threads look great! They might hav been harder to cut but I bet they will serve their purpose just as good as any other one!
  • caseguy said thank you

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 09:25 PM

I think my Dad had a tool that would handle that die. I don't think it was really for use with a hand wrench. But you got it done! and with the tools on hand. I know that feels great.

After struggling with the monkey wrench (it's the largest that I have too) I'd have to think that there was a tool for it. The one thread wrench that I have has 2 dies for each size, the other has 4 individual dies for each size just like the modern Rigid ones. I wish that I could've used that one! There are several pipe dies in the box, they are all square like the one pictured, but differ in the outside dimension as well. The problem that I had getting it to start was that I couldn't get even pressure on the face of the die to get it to bite.

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 09:39 PM

Steve, Very nice job with the Old school Die. We still have some of those in the shop, but never use them anymore. That is the tough way to cut threads...
  • caseguy said thank you

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 09:48 PM

I would think the square dies were to be used with a tool that extended on both sides to even the pressure. Using the monkey wrench cocks the load to one side, which tends to try to lock the die to the pipe. I believe you when you say it was a beast to cut those threads Steve!
  • caseguy said thank you

#11 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,511 Thanks
  • 5,029 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 09:48 PM

Nice job on the threads. Looks like they turned out just fine. Here is a suggestion for the next time you need to thread a short piece of pipe like that. Put the square die in the vice and use a pipe wrench to turn the pipe. I think you will find this to be an easier way to do it. Good luck.
  • caseguy said thank you

#12 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 10:02 PM

Cvans beat me
the die in a vise.
my old Craftsman pipe threader uses square dies. I have a few larger dies too.
I am always looking for old tools.
  • caseguy said thank you

#13 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 10:04 PM

...Here is a suggestion for the next time you need to thread a short piece of pipe like that. Put the square die in the vice and use a pipe wrench to turn the pipe. I think you will find this to be an easier way to do it. Good luck.

Now why didn't I think of that!?!? Thanks for the suggestion, I'll bet that would have been MUCH easier!

#14 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 10:05 PM

After struggling with the monkey wrench (it's the largest that I have too) I'd have to think that there was a tool for it. The one thread wrench that I have has 2 dies for each size, the other has 4 individual dies for each size just like the modern Rigid ones. I wish that I could've used that one! There are several pipe dies in the box, they are all square like the one pictured, but differ in the outside dimension as well. The problem that I had getting it to start was that I couldn't get even pressure on the face of the die to get it to bite.

Yes, we used the 4 die style when we plumbed the house. But Dad had something that looked like an oversize version of the tool you see used for smaller sized bolts at your local hardware store. I recall that it was square rather than hexagonal like the smaller ones.

PS I could thread the 1/2 inch pipe at that age, could even start it myself when I got a bit older. But it was a while before I could thread 3/4 pipe. I would jump up, lock my arms and hang on the end of the pipe threader......Gravity just wasn't enough to make the lever move down :bounce:

Edited by HowardsMF155, May 12, 2012 - 10:42 PM.

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 07:05 AM

Boy, that is 'old school'. Glad it worked for you. I think I would have ground a slight taper on the end of the pipe to help get it started.
  • caseguy said thank you