• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• Member No: 2666
  • 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 08:51 PM

I like it. The only thing that I would do differently based on the pics of your machine and how the BB is mounted is to make it a bit further away from the tractor. I made my cultivator a tad bit (4" or so) too close and it's hard to get mounted sometimes just for lack of space.

In terms of a timeline for me to get this thing built and pics uploaded, I have a project that my dad asked me to build for him (dock support) so i'll do that first and see if he'll supply some of my BB material as a thank you :p

Thanks all for the guidance, you know that i'll be posted pics during and after the build!

#17 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• Member No: 2666
  • 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 08:59 PM

Scarifiers should be able to come out or adjust I think. Wonder if putting bars if Front of a heavy tube, held on by angle iron pieces with a pin would work? Or would it just want to twist the bar? I have a plan somewhere from a Power King posting long ago, looked like a nice one. Not sure I know where it is now or how to post it here. A removeable blade edge on inside of back plate would be nice to have it wear and replace, rather than just wear out box edge. Could be just a heavy bar stock there. Three point hitch mount for sure. Not sure I have seen tilting box blades?? Maybe some commercial huge tractor one, but most are just blades I think. What is this "Sketchup" program? Still around and easy to use? I once bought a cadplan program and found way to hard for me to use and usually crapped out a plan part way thru it. No way to go back and fix. A simple program would be a great idea. Where can I get one or see a sample or add??

Hey Glgrumpy

Sketchup is a Google program. You can download it for free and use it for free from Google for unlimited use. If you buy it ($595) you get Layout, which allows you to do the measuring like i've done in my image.

HTH

#18 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 05:13 AM

I could add measurements to the drawing with the Free program. But it clutters the drawing.
I agree on extending it back a ways, kind of hard to see what it is doing being so close. I may move the sleeve hitch forward some when I widen it. I also plan to add a 3-point hook up for the GTV at that time. I also want to add a cutting edge on the back side, sometimes you need to push material in tight areas.

#19 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 05:28 AM

Here's a couple more views from different angles. I love how you can rotate the view.
Box Blade3.jpeg Box Blade4.jpeg

The blue background is the 'sky' since you are looking up from under it.

#20 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 05:52 AM

Kenny, are the end panels removable and it there any l-r angle adjust to it? The way I put the teeth on mine, eliminated the angle, I've missed it a couple of times.

#21 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 06:56 AM

Kenny, are the end panels removable and it there any l-r angle adjust to it? The way I put the teeth on mine, eliminated the angle, I've missed it a couple of times.

Alan, they are welded on, not removable. No angle adjustment. Just a normal Box Blade like on a larger tractor.
Here I have widened it this morning. Easily done with Sketchup. I also added a couple dimensions.
Box Blade5.jpeg
I still need to move the sleeve hitch and add the 3-point hook ups.

#22 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 10:15 PM

This box blade was written up in FarmShow magazine and I liked the design. It gives you a different control of it. I'm thinking of adding some tabs to my 3pt box blade to be able to add the wheels and cylinder and then a square tube receiver in front so that a tongue can be slid in and removed. It would give added versatility to a piece of equipment that can only be used with some tractors and not hurt the functionality as the 3pt.
http://www.turnoverb...s/atv/gradeboss
  • tinner said thank you

#23 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted May 21, 2012 - 09:11 AM

I finally got around to the drawing this morning. I moved the sleeve hitch 1/4" down and 2" forward. I have added the 3-point hookup to it also ( Haven't added the rear braces as yet). Here you go:
BB461.jpeg BB462.jpeg
  • MH81 said thank you

#24 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 08:04 AM

I had forgotten a couple of pics I took at a tractor show of a neat looking box blade. I'll post them again here for folks to look over.
Image001.jpg
Image002.jpg
  • JDBrian said thank you

#25 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 10:37 AM

What a great idea. Thanks for the picture. Something like that could be added to most blades. The wheels would set the height and also help keep the blade from tilting side to side. You could make a manual adjuster for height and it wouldn't be a big job to fabricate. I've seen gauge wheels on York rakes before and they were large caster wheels so they pivot.
  • KennyP said thank you

#26 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 11:13 AM

you could even make an adjustment on one wheel that would allow you to set tip if you wanted. Kinda like the adjustment on a 3 point system.
  • KennyP said thank you

#27 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted June 05, 2012 - 02:12 PM

That is a pretty cool on the set up. Just would be hard to get close to corners with!