Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

White Smoke/steam Coming From Crankcase Breather...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• Member No: 2666
  • 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 10:09 PM

Hey All

Since my rebuild on my Kohler K321 a few weeks ago, I've noticed that after i've been working for awhile there is a smoke/steam that is coming from the crankcase breather. It's a white-ish colour and puffs out fairly consistent. Engine seems to be running smooth, so i'm not entirely sure what the problem would be.

Thoughts?

#2 joemama OFFLINE  

joemama

• Member No: 8577
  • 13 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 10:42 PM

Honestly I'd change the oil and see if it still does it with fresh oil. I could just be condensation burning off.

#3 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 2,859 Thanks
  • 3,802 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 12:25 AM

You did a complete rebuild on this one? New rings and seals installed? breather assembled correctly?

Just trying to narrow the field a little.

does the motor have good power? notice any oil leaking form any where? is the motor running hot?

when the engine was apart, how were the valve guides, any play in them?

if the rings are not seated all the way or cylinder is out of round you could get blow by.
if the valve guides are worn bad that could cause it also.

if engine is running good, and you just did a complete rebuild, then it might just go away as it breaks in.and in that case just give it some time. Good luck!
  • frenchy said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 15,179 Thanks
  • 21,809 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 07:35 AM

Have you noticed any higher than expected gas usage? I had a Kohler V shaft that the carb would stck once in a while, putting gas down past the rings or valves and into the oil. Didn't catch on as fast as I should've and almost toasted the engine one time, but I do remember "steam" coming from the breather when I had it disconnected. It was actually gas vapors with oil.

Just something to check.
  • frenchy said thank you

#5 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 08:51 AM

You did a complete rebuild on this one? No, just connecting rod assembly New rings and seals installed? No. breather assembled correctly? Presumeably

Just trying to narrow the field a little.

does the motor have good power? More power than it ever has notice any oil leaking form any where? No leaks is the motor running hot? I have a hard time gauging the temperature (hot vs normal operating temp)

when the engine was apart, how were the valve guides, any play in them? No play. Quite rigid.

if the rings are not seated all the way or cylinder is out of round you could get blow by.
if the valve guides are worn bad that could cause it also.

if engine is running good, and you just did a complete rebuild, then it might just go away as it breaks in.and in that case just give it some time. Good luck!

Have you noticed any higher than expected gas usage? I don't think so, but just going through first tank since rebuild I had a Kohler V shaft that the carb would stck once in a while, putting gas down past the rings or valves and into the oil. Didn't catch on as fast as I should've and almost toasted the engine one time, but I do remember "steam" coming from the breather when I had it disconnected. It was actually gas vapors with oil.

Just something to check. I'm not sure I understand what to check... clean the carb?

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

The Impossible Task!!!!!!

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 5,808 Thanks
  • 6,647 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 09:31 AM

I think I would do a cylinder leakage test since the rings weren't replaced.
  • frenchy said thank you

#7 JDBrian ONLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 7,530 Thanks
  • 12,727 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 10:12 AM

You could have leaking rings but there are a couple of other things that come to mind. Make sure the breather is assembled correctly and that the filter is in good shape. Also, if the oil is over filled it can make more emissions coming out the tube. If your oil is thinner than 30w that may contribute as well. I'm just shooting in the dark here. My experience is limited.
  • frenchy said thank you

#8 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 2,859 Thanks
  • 3,802 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 10:47 AM

Have you noticed any higher than expected gas usage? I had a Kohler V shaft that the carb would stck once in a while, putting gas down past the rings or valves and into the oil. Didn't catch on as fast as I should've and almost toasted the engine one time, but I do remember "steam" coming from the breather when I had it disconnected. It was actually gas vapors with oil.

Just something to check.

That's something to look at too. I forgot but I have had that happen 2x's over the years. :thumbs:

#9 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 11:17 AM

I think I would do a cylinder leakage test since the rings weren't replaced.

How does one do that?

You could have leaking rings but there are a couple of other things that come to mind. Make sure the breather is assembled correctly and that the filter is in good shape. Also, if the oil is over filled it can make more emissions coming out the tube. If your oil is thinner than 30w that may contribute as well. I'm just shooting in the dark here. My experience is limited.

Thanks JDBrian, i'll give those items a once or twice over.

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

The Impossible Task!!!!!!

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 5,808 Thanks
  • 6,647 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 03:15 PM

You need a tester (you can get a cheap one from HF) and an air supply. Bring the engine to TDC and then install the adapter in the plug hole connect your air supply and then bring the regulator up to where the gauge reads zero and then just see if it bleeds down. The gauge show percentages.