• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 03:21 PM

Oh yeah, almost forgot what happened last year. My diesel Bush Hog JB had no neutral safety switch at the time when I went to crank it. I was not on the tractor & "thought" the foot pedal was in neutral, but unfortunately it was NOT! So "dumb is as dumb does" (me) turns the key. Being a healthy Kubota D1005, she fired instantly, going forward while climbing up the calf of my right leg. On the fortunate side, the JB was parked only a foot or 2 from my well house, so it rested against it and it prevented it from crawling all the way to my head. But this meant it was spinning on my calf (still better than over my head, lol) and remember, these big 26x12x12 ags are fluid filled, and had 100lbs of cast weights on each rim. Luckily I had leather boots on, as my foot was under the tire. This all happened within seconds, but seconds seemed longer, until I reached across the dash tower & killed the engine. Had some good racing stripes up my leg, and likely made some in my britches too. But with CRS I can't remember everything! Yes you younger guys....we older farts do silly stuff at times too. Never too old to learn.
That tractor now has a working neutral safety switch.

#17 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 04:21 PM

For hitch pins, I really like "Tension lock" pins. They are easy to use, with nothing to lose like with the hairpin locking ones.

I remembered them from when I was a kid, but they are really hard to find now.

I did manage to get some that are 1/2" x6" two years ago, but I've been looking for some 1/2" x 3 1/2" and 5/8" x 5 1/2" ones but have had no luck. Here's what they look like:
http://www.millerpro...log_page 11.pdf

Miller only sells to businesses, so getting them direct is out. If anyone knows where to get some of the above sizes please feel free to let me know.

#18 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 04:43 PM

I had a Springfield climb my leg just as you described Dan, only one difference, open field lol. I still had my hand on the key so it didnt get too far up my leg lol.

#19 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 04:44 PM

On "pushing the edge ..."

Just this Monday I went to just south of Pittsburgh to purchase a Bolens G11 which is an exceptionally rare tractor.

I rent trailers from Sunbelt Rental, and always use the 12' landscape trailer with the solid sides and mesh ramp/gate on the rear for loading. Well this time they didn't have one available, and the only thing that would work was one of their dump trailers. It has the drop down ramp and solid sides, and while not 12' long, it was long enough to carry a Bolens tube frame.

However, it sits a LOT higher than the landscape trailers, and the ramp isn't all that long. That makes for a pretty steep ramp to climb.

Anyway, I arrived at the sellers place, $$$ changed hands, and it was time to put it on the trailer. Seller, who isn't exactly a light weight, was on the tractor and started driving UP the ramp. I said it would be a MUCH better idea the back up the ramp. At that point the seller said "It won't go into reverse".

Tractor was, fortunately, in low range and he was using 1st gear so it wasn't going that fast. He got started up, and just about the time the front wheels got the the top of that ramp, up they came, and the tractor started going over back wards.

At that point I was thinking, "OMG, the rarest of all of the Bolens tube frames, and he's going to totally trash it!", followed by damn he's gonna get hurt".

Fortunately, he did manage to get the clutch pushed in before it went over, and 'saved' tractor. We ended up driving it up with no one in the seat, and finally got it loaded and tied down.

Moral of the story, always BACK UP a ramp.

#20 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 05:07 PM

My little oops happened a year ago. While putting the JD 116 5-speed back into the garage, running late for work and in a hurry, my foot slipped of the clutch pedal. Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal. That day, it just so happened that I had three bikes in the front of the garage, my Mustang, a new pressure washer, and various other things, rather in the way. It happened so fast and yet in slow motion. In the middle of the mess and the catalyst for it all, was my beloved 10,000 mile GS 650L, on the center stand. As the front of the JD's hood hit the tail light of the 650, the bike lunges off the center stand and veers right. To its' right, was my GS 850L, also on the center stand. I KNEW what was about to happen. YEP... the 650 takes out the 850 and the 850 proceeds to come of the stand and slams into the side of the Mustang, sliding and gouging it's way to the floor, but, BUT BUT BUT...as it is slapping the side of the Mustand, it somehow rotates and bumps back into the 650 as it is laying on the floor. This causes it (the 650) to nudge my new pressure washer and the pressure washer in turn, bumps the Honda 500GL that has the rear wheel off for a new tire and is "resting" on a floor jack.
OH... it's not over ! The 500 falls off the floor jack and lands smack dab on top of the pressure washer.

This all happened in less than 5 seconds and all I could do.... was watch.

I just froze...

:mad2: :wtf:

Edited by dave8338, May 09, 2012 - 05:09 PM.

#21 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 05:14 PM

I had my two wheel Gravely with the 30 inch bush hog and was mowing a bank at my Dad's house many years ago. The slope was steep enough that I couldn't drive across it as the tractor would pitch up onto one wheel and the up-hill side wheel would just spin. I didn't want to stand at the bottom of the hill and run the tractor up, so I stood above the tractor and ran it down, then I would back it up the hill, seemed safe enough to me. Until I slipped and fell down. One leg shot down under the engine pulley and between the wheels of the tractor. I literally felt my foot hit the rear guard of the brush hog. I reached up over my head, cut the throttle, dis-engaged the PTO, and slowly climbed out from under the tractor. I called it quits for the day and never tried that again. These days I have weighted wheels and dual wheel adapters for that sort of problem.

