• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• Member No: 2666
  • 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 09:21 PM

I'm starting to notice that i'm being a bit of a post-whore on here... not intended, I just know where all the smart people are!

On my Dynamark/MF14, I've installed a power steering pump that i'm using for secondary hydraulics. (have posted about this before)

I'm still having issues throwing belts. On this note, I have a few questions:

1. Is it possible to have the belt too tight?
2. I have the belt in a figure 8. Should I have the pump offset at a slight angle to prevent the belt from rubbing on itself?
3. The pulley on the drive and the pulley on the pump are roughly the same diameter. Could that be just too much RPM for the pump, thus kicking the belt off?

Phew... that's all for now. I'm hoping that some thoughts might get me a few more things to try!

I'll try to get a picture of it up.

EDIT: Pic added.

hydraulic.jpg

Edited by frenchy, May 07, 2012 - 09:29 PM.

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 11:03 PM

1st question YES, I have replaced many power steering pumps because the owners ran the belts to tight. the bearings can't take it.
2nd, Why the figure 8? The way it is on right now looks like it would be the problem
3rd, I wouldn't think the size of your pulleys would do it. the crank shaft pulley on a car is about the same OD as a pump pulley also.

Your biggest problem is that twist. Off setting wouldn't seem it would help. it might actually make it worse.
  • frenchy said thank you

#3 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 03:14 AM

The figure 8 in the belt is too close to the pullies . The belt needs distance to "relax" otherwise it will try to roll over in the pulley thus climbing out and coming off. You need to really turn the pump around.
  • frenchy said thank you

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 05:46 AM

Do you think a "double sided" V belt would work ,( one that has the "V" on both sides ) ? It wouldn't have to twist as much , I never used one myself but have seen them listed , Al
  • frenchy said thank you

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 09:01 AM

The figure 8 in the belt is too close to the pullies . The belt needs distance to "relax" otherwise it will try to roll over in the pulley thus climbing out and coming off. You need to really turn the pump around.

I totally agree. A cris-cross in a belt can't be that close to the pulleys. Turning the pump around is THE answer.
  • frenchy said thank you

#6 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• Member No: 2666
  • 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 10:12 AM

Without multi-quoting the whole post... It sounds like I need to rotate the pump. ;)

Looks like I have another task on hand! Thanks all!