#16 michelle OFFLINE  

michelle

Tractorholic by Marriage

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1655
  • 331 Thanks
  • 303 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 08:49 PM

Wow, you guys are cruel. Seems like there are more humane options to deal with the cute little guy.
  • daytime dave and PaPasTractor have said thanks

#17 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 08:54 PM

Wow, you guys are cruel. Seems like there are more humane options to deal with the cute little guy.

I thought the same until one morning all my green beans where gone over night , Al :huh:

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 09:08 PM

Relocating problem animals only dumps the problem onto someone else. Cruel we may be, but sometimes the only true answer to such problems.

#19 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 09:28 PM

I don't know, but I think he'd make a good hood ornament, especailly on a ..........wait for it ........... are you ready? A Bush-Hog :bigrofl:

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 09:41 PM

Cruel?
When the farmer down the road has to put down his best mare because she broke a leg in a hole...
When you almost roll the tractor in what could be a fatal accident because you hit a den on a hillside & it collapses...
When they cause the loss of (or severe damage to the foundation of) a structure that will cost thousands to replace or repair...

Sorry, but I have no love for groundhogs.

#21 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 10:06 PM

Cruel?
When the farmer down the road has to put down his best mare because she broke a leg in a hole...
When you almost roll the tractor in what could be a fatal accident because you hit a den on a hillside & it collapses...
When they cause the loss of (or severe damage to the foundation of) a structure that will cost thousands to replace or repair...

Sorry, but I have no love for groundhogs.

I agree with all of your points, but my neighbor disagrees with your last one, he loves ground hogs....tells me they taste pretty good when prepared correctly :laughingteeth:

#22 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 10:08 PM

I agree with all of your points, but my neighbor disagrees with your last one, he loves ground hogs....tells me they taste pretty good when prepared correctly :laughingteeth:

That is true! My Uncle's wife cooked them up after my Uncle would go shoot them. I ate with them one day with ground hog as the main menu.............VERY good!

#23 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 10:09 PM

I don't know, but I think he'd make a good hood ornament, especailly on a ..........wait for it ........... are you ready? A Bush-Hog :bigrofl:

But these live in the ground...not in the bush! LOL

#24 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 10:16 PM

That is true! My Uncle's wife cooked them up after my Uncle would go shoot them. I ate with them one day with ground hog as the main menu.............VERY good!

Can we get her to come to your plow day and teach us? We shoot enough of the flipping critters around here to put a dent in the grocery-bill if I could cook'em :laughingteeth:

#25 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 10:22 PM

If you ever twisted an ankle in hole made by those creatures your religion would likely take a temporary day off . My favorite way was to run the lovable things into haybine rollers .

#26 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 01:49 AM

well quite a varity of options here. The building was a grainary once in its life, all wooden, on runners, so anything involving fire aint going to be pretty. Theres too many housesin the line of fire here. I dont live in town but right along the edge of it, and dont want an accidental rico to hit someones kid or pet,,,,,, well maybe pet. My ground is fairly sand based so flushing him with water not gong to happen either. He's a evil one, has tripped up many a conabear trap or just diggs a new hole right by them. Livetraps he's not interested in. I tried driving iron two ft in to the ground acrosst the ends by he just bores on down under it. Been sticking tomato cages into the holes lately and he dont like that, and i havent see sight of him all week and no new holes. When my Dad was alive, he was the king of shooting hogs that got under the farm buildings. He would get out his lawn chair and sit close by all afternoon, with a greener 12 ga shotgun, and wait them out. My great aunt would buy him a choclate shake for every one he got at her farm, and i believe he gained 20#'s that one summer. He was a master with a shotgun, used to shot in trap clubs and never used any of his rifles to hunt with. i dont have the time to sit and wait it out, so ill look at a while you where gone solution. The red lye is supposed to burn ther feet and make them move on down the road.

If you ever had ground hogs dig the dirt out from under your concrete building and have the floor crack and fall you would understand why them must go bye, bye one way or the other. It aint mean, or evil, it protecting your investment from a pest that will distroy your stuff pretty fast. My house, and garage are on concrete slabs and the last place i want him going is under one of them.

#27 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 08:42 AM

Can we get her to come to your plow day and teach us? We shoot enough of the flipping critters around here to put a dent in the grocery-bill if I could cook'em :laughingteeth:

That would be kinda hard, being she passed on 3 years ago. She quit cooking critters like that when my Uncle Gaines died about 25 years ago. She could cook anything and make your mouth water!

#28 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 09:31 AM

Michelle, my fiance/girlfriend would say the same thing. She stopped me from shooting one that had done a number on the garden. I respected her opinion then and I respect yours now. I never met up with that little guy the rest of the year. (Probably because there was nothing left in the garden)

Everything everyone above has mentioned as a bad result of groundhogs is true and a problem. They deal with it their ways.

My opinion is different than yours, but I respect you expressing yours.

#29 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,719 Thanks
  • 4,278 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 11:23 AM

Funny this got brought up. The dog had one up by the porch this AM. They must not taste good fresh because the dogs leave them set a week before they eat them. I put him (the hog, not the dog) in the burn barrell so he's ready to bar-b-Q. One thing I've heard and never tried is to make a mixture of plaster of paris and white sugar. Of course this only works somewhere it will stay dry. You also wouldn't want it to be where other pets can get it. I hear it gives a bad case of constipation!

#30 PaPasTractor OFFLINE  

PaPasTractor
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9237
  • 197 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 11:29 AM

Michelle, I too respect your view on this.
However, these "cute" guys will wreak havoc to farmland and small gardens in no time.
I live in a Dairy, Corn and Bean farm area and the Farmers here despise them.

While I am fortunate not to have any at this time, I would not hesitate to take one down.
I tried all kinds of methods, but the 12ga No.4 shot is the fastest and most humane way.
One more note, I am not a "gun happy" person but when the need arises I will use it.