Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Jd 185 Surges,surges, Surges...then Dies....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zolt OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1713
  • 9 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 09:47 PM

Hello again,
if you were following my 116 topic---you know that problem found and so I now am on to my 185, it has been sitting for several years, but I have already done some obvious preps., like, cleaned tank(and added seafoam) ---new spark plug, checked fuel pump and is indeed functioning, cleaned carb---took it off and soaked it in gas and lots of seafoam then blew out all visible openings, took off bowl and made sure gas was entering and was getting shut off properly.
Put it all back, ---and sure enough, starts right up with choke as soon as carb gets filled with gas. Runs like a race horse at high speed, but when i put throttle down to lower speed, it starts to surge....the lower the throttle setting, the more pronounced the surging, until at very low setting, it just dies.....
it is a 17 hp kawasaki motor,
i do have 2 theories---one---- i missed cleaning a low speed fuel jet, and 2----the air governor is sticking.
Anyone experienced something very similar, and found out what caused it?
Again, any help is, as always, greatly appreciated....

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,637 Thanks
  • 8,520 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 08:18 AM

a couple of things come to mind off the bat. As you suggested a passage in the carb is still clogged. When you cleaned the carb did you take it completely apart first before cleaning it? Including the welch plugs?

Does your carb have AFR screws? If so they may need to be adjusted.

Possible air leak around the carb, intake manifold. Take some carb cleaner and with engine cold spray around the carb and manifold and if the engine sound changes you probably have an air leak.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 10:19 AM

Sounds like a carb problem. If something is partially blocking the low speed jet then it will surge like that as the governor tries to keep the speed up. The fact that the governor works ok at high speed seems to indicate a carb problem to me.

#4 zolt OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1713
  • 9 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 12:46 AM

It has been 'soaking' for 2 days now, so perhaps tomorrow i will find out........