• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 ariensman2 OFFLINE  

ariensman2
  • Member No: 8720
  • 8 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted June 02, 2012 - 08:01 PM

It is a fairly new fuel pump, the plastic one but I think like mentioned above the fuel starts to boil. It appears the engine heat is directed all to the RH side on the engine which is where the fuel pump is. Terrible design on Kohlers part. I have the kohler magnum twin in my Ariens and that machine mows circles around the PK all day long. I wish there was a better engine to fit in a PK without too much fabricating as the machine is great but the engines are horrible.

#17 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 04, 2012 - 02:24 PM

I disagree, the engines are good, but underpowered for running things off the front PTO. For pulling and pushing things they are as strong as they need to be. For your big 60 inch deck, the little 14 horse kohler is underpowered but these tractors are geared so low that I have never had a time where I ran out of power before I broke traction. With your tandem transmissions you should never need any more power to the wheels then it already has.

Here is one ash log that I drug. The k321 was fine with it being there. This tractor only has the one tranny so I couldn't gear as low as you can. At the base it was 19 inches and about 20 feet long.

Posted Image

#18 ariensman2 OFFLINE  

ariensman2
  • Member No: 8720
  • 8 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted June 04, 2012 - 08:23 PM

I disagree, the engines are good, but underpowered for running things off the front PTO. For pulling and pushing things they are as strong as they need to be. For your big 60 inch deck, the little 14 horse kohler is underpowered but these tractors are geared so low that I have never had a time where I ran out of power before I broke traction. With your tandem transmissions you should never need any more power to the wheels then it already has.

Here is one ash log that I drug. The k321 was fine with it being there. This tractor only has the one tranny so I couldn't gear as low as you can. At the base it was 19 inches and about 20 feet long.

Posted Image

Thats exactly what I mean. Like I mentioned above the machine is great and simple but the engines have serious deficiencies in the PTO department. I guess most old tractors used those same engines and they became a household name.