• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 08:59 AM

is there a way to sleave my throtle plate shaft ?? my bolens 1477 with a warbro carb has lots of play in it.. In fact all the linkages seem to be very sloppy.. from the throtle shaft down to the rod that goes to the governer and the governer disk.. Is the spring near the govener supposed to be tight ? or loose to adjust as needed for increased RPM... The whole system just seems to rattle all over especialy at idle.. It runs fine but I see it getting worse if nothing is done in the future any help would be app. sodi

#2 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 09:21 AM

Same for me, id love to know more about this sytem.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 03:09 PM

Sodi those linkages get worn with age. If you can download the service manual for your engine it will probably give you instructions for adjusting the governor but you need to inspect all the parts and replace or repair what is worn. The engine will run much smoother and respond better to changes in load when the governor is in good shape and adjusted correctly.
  • hatedge said thank you

#4 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 10:36 AM

i make new ones out of coat hanger they are alot thicker and i thinking about geting some of the plastic coating for tools and dip my linkage in it i think would also take some slop out.
what do you'll think ?
in Christ

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 11:01 AM

Never thought of using coat hanger for those rods. That should work. Sometimes the levers with the hole for the rod wear right through and the governor is disconnected. You could probably make new levers out of sheet metal of the correct thickness. I don't know about the rubber coating. I think it would wear very quickly and could cause the linkage to bind at the hole. It relies on the low friction of metal on metal to give unrestricted movement. If the holes are stretched and worn you could try filling them with JBweld and re drilling. That would tighten it up but I'm not sure how long it would last.

#6 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 06:25 PM

J D after i agree with what you said about rubber coating it would probaly have to much drag ,thanks in Christ :thumbs:

#7 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 09:46 AM

I'm more interested in a sleeve that the throttle shaft  goes thru the carb body itself..

Thanks...      sodi

#8 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,116 Thanks
  • 1,203 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 06:30 PM

I'm more interested in a sleeve that the throttle shaft  goes thru the carb body itself..

Thanks...      sodi

Is the carb body or the shaft worn?  If the shaft is worn you could build it up with bronze rod and oxy / acc torch and turn down in lathe - wet the bronze with cold water every couple of minutes to keep cool (prevent warping)  and remove the flux as you weld and build up the shaft - take light cuts with the lathe so you don't bend the shaft where the throttle plate goes - (you would have to remove the end piece where the linkage hooks on and reweld or solder back onto the shaft when you are done).  If the carb body is worn you could clean the holes out good and use a two part epoxy (like JB Weld) to build up the holes or drill, bronze bushing and ream the bushings to fit the throttle shaft - delicate work but it can be done if you take your time. If you use the two part epoxy you could get a wooden dowel to go through both holes the correct size and fill the voids with the epoxy - after it cures drill the dowel out with a slightly smaller drill bit and finish with a drill bit or reamer the correct size by hand - the dowel will keep both holes true to each other.  The throttle shaft should turn freely in the holes or else it may bind as the engine warms up.

• blackjackjakexxix and sodisr have said thanks