#22 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,663 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 05:53 PM

Unloading a Massey that was turned sideways on my dovetail on big trailer. No brakes on this tractor and clutch was only fair. No ramps with me to drive off side of trailer. Keep in mind, it sits at an angle on theat tail. So with ramps down on back, figure I can control it long enough to just pull ahead while turning and go back and forth till able to drive down back on ramps. Well.....didn't work so good! Mower back wheel got off the side when half turned and started heading to ground and tilting whole rig. Figured it may be coming back right over me. But..... the deck was sliding down metal edge and ramp and blades caught enough to stop me. SO, I got off carefully, went and got jacks and big boards (which I should have done at first) and finally got it 3/4 way off pretty good and the last 1/4 way came down with a big slide/smash from front end. Still ran it into garage, but the deck didn't wanna spin those bent blades anymore!

#23 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 05:54 PM

My little oops happened a year ago. While putting the JD 116 5-speed back into the garage, running late for work and in a hurry, my foot slipped of the clutch pedal. Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal. That day, it just so happened that I had three bikes in the front of the garage, my Mustang, a new pressure washer, and various other things, rather in the way. It happened so fast and yet in slow motion. In the middle of the mess and the catalyst for it all, was my beloved 10,000 mile GS 650L, on the center stand. As the front of the JD's hood hit the tail light of the 650, the bike lunges off the center stand and veers right. To its' right, was my GS 850L, also on the center stand. I KNEW what was about to happen. YEP... the 650 takes out the 850 and the 850 proceeds to come of the stand and slams into the side of the Mustang, sliding and gouging it's way to the floor, but, BUT BUT BUT...as it is slapping the side of the Mustand, it somehow rotates and bumps back into the 650 as it is laying on the floor. This causes it (the 650) to nudge my new pressure washer and the pressure washer in turn, bumps the Honda 500GL that has the rear wheel off for a new tire and is "resting" on a floor jack.
OH... it's not over ! The 500 falls off the floor jack and lands smack dab on top of the pressure washer.

I just froze...

DANG!!! I don't even know what to say on that one. This left me speechless! I froze just reading it :huh:

#24 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,663 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 05:58 PM

How about old PK with early loader. This was the one in my avatar at time. Those tractors don't steer well with loaders. Gravel drive washed out and had a groove along it's side that water cut. Was trying to get some gravel back into it w/out falling into it. BUT, the skinny front tires just slid off the edge and dove into groove. That wheel just cranked right about 90* real fast, spun wheel out of my hand, and we Stopped right now! Bent the tie rod and not much else. Couldn't back out, go forward, turn wheel or nothing. Had to go get my big tractor and chain to pull it out of ditch sideways. I did drive it up to garage, but the wheels had one heck of a wide tow out and plowed gravel all the way to garage! New beefed up tire rod is all that I had to fix, good thing.

#25 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 06:04 PM

...I literally felt my foot hit the rear guard of the brush hog...

THAT could've been very ugly! Fortunately you still have all of your appendages!

#26 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 06:06 PM

Well I don't feel so alone in the OOPS department anymore.I'm just glad we have all lived through our little mishaps!

#27 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 06:17 PM

I just froze...

How long did it take for you to start breathing again? I would have been trash the rest of the day and probably into the next day.

#28 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 06:58 PM

How long did it take for you to start breathing again? I would have been trash the rest of the day and probably into the next day.

I likely quit breathing for a few seconds. There was NOTHING I could do. No way for me to jump off the JD and into the mess and try to stop 500lb bikes from going down like a house of cards. My wife had the nerve to ask me if I had a video camera running so that she could have sent in the vid to Americas Funniest Home Videos. :spanka:
There was not ONE machine in that mess that didn't recieve dents, cracked fiberglass, gouged paint, ect.

#29 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 09:10 PM

This happened to me yrs ago, back when I had my 85 Nissan King Cab and my Massey MF7hydro.
One day in early June I was loading the MF7 on to the truck, driving it up a set of wooden ramps, started going up no problem, got the front wheels in the box, then the mower deck starts to drag, gave it a little more power, the ramps moved back off the truck onto the ground, the rear end of the tractor fell down to the ground with the front end up in the air, I thought it was going to come right over and land on top of me but instead it fell over to the left side. When it hit the ground my foot was between the mower deck and the ground.
Broken left foot and my grass cutting jobs ended, can't cut grass it you can't walk properly. Lost all the contracts I had at the time.
Always lock the ramps to the truck, it's not worth it to get hurt for not being careful enough.

#30 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 09:14 PM

I likely quit breathing for a few seconds. There was NOTHING I could do. No way for me to jump off the JD and into the mess and try to stop 500lb bikes from going down like a house of cards. My wife had the nerve to ask me if I had a video camera running so that she could have sent in the vid to Americas Funniest Home Videos. :spanka:
There was not ONE machine in that mess that didn't recieve dents, cracked fiberglass, gouged paint, ect.

Dave, not to cause others to stop replying with their storied, but I highly doubt any of us can top the series of circumstances that you have laid out! Wow...talk about a nightmare to watch all that unfold!