OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 12:41 PM

I got it off the trailer. Since I couldn't get to the freewheeling pin, I just used the 1256 with the Ag tires and a tow rope, and drug it off until the rear wheels were on the ground, and then just drove out from underneath it :D :D :D

It need a a battery, but I think maybe I'll borrow one from one of the 1256's for now.

GOOD NEWS is that if it's not running it WILL go into reverse. I have a sneaking suspicion that the brake isn't working good enough to stop the drive shaft, and that it's still spinning enough that it won't allow you to get into reverse when the engine is running. If that's the case it should be an easy fix.

It's going to need tires. Both right side tires are flat, and the left sides are pretty weather checked.

I'm kicking around the though of putting Ags or possibly ATV tires on the rear and V61's on the front. At least if I can get them in the proper size.
  • KennyP said thank you

#2 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 01:57 PM

I got it off the trailer. Since I couldn't get to the freewheeling pin, I just used the 1256 with the Ag tires and a tow rope, and drug it off until the rear wheels were on the ground, and then just drove out from underneath it :D :D :D

It need a a battery, but I think maybe I'll borrow one from one of the 1256's for now.

GOOD NEWS is that if it's not running it WILL go into reverse. I have a sneaking suspicion that the brake isn't working good enough to stop the drive shaft, and that it's still spinning enough that it won't allow you to get into reverse when the engine is running. If that's the case it should be an easy fix.

It's going to need tires. Both right side tires are flat, and the left sides are pretty weather checked.

I'm kicking around the though of putting Ags or possibly ATV tires on the rear and V61's on the front. At least if I can get them in the proper size.

if it were mine i would try to keep it original so i would try to find a close match for tires also its hard to find atv tires that are the same size and the price is twice than good AG tires cheers
8tyman8

#3 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 04:09 PM

sounds like you're about to have some fun oldbuzzard i'm loking for another one to start on made an offer on a g14 but no response yet so we'll wait something will come my way . have fun and a blessed evening in Christ :thumbs:

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 04:36 PM

Good news it's off the trailer. Hope the back-up issue is the brake... that would be great!

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 04:44 PM

Good news it's off the trailer. Hope the back-up issue is the brake... that would be great!

I wholeheartedly agree with Alan. Sometimes, it's something simple. Not always, but sometimes. Good luck!

#6 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 04:49 PM

if it were mine i would try to keep it original so i would try to find a close match for tires also its hard to find atv tires that are the same size and the price is twice than good AG tires cheers
8tyman8

I would take issue with the "price is twice than good AG tires".

The 26x12x12 CST Ancla ATV tires that I put on my 1886 cost me just under $200.00 delivered. A pair of Carlisle Tru Power tires from Miller tire would cost me $235.35 delivered.

I'm seriously considering Ancla's for the G11, but, the size that is closest to the stock G11 (23x8.25x12 would be 25x10x12. I haven't looked, but I'm thinking that those would clear the fenders with room to spare. Of course, I would increase the size of the front tires as well to make sure that the tractor was 'level'.

This tractor won't be used for much more than towing trailers, etc. If it IS used for anything other than that, it would be for mounted/standalone implements like the Chipper/Shredder, etc.

Edited by OldBuzzard, May 08, 2012 - 04:50 PM.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 07:20 PM

Glad to hear the transmission problem seems to be an easy fix. Tires are a major expense when you are restoring a GT. I don't think most people realize how expensive they are.

#8 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 09:09 PM

I would take issue with the "price is twice than good AG tires".

The 26x12x12 CST Ancla ATV tires that I put on my 1886 cost me just under $200.00 delivered. A pair of Carlisle Tru Power tires from Miller tire would cost me $235.35 delivered.

I'm seriously considering Ancla's for the G11, but, the size that is closest to the stock G11 (23x8.25x12 would be 25x10x12. I haven't looked, but I'm thinking that those would clear the fenders with room to spare. Of course, I would increase the size of the front tires as well to make sure that the tractor was 'level'.

This tractor won't be used for much more than towing trailers, etc. If it IS used for anything other than that, it would be for mounted/standalone implements like the Chipper/Shredder, etc.

i put Carlisle at428 25x11x12 4 plys on my 12x7.5 rims and put the on my 1254 there tight but work how ever it was a pain in the arse the get the bead to seat proper you can get 25x8x12s for it
cheers
8tyman8

#9 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 02:42 PM

Well, the REAR tire situation is taken care of for the time being at least.

Fella on CL had a pair of 23x9.50x12 tires and wheels listed for $30.00. Original size is 23x8.50x12 so 1" wider shouldn't really make a difference.

They are now sitting in the back of the pickup. If/when the danged rain quits I'll get them put on the tractor.

I'll probably put new tires on once it's restored but these will do until then.

Still debating on what to put on the front. I DO like the looks of the 5-ribbed V61s.

#10 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 07:37 PM

I think I would try and stick with original style tires and tread.
In my opinion a Bolens just dosen't look right with anything but the original size and tread.
The front and rear tires used on these were pretty common and it shouldnt be too hard to find a decent set of used ones to put on it.

#11 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 02:25 PM

Put the 'new' used tires on the 11. They are just a stop gap, until I decide just what I really want.

Bought a new battery, and when I went to install it, found that the end of the Positive battery cable is gone. Guess I'm going to either fix this one of try to find a new one.Good news though is that the battery hold down clamp is there.

Also noticed that Ground cable is on the wrong side of the tractor. I'll have to move that as well.

While I had the right rear wheel off, I got the freewheeling pin out. Thing is it doesn't want to go back in.

I hit it with some sand paper, but that didn't help. I guess I'll have to get some emery cloth and see if I can polish it up enough to slide back in.

#12 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 06:04 PM

Finally got a battery installed in the G11. Had to put a new end on the POS. cable. Still has the orig battery tie down so I used that as well.

I pulled the freewheeling pin from the 800 and put it in the G11, put it in neutral, turned the key, and .......silence :confuse:

At first I was thinking, "Dang, electrical problems". Then I said to my self "Self, I wonder if the interlocks are still working?". So, I mashed down on the clutch/brake, and danged it it didn't start right up :dancingbanana:

Engine sounds GREAT, purrs like a big kitty. That's the GOOD news.

The not so bad news is that when I turned the key to off...it kept running, and I had to ground the plug to get it shut down. Still, that's going to be a lot easier fix than not starting :D

The BAD,BAD news is the reverse seems to be 'gone'. I had hoped that it was just a bad brake on the drive shaft, but with the engine stopped, the trans in reverse, then started, and trying to move, all it does is grind. Not a hard, loud grind, but almost like the old "playing card in the bicycle spokes" kind of grind, like it's just barely touching.

Guess I'm going to have to open it up and take a look. I hope that maybe it's a shift fork, but it shifts into 1st through 3rd, and runs just fine in those gears.

I also got a pair of 'new/used' front wheels for it. The old ones are junk. I have them and some new tires at the local mower shop.

Sure hope I don't have to go looking for a used trans.

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted May 30, 2012 - 07:26 AM

Good news on the running, sorry to hear about the reverse. Hope its not missing teeth or something.