• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• Member No: 2666
  • 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 12:37 PM

Props to Kenny for getting me to post this as a new post...

I've started to put together a design in SketchUp for a box blade. Kenny has some dimensional changes that I will apply, but for now this is what I've put together. With everyone's help, we can design a kick butt scraper!

Throw in your 2 cents and I can make mock ups in SketchUp!

Box Scraper_1.jpg
  • chris m said thank you

#2 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 12:39 PM

Note to add: I'm designing this for my Dynamark/MF14.

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 02:49 PM

One thing I noticed is how are you going to connect it to the tractor? My box blade uses a sleeve hitch.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 03:00 PM

How are you going to do the scarifiers? It's nice to be able to remove them when you don't want to dig and also adjustable height is a nice feature.

#5 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 03:13 PM

One thing I noticed is how are you going to connect it to the tractor? My box blade uses a sleeve hitch.

This hitch style was going to go into a sleeve type adapter to my 3pt. I may change that depending on how I want to do this... This is a fundamental copy of Kenny's box scraper. I expect some changes based on my needs.

How are you going to do the scarifiers? It's nice to be able to remove them when you don't want to dig and also adjustable height is a nice feature.

Good Q JDBrian... I'm new to box scraping... I could easily add some little sleeves that the scarifiers slide into and adjust with either a tapped hole/bolt or even a pin style adjustment... Thoughts?

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 03:21 PM

I don't see a provision for swivel or tilt. Would'nt that be a desireable feature?

Guess I'm thinking from the standpoint of my needing to channel water off my gravel road into the ditch to stop eroding the road way. Needing to cut the edge at a gentle slope into the ditch. I would think tilting the blade would be needed to make the cut.
  • frenchy said thank you

#7 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 03:27 PM

I don't see a provision for swivel or tilt. Would'nt that be a desireable feature?

Guess I'm thinking from the standpoint of my needing to channel water off my gravel road into the ditch to stop eroding the road way. Needing to cut the edge at a gentle slope into the ditch. I would think tilting the blade would be needed to make the cut.

Good call actually... I'm going to use it to "carve" a swail into a part of my yard... a tilt would be awesome for that... now to figure that out in SketchUp! Thanks JD Dannels!

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 04:10 PM

I got to thinking you may have enough angle built into your 3 point hitch? Not someething those who have a sleeve hitch would have.
  • frenchy said thank you

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 04:14 PM

Frenchy, if you have a 3pt. I would say build it for that hitch. then you can use the top link to adjust the angle. You can adjust a side to side tilt into the blade by offsetting the height of the lift links. A 3pt is just a better hitch IMO.
In many blades they run the scarifiers through slots in the square tubing that runs from side to side near the front. Then they have tabs on the top and a pin is used to secure the point which can be adjusted using different holes in it's shaft. Those slots are hard to cut by hand unless you have a plasma cutter or can mill them.
  • frenchy said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 04:34 PM

Hey guys! I plan to add a drawing of how my BB is set up. Then, we can decide what is best for the ultimate BB.

#11 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 05:39 PM

Scarifiers should be able to come out or adjust I think. Wonder if putting bars if Front of a heavy tube, held on by angle iron pieces with a pin would work? Or would it just want to twist the bar? I have a plan somewhere from a Power King posting long ago, looked like a nice one. Not sure I know where it is now or how to post it here. A removeable blade edge on inside of back plate would be nice to have it wear and replace, rather than just wear out box edge. Could be just a heavy bar stock there. Three point hitch mount for sure. Not sure I have seen tilting box blades?? Maybe some commercial huge tractor one, but most are just blades I think. What is this "Sketchup" program? Still around and easy to use? I once bought a cadplan program and found way to hard for me to use and usually crapped out a plan part way thru it. No way to go back and fix. A simple program would be a great idea. Where can I get one or see a sample or add??
  • frenchy said thank you

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 06:08 PM

Most everything will be answered with the addition of my drawing taken from my BB. Thread can be found here:
http://gardentractor...-new-box-blade/

#13 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,913 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 06:53 PM

Frenchy, if you have a 3pt. I would say build it for that hitch. then you can use the top link to adjust the angle. You can adjust a side to side tilt into the blade by offsetting the height of the lift links.

I agree with you on using the adjustments in the linkage. You should be able to get 4-6" offset across the 50" width. What about angling the blade?
  • frenchy said thank you

#14 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 07:40 PM

I found the plan I got once and it is Box Blade by A&M Cad Design. Not sure if on web or epay or ?? It's a great little blade, but see it is copywrited so guess I can't really post?? 5 pages long. It's a 5' wide box, good size. Gonna do a search to see if on-line.

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 08:26 PM

I finally got mine drawn out. I'll post the pics and try to give dimensions that folks can understand.
Box Blade1.jpeg Box Blade2.jpeg

Dark Gray: 2-10"X10" sides and one 10"x 39.75"+/- back. The back piece has about a 5 degree bend toward the front in the middle. Material is .125" thick welded at an angle from even at top to forward about 2.5" at bottom.
Yellow: 2-1"X1.5" square tube braces 9.875+/- long
Blue: 10- 3"X1.625"X.125" tooth holders with 5-0.75X0.75 squares welded to top
Pink: 2- 2"X2"X.250" angles welded to make a square tube, 39.75+/- long
Green: Sleeve hitch connector
Red: 1- 4"x39.75"+/-X.250 cutting edge.

This is only 40" wide, I plan to widen it to 46" and add one more tooth for a total of 6. I did not draw in the center tooth, it is dead center just behind the sleeve hitch right now. Teeth are made from .375"X1.5" bar stock.
Image002.jpg
  • frenchy said thank you