Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips and how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

Mf 4850 Tiller Gear Box Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

Always Tinkering on something

• Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 247 Thanks
  • 1,055 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 05:58 PM

Finally had a chance to get some seat time and start tilling gardens.While out tilling today I noticed that the tiller seemed to stop turning while heavy going.I figured it was the slip clutch not tight enough.I took the cover/guard off and tightened all the bolts 1/2 turn.It seemed to still want to stop so this time I took the cover off and left it off.I watched it as I was tilling and it looked like the slip clutch was still slipping.I tightened the bolts another 1/2 turn and it still didn't work right.After further investigating I found that when I turned the pto shaft by hand the output shaft was barely turning.I took the gear box off and apart and to my dismay the smaller bevel gear the teeth are worn right off. Now I'am not sure what too do as I doubt the gears are a dealer item. Anyone ever have to change gears in there's. I might just have to try and source a whole complete gear box,or buy a new tiller.The funny part of this is that I was going to buy a new tiller last week but talked myself out of it,now I'll have to rethink my thinking.Larry

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 16,434 Thanks
  • 22,602 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 06:17 PM

Just a right angle gearbox right? Wonder if a BGB off an Allis or Simplicity could be made to work? May be a box off another make may have the same gear, as most of these gear boxes are made by a company specializing in them. Any markings on the gearbox housing?

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 16,434 Thanks
  • 22,602 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 06:18 PM

If you decide to get a new tiller, you can send the remains of that 4850 down my way for a proper burial. :smilewink:

#4 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• Contributor
  • 247 Thanks
  • 1,055 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 06:58 PM

Just a right angle gearbox right? Wonder if a BGB off an Allis or Simplicity could be made to work? May be a box off another make may have the same gear, as most of these gear boxes are made by a company specializing in them. Any markings on the gearbox housing?

Markings say DURST A160

Its just a right angle gear box only its not one to one as the gears are different sizes. Which I knew the Ratio.Kinda hard to tell right now as I haven't pulled it all apart otherwise I'd count the teeth. I'll be looking for a gear box off something thats for sure.These tillers are very well built and once a new gear box is found it'll be a new tiller more or less.

A new tiller was just wishful thinking way cheaper to fix the old one. Its also funny in that I usually have a different tractor with a tiller that I've fixed and have for sale but not this time of course when I need one.Now I'll have to scramble looking for something to work and fit.

I looked in the parts book part# 1 050 873 m1 its actually one piece its listed as Shaft&Bevel Pinion the larger gear could be bought seperate. Looks more like I'll be getting a gear box and adapting it next week. Just going to need to figure out the gear Ratio. Larry

Edited by massey driver, May 12, 2012 - 07:59 PM.

#5 adolphsson09 OFFLINE  

adolphsson09
  • Member No: 9844
  • 24 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 10:12 PM

Did you ever find the gear for this Mine broke a snap ring then tossed the bearings out The teeth are a little worn too much for some locals who rebuild to try and rebuild Personally i think with new bearings and rings it should be tight enough in the gear meshing to work but they insist i need that new gear Question is where do i find one

#6 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• Contributor
  • 247 Thanks
  • 1,055 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 12:12 PM

Did you ever find the gear for this Mine broke a snap ring then tossed the bearings out The teeth are a little worn too much for some locals who rebuild to try and rebuild Personally i think with new bearings and rings it should be tight enough in the gear meshing to work but they insist i need that new gear Question is where do i find one

Sorry that I can't help you.I ended up selling the tractor along with the tiller.I told the new owner about the gear box problem and his reply to me was that it was not going to be a problem because he worked for a company that has the equipment etc: to cut new gears etc: So I really don't know what has become of the tillers gear box.Larry

#7 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 744 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 12:47 PM

This box is made in my back yard.