• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ducati250Single OFFLINE  

Ducati250Single
  • Member No: 9777
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 03:24 PM

I have a Toro LX 500 tractor, year unknown, and it dies as soon as I take my foot off the brake pedal, which needs to be slightly depressed to start the motor. It ran fine when I mowed a week ago. The grass was rather wet when I mowed... shame on me, and I checked to see if any grass had got in and disabled something, but everything looks fine. The safety starter switch is easy to see, but looks like a pretty big problem to change, let alone check with my multimeter, hard to get my fingers in there to probe around. Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track, or have I overlooked something? I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 04:04 PM

Welcome to GTTAlk. A test with an ohm meter would be ideal but there could also be something else wrong. That switch functions as a start interlock and seems to be working properly. There is likely an interlock for the seat switch that will prevent the tractor from running once the brake is released. I'd check for a seat switch interlock and see if it's functioning. Again an ohm meter test is very helpful. Have a look at your operators manual and see what it says about safety interlocks. I'm not familiar with that tractor at all.
  • Ducati250Single said thank you

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 04:19 PM

I think you need to look at that switch a little closer. More than likely there is and adjustment that needs to be moved a hair so the switch is working. I have had to adjust them before probably just a slot where the mounting bolt goes.
. My Murray is doing nothing when I hit the switch last night, I'm going home tonight and see if ther is a blown fuse, I've replaced the fuse once in the time I've owned it.
  • Ducati250Single said thank you

#4 Ducati250Single OFFLINE  

Ducati250Single
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 04:24 PM

Thanks Brian. There is a switch for the seat, I think maybe Toro calls it a microswitch...I don't have the manual that came with it, but found one I can read online, although it takes forever to scroll down through the pages, but, it is just an owners manual and doesn't cover much in the way of troubleshooting. I have looked at that seat switch today, but will look at it closer to be sure. I'll also get out the multimeter and see if I can get an ohm reading. Thank you very much.

#5 Ducati250Single OFFLINE  

Ducati250Single
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 04:38 PM

Thanks JD Dannels, it appears the switch is doing what it is supposed to do...you lightly depress the brake pedal and it pushes the plunger in on the switch, and when you let off the plunger fully returns all the way out and there is about a 1/2'' gap between the pedal and the switch plunger when the pedal is all the way out.

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 07:19 PM

:wave: Ducati250single! Welcome to GTTalk! It's great to have you here. What is the full model number of the tractor? That may help some of us to find a wiring diagram for you. I believe that the seat switch is your culprit like was mentioned. It is not likely the PTO switch as that would also prevent starting. On the up side, the seat switch should be the easiest to get at and check. I hope that you stick around and get to know the place a little after you figure out your problem. Thanks for signing up!

#7 Ducati250Single OFFLINE  

Ducati250Single
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 04:55 AM

Hello caseguy, The model # is 13AP60RP744, I found some manuals at https://homeownersol...utions_home/222, yesterday, and have been going through the demystification guides. Lots of wiring diagrams there. I don't have the original owners manual, (we inherited the tractor), but I found it at that Toro site as well. I need to get out the multimeter and get better aquainted with it! The seat switch seems to do what it's supposed to...I can push the seat down with my hand, and see the switch making contact, and then not making contact when I release the seat, but I will check it out further. Thank you for the reply!

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 06:07 AM

:welcome: to GTTalk.
The beauty of the safety switch system on all the newer GT's is that unless everything is just as it should be, you can't start it. Many fewer injuries this way.

The downfall with the safety switches is that unless everything is just as it should be, you can't start it and it can be very frustrating. I wish I knew how many seat/PTO/clutch switches I've seen bypassed.

I would look at the seat switch first also, then many of the systems have the switches "chained" together so the signal for one goes thru the next, etc. Even if a switch is activating, it may not be making contact and allowing the next switch to get a chance to do it's thing.
  • caseguy said thank you

#9 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 08:48 AM

You heard of triple bypass surgery on a GT right?
First you bypass the seat safety switch.
Second you bypass the clutch start safety switch.
Third, you bypass anything else (usually everything lol) until you get the thing to just work.
Good luck. :)

#10 Ducati250Single OFFLINE  

Ducati250Single
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 09:26 AM

Thanks MH81 and wvbuzzmaster, I went out early this morning and checked out the seat switch, it looked clean, but I disconnected it anyway...that WAS the problem! I cleaned it up and reinstalled it, and everything is back to normal. Thanks to your input, I will be mowing when the dew dries off this morning! I appreciate your help tremendously!!!
  • MH81 said thank you

#11 Ducati250Single OFFLINE  

Ducati250Single
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 09:28 AM

That was supposed to read, "thanks to everyones input".

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 10:08 AM

Glad to hear you got it sorted out and you are mowing again.

#13 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 11:37 AM

Glad to hear you got it working. I would have just gone with the triple bypass lol.

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 12:05 PM

Glad to hear you got it working. I would have just gone with the triple bypass lol.

Casey, I used to do that... until i had kids. Now I try to make it work right, IF I can.

#15 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 06:59 PM

Glad you got it working Ducati250single. Sometimes it's the simplest things. Welcome to GTTalk, we are glad to have you and from your user name I assume another Biker as well.