• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stoney OFFLINE  

stoney

• Member No: 586
  • 2 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted June 27, 2010 - 08:38 PM

I have a 1050 that's in need of some major repair, the motor needs rebuilt and the rear either needs repaired or replaced. I had the tractor running some time ago right after I got it, the engine knocked and smoked and the trans/axle made noise like there were teeth missing in a couple gears. My question is, when do you say it needs to much and wouldn't be worth repairing. I've seen these on CL going for a couple hundred in decent working condition. Before becoming a member here this tractor was definately on the list to go, now I'm having second thoughts. Stoney

#2 chopperfreak2k1 OFFLINE  

chopperfreak2k1

Tractorholic

• Member No: 300
  • 17 Thanks
  • 431 posts

Posted June 27, 2010 - 08:54 PM

for me it all comes down to how much i like the machine. but on the other hand i've never gotten rid of a tractor! LOL

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted June 27, 2010 - 09:03 PM

Doesn't sound too far gone to me, but then I take them as a challenge sometimes. I'll put it this way....repaired well & it'll last another 40 years, buy a modern replacement tractor, then replace the whole thing every 5 to 10 years.

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,668 Thanks
  • 17,196 posts

Posted June 27, 2010 - 09:08 PM

Doesn't sound too far gone to me, but then I take them as a challenge sometimes. I'll put it this way....repaired well & it'll last another 40 years, buy a modern replacement tractor, then replace the whole thing every 5 to 10 years.

:ditto:

The engine will probably cost the most to rebuild. I recommend getting a used transmission from another tractor to replace the old one with , because buying the gears singly is very expensive.

But overall it sounds like the tractor still has life :)

#5 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted June 27, 2010 - 09:24 PM

Ditto from me on all the above replies.

#6 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted June 28, 2010 - 06:04 PM

Bad engine, bad rear......to me, that would be parted out......not saying that I couldn't rebuild the engine, I have done many car engines in my day, ....just I can't be bothered anymore......I would just find another and use this one for parts.

#7 stoney OFFLINE  

stoney

• Member No: 586
  • 2 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted June 29, 2010 - 06:28 AM

Good morning all. Appreciate the replys, for now I think I'll just stick it back in the corner. Never know when I'll need a part off of it or stumble on to some parts to fix it. I'd like to have one that's restored, thought about doing the 850 but I use it often and would just get all bummed up.