• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gbrown OFFLINE  

gbrown

• Member No: 8021
  • 20 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 08:40 PM

...my Bolens 1050 runs like crap and I don't know what to do to fix it. It starts right up every time, but it doesn't idle good at all.

Now, a bit of background, the choke linkage is missing so I just hold the butterfly closed to get it to start and then let go when it warms up enough to stay running. The problem is, it doesn't matter how warm it gets (or even if I just hold the butterfly open once it's warm) the idle just revs up and down constantly. Also, I don't think I have as much power as I should. I've read all these amazing feats of strength for the tube frames, but mine just doesn't seem too impressive.

No, it doesn't smoke.

All I really know to do is a basic tune-up: air and fuel filters, spark plug, perhaps a plug wire, new points, etc. I guess I just fear spending the (albeit, little) money and time only to find it doesn't run any better.

Anyone have ideas on where I can start checking things before I start replacing things? Thanks for any and all help.

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 09:09 PM

From your description, it sounds like the carb may need to be rebuilt. I would also check for air leaks around the carb. How comfortable do you feel about rebuilding a carb?
  • gbrown said thank you

#3 gbrown OFFLINE  

gbrown

• 20 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 09:14 PM

From your description, it sounds like the carb may need to be rebuilt. I would also check for air leaks around the carb. How comfortable do you feel about rebuilding a carb?

I think I could rebuild the carb. Any idea if a kit would include the missing linkage for the choke? The cable is there, just not the part to hook it to the butterfly on the carb itself...

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 09:20 PM

I agree with Bill's diagnosis. I would start with looking for air leaks first. I usually use carb cleaner. Spray it around the gaskets and throttle/choke shafts while running & the engine will change significantly if there is a leak. Just not so much as to be unsafe or make a major mess and only do it to an engine that hasn't been running long enough to be hot. Also, do it outside for safety's sake.

If nothing found, it's rebuild time or you have pretty low compression. An engine doesn't have to smoke to have low compression, it's just the norm.
  • gbrown said thank you

#5 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 09:27 PM

...my Bolens 1050 runs like crap and I don't know what to do to fix it. It starts right up every time, but it doesn't idle good at all.

Now, a bit of background, the choke linkage is missing so I just hold the butterfly closed to get it to start and then let go when it warms up enough to stay running. The problem is, it doesn't matter how warm it gets (or even if I just hold the butterfly open once it's warm) the idle just revs up and down constantly. Also, I don't think I have as much power as I should. I've read all these amazing feats of strength for the tube frames, but mine just doesn't seem too impressive.

No, it doesn't smoke.

All I really know to do is a basic tune-up: air and fuel filters, spark plug, perhaps a plug wire, new points, etc. I guess I just fear spending the (albeit, little) money and time only to find it doesn't run any better.

Anyone have ideas on where I can start checking things before I start replacing things? Thanks for any and all help.

it sounds like the carb needs to be rebuilt and set they are not that hard to rebuild... or you can order a Good Used carb of Ebay they are $40 or so i have rebuilt my own carbs and made my own gaskets out of a cereal box and they work fine

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 09:39 PM

I think I could rebuild the carb. Any idea if a kit would include the missing linkage for the choke? The cable is there, just not the part to hook it to the butterfly on the carb itself...

You will probably have to order the choke linkage separately.
  • gbrown said thank you

#7 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 10:30 PM

One of the sites sponsors may be able to help with your carb linkage, You can find them on the home page. good luck, that is a good tractor and you will get it running right!!!!!

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 06:11 AM

Sounds like a carb issue.
When you take apart the carb check and see how it lines up without a gasket around it. If you see gaps and the carb wont close flat then you have a warped carb, which seemed to be a very common issue on these zenith's.

You will have to order the choke linkage separately as a carb kit just comes with the bare essentials such as a idle screw, needle valve and a few gaskets, ect.

#9 gbrown OFFLINE  

gbrown

• 20 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 06:58 AM

If nothing found, it's rebuild time or you have pretty low compression. An engine doesn't have to smoke to have low compression, it's just the norm.

I believe I've read on these forums some where that you can't check compression on these old Wisconsins. Is this true?

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 07:09 AM

I believe I've read on these forums some where that you can't check compression on these old Wisconsins. Is this true?

Yes, That is correct
On the later models (1966 and up) the engines had a compression release so there is no way to get an accurate reading.