• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 brider OFFLINE  

brider
  • Member No: 9824
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 08:19 PM

I've been looking for a good 14-18 hp garden tractor for some time, and a guy near me just listed an Ariens "GT 14" tractor. Just a single pic of the tractor and mowing deck, he doesn't give any other real info except to say it works great and has a hydro lift. It's orange, and has an exposed round air cleaner on the left side, like a Kohler single engine with the crankshaft mounted longitudinally.

I've heard of Ariens, but there is almost NO real info out there on an internet search. I certainly didn't find any info on the GT 14 model.

IS there a GT 14 model? Where can a guy find model info, history, etc? My concern is finding a snow blade for that rascal, were attachments common with other brands?

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 08:31 PM

1st off :welcometogttalk: brider! I know Orange CT well, nice area.

I'll try and find some info for you, I am not familiar with them either. plus I am certain other members will come along with info also.

#3 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 09:15 PM

Not a lot of info out there. But I have found that it is The same Tractor as the New holland S-14. Gravely sold them under there name also.

The engine is a 14hp Kohler.

From what I see the people that do own them, like them.

Still digging, just thought I'd share the little I see so far.

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,575 Thanks
  • 3,957 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 09:34 PM

New Holland designed and made the tractors, then sold the design to Ariens while still making for a few years. Most parts are still available thru dealers. They offered several attachments, snow plow, snowblower, tiller, leaf vac. The different models all use the same attachments. Also came with the rock shaft set up for 3pt. The ones made in the late 70's were built very heavy. The high frame rails make it a little tough to work on the engine. Overall a nicely designed tractor, but never hugely popular. Should have a front, mid and rear pto. I grew up using one of these, and its still running today with the original motor. Finding a plow for it could be fairly hard due to how many are out there. For mine I took an auction find and fabbed in a new mount for it.

Edited by shorty, May 12, 2012 - 09:54 PM.

• chris m said thank you

#5 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,575 Thanks
  • 3,957 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 09:50 PM

Welcome to GTtalk brider. :thumbs: :welcometogttalk:
Hope you get all the info you want and enjoy the site. (Forgot to welcome you in the first post. CRS) All the manuels are still available from Ariens online free- owners, parts, and service.

#6 brider OFFLINE  

brider
  • Member No: 9824
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 09:33 AM

Not a lot of info out there. But I have found that it is The same Tractor as the New holland S-14. Gravely sold them under there name also.

The engine is a 14hp Kohler.

Now we're getting somewhere! The tractor looks good, and from doing a little research for photos, I found that the one I'm looking at is a hydro, with the lever on the right fender. I wonder how people like it there? I'm trying to imagine using a lever there.

I'm thinking of buying it, since I'm not worried about the hydro unit (they are all pretty bulletproof in garden-tractor usage), and the Kohler engines are a no-brainer. What I AM concerned with is:

A. The rear pin-hitch in the photos I've seen looks a little weak, like the sheet-metal rear box sections that support the axle on typical big-box-store tractors. I will need somehow to adapt a 2" ball.

B. The availability of a snow/dirt blade. Not REALLY relishing the idea of fabbing up a mount for a different-brand blade.

If anyone has any info on these (2) concerns, please pass it along, otherwise, I'll start searching on the New Holland parts.

Thanks!

#7 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,575 Thanks
  • 3,957 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 02:25 PM

The rear hitch is of the box store tractor style. But it is tough enough to handle everything the 14 horse kohler can put out. I think you would have enough clearance to put a ball on it.

#8 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 611
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 01:11 PM

I agree with shorty, you should be able to move anything you could reasonably expect a 14hp tractor to move. I have a 2" ball on my GT20 (same chassis I believe) so that I can move my landscape trailer around the yard. I've had a yard of topsoil in the trailer and it didn't bend anything, but I try to make sure the tongue is not too heavy before I drop it on the Ariens.

