• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 09:14 PM

This happened to me yrs ago, back when I had my 85 Nissan King Cab and my Massey MF7hydro.
One day in early June I was loading the MF7 on to the truck, driving it up a set of wooden ramps, started going up no problem, got the front wheels in the box, then the mower deck starts to drag, gave it a little more power, the ramps moved back off the truck onto the ground, the rear end of the tractor fell down to the ground with the front end up in the air, I thought it was going to come right over and land on top of me but instead it fell over to the left side. When it hit the ground my foot was between the mower deck and the ground.
Broken left foot and my grass cutting jobs ended, can't cut grass it you can't walk properly. Lost all the contracts I had at the time.
Always lock the ramps to the truck, it's not worth it to get hurt for not being careful enough.

Doug, at this point, you have the top ranking for personal injury pain!
  • maxedout said thank you

#32 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 09:22 PM

Doug, at this point, you have the top ranking for personal injury pain!

That's not really an honorable tittle, but it is what it is.

#33 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 10:06 PM

That's not really an honorable tittle, but it is what it is.

What it is......... something I wish you hadn't gone through! I hope you know I didn't mean anything bad by my reply. I hear a broken foot takes forever to heal. So many tiny bones.

#34 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 10:26 PM

...can't cut grass it you can't walk properly...

Says who?! My neighbor mows his lawn... and he has one foot! LOL. Before he got his prosthetic he would still mow. He had a hard time holding on going around turns though. Hes a cool guy, and he laughs about it a lot, and he loves it when other people get a laugh out of it.

#35 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 11:45 PM

Dave, not to cause others to stop replying with their storied, but I highly doubt any of us can top the series of circumstances that you have laid out! Wow...talk about a nightmare to watch all that unfold!

Well...I'm not trying for the "trump card", and after I had things picked back up (hind sight, I should have grabbed a pic with my cell phone) I actully laughed. Normally, had it been just ONE, I would have thrown out words that would have made a drunken sailor blush, but at that point, it was either laugh or cry. It was ALL my fault... :sensored:

#36 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • Member No: 9548
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 12:46 AM

A whiles back, loaded up the tractor, hooked up the trailer, back sprayer, chainsaw and the wife. Out the drive to trim up some black pine, I have some serious problems with hands and arms, numbness and so on. At any rate, sawing going well, the longer I sawed, the heavier it got. (about 5 minutes into the project) So I started to drop the saw some and let it fall down towards the ground before I stopped it. Well, this worked well until it caught the leg of my jeans, made a nice little jagged cut, I never noticed continued to work on. Stopped and shut down the saw, got on the tractor and told my wife to get aboard we was moving out.

She calmly looks at me and says yes we should go get into the car and head for the hospital. I'm like why? She's has a funny look on her face and says I think we need stitches I said did you get hurt and she just says yes.

Not until we got there did I realize it was me who needed the clean up!

It wasn't serious, it turned out to just look worse than it actually was.

Heck had I known, I would have just cleaned it up, super glued it and went back to work.

I can honestly say, that is one time I am glad I have numbness problems and medications that help prevent pain. Otherwise I am sure I would have passed out colder than a watermelon!

Edited by maxedout, May 10, 2012 - 12:49 AM.

#37 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 08:59 PM

What it is......... something I wish you hadn't gone through! I hope you know I didn't mean anything bad by my reply. I hear a broken foot takes forever to heal. So many tiny bones.

No offense taken what happen to me is just one of those wake up calls, lessons in life that we all experience one way or another as time goes on. Sometimes nothing happens to ya and other times could be much worse.
This time for me I had a cast on for 2 weeks and it was 6 weeks before I could walk normal, 6 months before I felt it was as good as before I broke it.

Says who?! My neighbor mows his lawn... and he has one foot! LOL. Before he got his prosthetic he would still mow. He had a hard time holding on going around turns though. Hes a cool guy, and he laughs about it a lot, and he loves it when other people get a laugh out of it.

At the time most of the grass cutting jobs I had were with using a push mower so for me it was a problem. But I got through it and carried on.

#38 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 17, 2012 - 08:49 PM

Well, I found the edge of the envelope the other day. I was sickle mowing with the MF14, and
got into a rut with the front wheels. Being on a bit of a right handed slope, having the undercarriage
of the sickle grounded out,and having the weight of the sickle mower hanging out to the right, I was stuck.
The back left wheel, was not grabbing. I had no choice, but to get the big gun out to help out.

P1010357.JPG
P1010358.JPG
P1010360.JPG

#39 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,745 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 06:59 AM

Need a bit of counter weight on the right side, Will! Maybe a couple wheel weights on the right wheel when you have the sickle mower on?

#40 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 12:08 PM

Need a bit of counter weight on the right side, Will! Maybe a couple wheel weights on the right wheel when you have the sickle mower on?

That's what I was thinking. When the town tractors have those brush hogs on the boom they normally have at some big huge weights stacked up on the left rear wheel so they can cut along the side of the roads without being unbalanced.

#41 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 12:48 PM

Will, looking past the tractors, that is a very peaceful setting around your ponds.
  • IamSherwood said thank you

#42 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 01:04 PM

Will, looking past the tractors, that is a very peaceful setting around your ponds.

I thought the EXACT same thing. Hard to even be upset, with that back drop. :thumbs:

#43 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 06:33 PM

I thought the EXACT same thing. Hard to even be upset, with that back drop. :thumbs:

Absolutely, I never get upset, when I'm back there at the ponds. That incident just gave me a reason
to fire up Kubota, and take it to the rescue. No big deal.

Kenny, and Ryan, yep, some weight back there probably would have made the difference. Until I push
the envelope a bit further, next time. LOL

I've got a few weights I'm going to hang on there.

#44 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 05:15 PM

More stability means you're going to push it a little further. Just be careful.