IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 09:06 PM

I'am sure we all do it, as we're out there doing our stuff on our GT's.
Whether we ride too close to the edge of the ditch, or we head out into the real
deep snow. Or you look at that tree laying there, smirk, and hook up to it. Next thing
you know, you're doing a wheelie, and hanging on for dear life. I bet some of you have looked
at the garden, and thought, it was time to till it. After an hour of stumbling around in the mud, you
got the wife to drive the truck with a tow chain, right?

When we're on our machines for a while, we get numb to reality, and sooner or
later, find ourselves in trouble.

Lets hear your stories of situations you got yourself into.
And if you got pictures, that be even better.

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 10:12 PM

It's funny you started this today. Because...... well umm I guess I'll share my little accident form yesterday.

It was our first day in over a week that the sun came out. So Even though I was hurting real bad, I decided to do some mowing.

That was all I was going to do. But noooo, I noticed a section that was full of Bull briers and bitter sweet vines so I decided to clear it out.
All was going well and Then I decided to hook up the little trailer I just got with the MF12, and hook it to my Jacobsen 800.

Well It was getting late (so i was rushing) and I put a long bolt upside down on the sleeve hitch so I could tow the trailer. Sounds simple enough right?

I made 4 loads into the woods no problem. When I loaded the last load the sun was just setting, and at this point I was hurting so bad I could hardly walk. But I was determined to finish what I started!

So... I am backing up to dump the last load and all of a sudden Something is pushing me off the tractor! I was like wt.... I was in such a position that I couldn't clutch or anything. I finally was able to reach the key and shut it down.

What happened was, The trailer came off and the tongue dug into my lower back and then road up my back while I was still in reverse.

When I got off and looked at everything, The trailer was on its tail straight up in the air and my left rear wheel was in a hole it had dug, because the tractor was stuck up against the trailer bottom.

So umm has anyone else been tattoo'd by a trailer tongue before?

Moral of this story, Don't rush! and make sure you bolt (with a nut) the trailer onto your hitch.

I am just lucky the tongue wasn't sharp, or it could have been allot worse!

And here I thought I was hurting bad before all this. :(
  • middleageddeere said thank you

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 11:00 PM

No pics, but boy do I got stories lol. Probably the most serious was last year. NEVER underestimate stopping distances.. Especially when you got no brakes and are aware of that fact... When you are faced with a hill and a tractor that won't start... I rode the caterpillar out of range and down that hill reaching speeds not achievable in any gear that tractor has LOL... By the way, I have fixed those brakes lol.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 04:04 AM

Chris, I'm glad the tractor got hung up and dug that hole. If I use a bolt, it always goes in with the nut at the bottom.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 05:10 AM

My favorite is to get stuck while plowing the driveway. I've always got a tendency to widen it as far as possible and every once and a while I'll slip off the side. When I had the x475 I got stuck really bad one day with 1 front wheel in the deep snow in a ditch and the opposite rear off the ground. Ice for the other wheel to get traction on. It's impossible to push a 1500lb tractor out of a ditch by yourself. Had to shut it down, walk back to the house and get some planks hoping nobody would see it there stuck while I was gone. I put the planks under the blade and used the down pressure to lift the front end up. Put planks under the fronts and managed to back it out. I have repeated this performance several times including with the 3000+lb 2320. I've started filling these low spots in to help prevent getting stuck.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 08:55 AM

I have a bank out front of my home, next to the road. It drops off about 6' at this particular spot, and I have the bank lined with field rock. Well, this was years ago, and my ONLY GT was my Sears SS16. I always "pushed the envelope" by hugging the bank right next to the rock face, which is over on the tilt of the bank. This one day I pushed too far. It tipped on 2 wheels just a tad, but enough to put my undies in a wad! Then the rear slid a little downhill, and there I was, stuck spinning, and no amount of body english would give me any traction. The way it all was made it impossible for me to get off the upper side unless I wanted to see my tractor tip over the edge & do untold damage to my ride. Teresa had been working on a flower bed for hours that day, and just when I needed her, I looked up & she was gone. I yelled & yelled, but she couldn't hear me. I just shut off the deck, lowered the throttle, and let her spin while I contemplated what to do. Finally, after what seemed like an hour (maybe 5 minutes), Teresa came back out & rushed over (possibly because of my extreme yelling LOL). I knew it would only take a light push, so told her to just pull on the upper rear fender, as there was no room to get behind the tractor & push. With just that light pull, the SS went right on up & out. Time to change underwear then! Yes, I still get close to the bank, but now have wheel weights, and I have an extra 40lbs on me as well, so no problems these days.

#7 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 09:11 AM

Chris, as I was reading your tale all I could imagine was the tongue on my cart riding up your back and that thing would do some damage. Glad you weren't hurt any worse.
  • chris m said thank you

#8 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 09:13 AM

Daniel, you can always take some of the worse situations and turn them around and make them funny. I hear Walmart is having a sale on undies. :laughingteeth:

#9 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 10:54 AM

Chris, as I was reading your tale all I could imagine was the tongue on my cart riding up your back and that thing would do some damage. Glad you weren't hurt any worse.

It was probably just as you imagined it lol. On a brighter note, It made me forget about the other pains I was having :p

#10 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 11:22 AM

It was probably just as you imagined it lol. On a brighter note, It made me forget about the other pains I was having :p

Yea the old adage of when you tooth hurts hit your foot and your tooth won't hurt any more....
  • chris m said thank you

#11 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 01:47 PM

Yea the old adage of when you tooth hurts hit your foot and your tooth won't hurt any more....

And I can verifiy that it works :laughingteeth:

#12 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 02:21 PM

There was one time I was using my '71 with my homemade trailer and it was full of dirt and grass clumps, making for a very heavy load. I parked it on on a slight incline facing downhill and it was in 3rd gear. After the trailer got enough of a load I. It it started to push the tractor forward and pop-started it. I had to run it down and steer it away from the brush line.

#13 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 02:40 PM

There was one time I was using my '71 with my homemade trailer and it was full of dirt and grass clumps, making for a very heavy load. I parked it on on a slight incline facing downhill and it was in 3rd gear. After the trailer got enough of a load I. It it started to push the tractor forward and pop-started it. I had to run it down and steer it away from the brush line.

I bet that would have been funny to watch! :laughingteeth: Kind of like those old silent movies chasing after run away cars.

#14 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 02:41 PM

Ryan, I have chased down a few gts in the past. During a dismount I sometimes kick the springfields into gear and away they go lol.

#15 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 03:00 PM

My brother certainly thought it was funny as he watched from the driveway! If my wheel horse didn't have a seat safety switch I would have had to chase that down one time. I was at my neighbors mowing and there is a big lilac bush and there is one branch about 2 inch in diameter that is cut off and kinda sticks out a little bit. I was mowing around the bush and the branch caught my shoulder since I was not looking for branches that stuck out and pulled me off the tractor. The safety switch worked as it should and shut down the engine.