• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 aftonrob OFFLINE  

aftonrob

• Member No: 7664
  • 0 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 05:32 PM

Hi,i picked up a dirty as heck Wisconsin tjd twin to put on a sears suburban i have.Ive fixed the exhaust valves as usual they were stuck.The motor turns all the way around put right at TDC you hear clang.I was attempting to see if it was something in the gears on the side before i start tearing really tearing into it.The flywheel has got me stuck.Ive tried the method in manual about hitting the nut and grabbing outward.Frankly there isnt crap to grab.Ive sprayed PB blaster on it for 2 days.Today i heated up the flywheel and then sprayed more PB.Nothing changed.This thing dont budge.I would like to meet the idiot who came up with this design.Im pretty sure i would have to dig him up because hes long dead by now.If anyone has any ideas im all ears.My solution would be to drill and tap 3 holes like tecumseh and put a harmonic puller on it.Is the key square on these Wisconsin motors or half moon?The key could be knocked back to remove the flywheel.Any help would be greatly appreciated.thanks

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 05:39 PM

Don't those engines have an external Magneto? Like a Wico or Fairbanks Morse? If it is like my old Wisconsins it should.

if it is like what I described then the clank is normal. and besides that there is nothing behind the flywheel .

good luck

#3 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 05:48 PM

I just saw a picture of a TJD, it is same as mine except mine is a single cylinder.

The noise you here is the impulse coupling on the magneto. that is what generates your spark for starting.(that is the easiest way to describe it)

If you are getting no spark, take the cap off the magneto ( 4 screws) the points are in there, and more than likely they need cleaning.

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 06:11 PM

All that may be under the flywheel, if equipped, is a stator for a charge system. That clang, as already stated is the mag clicking over. That is unless you have a distributor model?

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 07:48 PM

All that may be under the flywheel, if equipped, is a stator for a charge system. That clang, as already stated is the mag clicking over. That is unless you have a distributor model?

Maybe he didn't reload the page to see that we responded. He was on for a long time,but gone now.

#6 aftonrob OFFLINE  

aftonrob

• 0 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 07:56 PM

So that sound is normal?According to the manual,you have to remove the flywheel to get to the inspection cover for the governor gear,magneto gear,and something else.No distributor,i have the wico magneto and its got spark.Its got me twice already.So that sound is normal.It sounds rough and vibrates the push rods.This is my first Wisconsin motor,so bear with me.Thanks for the responses.I thought something was wrong with the camshaft.

#7 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 08:08 PM

have you ran this yet?

#8 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 08:11 PM

No problem. These motors are so different than your average small engine. I'm fairly new to them myself but have learned alot. I now have 2 of them. You are off to a great start being it has spark already! And yes LOL I have gotten bit by the Magneto many times already.
  • aftonrob said thank you

#9 aftonrob OFFLINE  

aftonrob

• 0 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 08:43 PM

Ive not ran it yet.It should be running tomorrow.Im going to see what shape the carb and fuel pump is in.The motor was parked with exhaust valves open.There was enough carbon,dead bugs,and trash on the pistons and in the intake and exhaust ports.Strangley enough the cylinder walls are like glass.Im going to have to get steel plate to mount it.This motor shouldnt have no problem pulling a 10 inch moldboard plow.It will look pretty Frankensteinish on the front of the Suburban 12 frame.I will post pictures when i mount it.The Wisconsin twins look pretty mean,especially with the top hat muffler.

#10 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 08:46 PM

My TJD pulls TWO 10" Brinly plows!

#11 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 08:59 PM

you probaly won't get it off without some kind of puller sorry but thats the way it is good luck, in Christ :thumbs:

Edited by goodnews, May 11, 2012 - 09:00 PM.

#12 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 09:18 PM

WOW!! That's awesome!

#13 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 09:20 PM

Ive not ran it yet.It should be running tomorrow.Im going to see what shape the carb and fuel pump is in.The motor was parked with exhaust valves open.There was enough carbon,dead bugs,and trash on the pistons and in the intake and exhaust ports.Strangley enough the cylinder walls are like glass.Im going to have to get steel plate to mount it.This motor shouldnt have no problem pulling a 10 inch moldboard plow.It will look pretty Frankensteinish on the front of the Suburban 12 frame.I will post pictures when i mount it.The Wisconsin twins look pretty mean,especially with the top hat muffler.

Well good luck! I really like these Wisconsin engines now. They sure are heavy though lol.

#14 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 09:29 PM

WOW!! That's awesome!

Here's a link to a short video clip of my JB with the TJD engine pulling twin 10" plows. I don't have it on file except on Photobucket.
http://s8.photobucke...nt=MOV00771.mp4
  • speedyg said thank you

#15 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 09:43 PM

Here's a link to a short video clip of my JB with the TJD engine pulling twin 10" plows. I don't have it on file except on Photobucket.
http://s8.photobucke...nt=MOV00771.mp4

OK here is another WOW for you! Dang you make it look so easy! I just watched the one of the Engine running also, That is a great engine!
  • olcowhand said thank you