7 replies to this topic

#1 Cozmic1 OFFLINE  

Cozmic1
  • Member No: 9762
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 08:17 AM

Hey there gents,
I picked up what I thought was a deal and could use some guidance from guys who have spent some time with the 448 and 446.
I was able to pick up a 448 ('84) and 446 ('86) with two mowing decks, a snow thrower and a pto on the rear of the 446 all for $1500. The 448 was originally set up for competition pulling (which isn't what I plan to use it for) and the Onan on the 446 is apart (but I was told it ran). I've since picked up a front plow for $100 on craigslist. I'm using the 448 around my house to mow, remove snow and haul stuff around. It's a great machine and does everything I need it to. I've had to have some work done to it like replacing a hose that blew and currently the PTO clutch isn't engaging the belts so it's at the shop getting fixed.
Here's my questions:
1. I did my HW before purchasing them and am pretty sure I did OK. Did I make a deal?
2. I can't seem to locate the pin that the plow blade arm attaches to to lift and lower the blade. Is there a plate that may need to be added?
3. Is it possible and what might it take (time and materials - as someone else will have to do it) to put the PTO from the 446 onto the 448?
4. What other sort of "maintenance" things might I start to look to have to take care of (hoses, clutch and the like) on a machine that's approaching 30 years?
Thanks for your input.
Tom

Edited by Cozmic1, May 08, 2012 - 08:29 AM.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,435 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 07:01 AM

Welcome to the forum. Sorry, but I can't answer your questions, but this will bump the thread. Maybe some of the guru's will notice this.
  • Cozmic1 said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 07:20 AM

I also wanted to welcome you to the forum.
I don't have a Case so, I'm not much help to you.
There are some awfully smart guys on here, they'll be along at some point and hopefully they can answer some of your questions.
  • Cozmic1 said thank you

#4 Cozmic1 OFFLINE  

Cozmic1
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 08:37 AM

Thanks, looking forward to some answers. I've already found a couple of answers for other questions I had in poking around on here. It's also one of the forums that I found I did some of my HW in. Seems there's a bunch of knowledgeable fellows on here.

#5 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 09:52 PM

Welcome to the forum Coz and congrats on your purchase. You didn't do bad and it sounds like you got a great tractor and package.
Make sure the shop has the manual for the clutch which can be found in the manuals section. Most shops probably haven't worked on one of these machines and the cutch is kind of tricky to get right.
http://gardentractor...case-ingersoll/
Which end of the lift arm for the plow are you having trouble with, the plow end or the tractor end?
The pto will swap from one tractor to the other but they changed the wheel base by 2" at some point and the lines wouldn't work from a short wheelbase to the longer. The easiest way to tell is that there's 2" less between the steering column console and the seat mount.
The first and most important maintenance thing to do on a new to you tractor is change the hydraulic oil. These Case tractors run motor oil in the hydraulic system and most of us use Rotella 15w40. For some reason the rearends tend to get water in the oil and it should be changed also. The same 15w40 can be used in it too.
Don't be shy and get us some pics of her. And let us know what was done to it to do competition pulling.

Edited by cp7, May 10, 2012 - 09:53 PM.

• Cozmic1 said thank you

#6 Cozmic1 OFFLINE  

Cozmic1
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 12:18 PM

Thanks for the info cp7. The tractors back home and the clutch is working well. The fellow who was working on it was familiar with the machines and even gave me a copy of the manual to do an adjustment when I need to.
The end of the lift arm that doesn't seem to "have a home" to connect to is the tractor end. I can't seem to find a location that won't be interfered with by either the steering arms or the wheels.
I've already had a line blow and it essentially drained the hydraulic system so it was replaced when I took it in to be repaired. I'll have to check the rear end.
From what was explained to me regarding the set-up for competition he, bored out the carburetor and changed the needle (it runs real hot and only runs well on 89 octane or better), put a larger air intake and filter, has 175lbs of weight in each tire. The tractor is a real bear. I'll probably look into "toning it down some" if it'll allow the machine to run cooler and on regular gas.
After giving it some thought, I think I might sell the rear hydraulic pto as I don't see that it'll be something I'd have a use for. About the only thing I'd like to have for it is a small trenching bucket and I've been unable to locate one for it. If selling it will get me a few bucks that I could us to get a nice cab for winter and a couple of heat shields for my legs, that might be worth it.
I'll post a couple of pics of each of them soon.

#7 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 09:50 PM

Sounds like you've found a good Case mechanic. Good deal.
There should be a plate with six or eight holes that mounts on the tractor. There's a triangle piece by the right footrest that moves with the hydraulic lift and it mounts there.
There's a guy on the forums (there's a few good Case sites out there) that has the Onan parts and goes by the handle boomers_influence, he'll fix you up with a good stock carb. He may even be interested in your altered one.
Your pto should bring a couple hundred but a cab unless you can find a deal will run twice that. The cab I had a couple years ago I shipped to Jersey so they are sought after out your way. Not sure what your after with a trenching bucket. I assume your looking for a rear attachment but you didn't mention if you get a three point hitch on one of them. The heat shields on the Onan are Case specific and don't come up used often. Case turned the Onan engine 180 from all the other manufacturers which blows all that nice warm air towards you so they designed some deflectors.
We do like pictures so don't tease us.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg

• Cozmic1 said thank you

#8 1031d OFFLINE  

1031d

• Member No: 6821
  • 32 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 07:44 AM

Both your tractors are a long frame model so the PTO will swap. You may want to keep it on anyways incase you want a tiller, chipper, hydra-cutter, wood splitter, or bagger. I have a 1985 Ingersoll 446 project that I am about to start.
  • Cozmic1 said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: case, 448, colt/case/ingersoll