• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,454 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 01:12 PM

got a little hog problem this yr. Seems to like my tractor shed, well at least the under side of it. Tricky devil to catch, as he avoids traps, and im to close to other houses to shoot him in the yard. A guy told me to put red lye on the ground around the holes and it would keep him away, but i havent found any so far. simp D done 002.JPG simp D done 003.JPG

#2 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 01:24 PM

How close are the houses? A good .22 pellet rifle with a scope should take care of him. I've never heard of the red lye method. Hope you get him soon.

#3 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 02:45 PM

I heard Juicy fruit gum works but I have never tried it. Just leave the whole packet in wrapper and all. Mess' up the their intestine where everything backs up.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 03:03 PM

Remember Bill Murray in Caddy Shack! Dynamite was involved!

#5 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 03:20 PM

I have just one word for you RODENATOR

• HDWildBill and PaPasTractor have said thanks

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 03:28 PM

Where it's safe to do, I build a small fire in one hole, then fill with green grass/weeds, let it smolder a few seconds till it gets good & smoky, then plug the hole. Get ready on the other end with a 22, cause he'll be coming out! Or, you could fashion a wire trap over the hole for him to run into. Or, get some of those subsonic 22 bullets. Not very powerful, but no more noise than a small air rifle, and if you hit him in the head, it should get him, or at least knock him silly till you can club the sucker!

#7 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 04:22 PM

My father-in-law uses a three foot piece of fishing line, with 3 big fishing hooks tied to the line about 8" apart. At the end of the line that doesn't have fishing hooks, he ties a piece of stick to it, that's longer than the hole is wide. Fish the line down in the most used hole, only about 18"-20" deep. When the groundhog goes down the hole, the fishing hooks snare his coat, and the stick keeps him from entering deep into the hole. Use the stick to drag him out, and then hit him with a baseball bat. Just don't let PETA see you doing it though!

#8 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,412 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 05:01 PM

Garden hose, and bat, turn on the hose, fill his hole , when he comes up whack him good, or use a pistol, or air rifle, crossman powetmaster 680 will do just fine, be shure to use a pellet and pump it at leadt 20 times ;)

#9 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 05:06 PM

The conabear traps work really well.We got 95 ground hogs,2 skunks and a racoon last year.Place one trap over each hole.It doesn't matter if he's in the hole or outside he'll go through the trap and the rest is history.

#10 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 632 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 05:22 PM

Groundhogs usually have 2 entrances to their burrows.....When you know they are in there, cover one with dirt, shove a hose down the other with one end hooked to the exhaust of your GT (this is a GT site, right?)...let her run for a 1/2 hr or so, pumping the exhaust into the burrow.....Hoggy, just goes to sleep....for a loooonnnnnng time

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,296 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 05:29 PM

There is another way like the exhaust route. I can't remember the formula, maybe someone here can...
Flop a piece of sheet steel over second hole, have one to flop over main hole, then I THINK it was equal parts ammonia and iodine. About a 1/2 qt each if I recall. Toxic fumes, don't breathe them.

Someone correct my chemistry if i'm wrong... PLEASE.

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 05:35 PM

There is another way like the exhaust route. I can't remember the formula, maybe someone here can...
Flop a piece of sheet steel over second hole, have one to flop over main hole, then I THINK it was equal parts ammonia and iodine. About a 1/2 qt each if I recall. Toxic fumes, don't breathe them.

Someone correct my chemistry if i'm wrong... PLEASE.

I've done similar when we had rats under concrete slabs. 1 part chorine bleach to one part phosphoric acid. Pour both in & cover immediately & GO.

#13 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 05:37 PM

I think Paul Simon wrote a song about this thread..."50 ways to kill a gopher"...or something like that. I prefer to just shoot them. If you're going to do it, do it BEFORE they breed! If there are already more than one living there, kill one, shove it back down the hole and seal up both (or all) of the entrances. The others will leave and not return.

#14 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 08:24 PM

Poncho's way with the exhaust is the way I do it too .I tried traps and .22 but it seems like ones gone then another comes back a few weeks later in the same burro but thinking a stinky dead ground hog in the hole makes for a " not good a home " for the next fellow , Al

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,296 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 08:43 PM

Yep, I was wrong... it's Bleach and Ammonia. Basically, it's the poor man's version of mustard gas. DO NOT BREATHE this stuff. It's dangerous. But it will do in a woodchuck.