Also, keep an eye on craigslist. The plows come up every once in awhile.

http://minneapolis.c...3012847030.html
http://pittsburgh.cr...3001718181.html

Is this you?
http://hartford.crai...2971013147.html
  • shorty said thank you

#9 bondoben OFFLINE  

bondoben

• Member No: 5776
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 08:44 PM

Just bought a GT19 several weeks ago. Didn't know much about them except a friend had one since he bought it new. What I've found since is for the very most part all the GT series are pretty much the same. The most noted difference is the various powerplants and the upper hp had power steering. My 19 horse Kohler ( GT 19 ) has the ps, 5hp more then you but only about 1.5-2 lbs. torgue more. So the difference between the 14 and 19 hp I think are minimal. The frames I believe are beafier then the Cubs and JD. I have a 123 Cub, 110 JD, and 140 JD. and their frames are thinner. Things I would suggest to look for/at are the electric clutches. Make sure they turn on-run for a while-and turn off properly. While your at the controls, make sure they work. Many have by-passed the seat safety switch and have an electrical bug or so. Check to see if the hydraulics keep things up in the air for, well, ever. Mine leaks down. Not right away, but still leaks down. Slop in the steering. It can be fixed once, but thats all. Check the hydrostatic lever. When its in neutral it shouldn't be moving. Mine did. Rather easy to fix, but still. If your going to be using it to mow GET UNDERNEATH IT! These babies have at least a 3/16 " thick deck. There is a square center plate connected to the deck that is used to raise/lower the deck. It conceals alot of sins. You've got to check for holes. 3/16 is not easy to fabricate. They are a bear to fix. I have a 1 7/8 ball on mine with no problems. The frame their is more then enough for any garden tractor. Make sure you get any/all parts and spare parts. I probably will keep this one forever. It's rebuildable, heavy duty, and it does a better job of mowing then my other tractors. Good luck.

#10 AriensDon OFFLINE  

AriensDon
  • Member No: 9768
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 07:23 PM

Hello and welcome. All I have to say is someone needs to learn what sheet metal is, because there is no sheet metal anywhere on the frames of these GT's. I have had chains hooked pulling stuff and a 2" ball never had any problems in the 30 years I have my Ariens. I think the rear deck is heavier sheet metal than those big box store mowers unless you have a fiberglass rear deck. You won't find a heavier built garden tractor and it's weighs around 900lbs. Parts can be got from Jack's small engines, rcpw, local ariens dealer and Ebay has alot except what ever I'm wanting.
Sorry I'm kind of partial to my Ariens

#11 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,575 Thanks
  • 3,957 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 08:08 PM

You won't find a heavier built garden tractor and it's weighs around 900lbs. Parts can be got from Jack's small engines, rcpw, local ariens dealer and Ebay has alot except what ever I'm wanting.
Sorry I'm kind of partial to my Ariens

I totally agree about being built heavy, the frame is overkill for the size. A few of the parts are interchangeable with other brands. When I got mine about 12 years ago, it was stripped to redo a John Deere. I don't know how much actually fit over, I just know it was a pain getting replacements. Some attachments have the identical design with exception of the hookup. Who copied who I don't know or was it an outside company making it for both of them. I'm partial to the Ariens garden tractors to.

#12 Redeagle OFFLINE  

Redeagle
  • Member No: 10849
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 02:45 PM

i have a gt14 I love this tractor ,has rear center and freight lifts shaft driven deck with 3 blades
uses 30 wt oil in trans , really heavy built, I think heaver than a jedI don't remember just now , but the torque between the 14 hp and the 18 hp GT18 is very little. I just listed mine on craigs today
I am 75 years old and have end stage kidney failure,I have to get rid of 2or3 tractors
My opinion,,,you can't go wrong with an older ariens it is not too hard to find parts
you may call me at 205-222-7859

I've been looking for a good 14-18 hp garden tractor for some time, and a guy near me just listed an Ariens "GT 14" tractor. Just a single pic of the tractor and mowing deck, he doesn't give any other real info except to say it works great and has a hydro lift. It's orange, and has an exposed round air cleaner on the left side, like a Kohler single engine with the crankshaft mounted longitudinally.

I've heard of Ariens, but there is almost NO real info out there on an internet search. I certainly didn't find any info on the GT 14 model.

IS there a GT 14 model? Where can a guy find model info, history, etc? My concern is finding a snow blade for that rascal, were attachments common with other brands?

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 03:06 PM

Welcome, Redeagle! Sorry about the medical problems. Hang around a bit, you may be able to help some folks!
  • Redeagle said thank you