8 replies to this topic

#1 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 10:06 PM

For reason of fitting in my truck to haul it to the lots I take care of I was thinking of either converting the massey deck I have into a rear discharge or to adapt a different deck to the tractor. I am looking for some opinions here as to if it could be done as a conversion of the existing deck or not. Or is it more feasible to find a deck off something like a Toro/Wheel Horse as I know some of them were rear discharge. My Massey deck is pretty well abused and needs a LOT of attention to get it going and is no where near a candidate for a restoration so I am not worried about ruining a good deck as it is pretty bad, (i.e pitted hard, holes in the shell, shell is bent, lots of patchwork weld, bearings all shot, blades shot, all the pullies shot). The one thing I can salvage from it is the right angle gearbox as it is in good shape. This and some hangers made and I think I could adapt something.

So who's got some ideas? What's close to it? 36"-42" is big enough for it and I would lean more towards the 36".

#2 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 10:19 PM

Toro WH had a 42" rear discharge deck but you would have to switch over all the mounting brackets and then there's the right angle gear box. Maybe you could some how put a twist in the belt like the WH has???
  • IHCubGuy said thank you

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,460 Thanks
  • 6,630 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 05:57 AM

Since this deck you have needs work anyway could you cut the side chute off and make some kind of quick attache bracket ? Or hinged ? Al

#4 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,077 Thanks
  • 1,446 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 07:38 AM

Problems I've found with a rear discharge deck is that grass tends to get blown up into the wheels,makes a mess on the trans case etc: In taller grass the grass also seems to make rows of cut grass behind the tractor.So unless your prepared to start raking picking grass etc: I'd shy away from that style of deck. Thats my way of thinking anyway. Larry

Edited by massey driver, May 07, 2012 - 07:46 AM.

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,460 Thanks
  • 6,630 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 07:43 AM

Larry's right about the rear discharge , my Mom's WH has a 36" rear discharge , and it tends to clump up where the deck wheels ride if the grass is a little wet but on the other hand they do work nice when using the pull behind sweeper because you can cut and pick up in one shot . The other thing yuo can cut close on both sides if there are alot of things to mow around . Al

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 10:53 AM

Rear discharge doesn't distribute the clippings well on these units. I would stay with side discharge myself.

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 11:32 AM

I remember years ago a guy I worked with was really proud of his wheelhorse rear discharge mower.
Till he ran over some trash and it thew a piece of steel and cut down and ruined rear tire?
Then He did not think it was such a good idea..

#8 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 02:49 PM

Great if you are pulling a sweeper with you.

#9 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 08:00 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking about the fact of it going back for my lawn sweeper as well as another benefit. It seems the pervailing opinion is that they are not the best choice for in the yard. For the lots I do this wouldn't matter as much as they are vacant lots without houses on them yet. What I am doing with my garden tractors is allready better than what most of them get by being "bush hogged" with a bigger tractor. The fact that they do make the underside of the tranny dirtier is not something I had considered and is good to know.