• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 07:44 PM

I assume a new filter is in process? And I would keep running Seafoam assuming it does the trick.

#17 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• Member No: 1713
  • 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 09:10 PM

Thank you, Thank you----THERE IS A GOD!-----before i explain my sudden joy, i have to complete my story first,,,,, so after the seafoam additition, i waited a sufficient time block(watched the news, weather, NY and Washington game a bit, then out i went, again, changed fuel filter-just to be sure, then started it up again. this time it started about the same, then when i gave it a bit, just a bit, of throttle, ---dies.... repeat start,---again----slightest throttle----dies. so, of course i'm thinking----i actually made things worse,-then i glanced at the air filter box-----and EUREKA!!!, ----i started to loosen the nicely painted yellow retaining nut and yes, boys and girls, it started to run better and better.... so in a flash, i took the top off, hit the throttle and the briggs sprang to life like i knew it could.......
so now i must confess i feel really, really, how should i put it----hhmmm, i guess stupid is the right word....
and i must apologize, to those whose time i wasted, but also say...'you are welcome' to those that i have entertained....

my good mood has beeb spoiled though----the Rangers just tied the game with 6 seconds to go.....
i guess you(oops, i mean me) are/am never too old to learn---or remember......

must end with thanks to all who took time out-----with or without popcorn....
  • MH81 and chris m have said thanks

#18 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 10:48 PM

That's great news! Post back when you get a chance to run it through it's paces. And No apology needed!! As I see it you learned allot about your engine since 1st posting here. Just remember never think any question or problem is to stupid to ask for our help. We have all been there. This is how we learn! Good luck testing it out! I look forward to an update and some pictures would be nice :smilewink: :thumbs:

#19 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 03:26 PM

I believe it is your battery, take it out and take it to an auto parts store for a load test, they normally don't charge for that. You PTO put a big strain on the battery when you engage it and it the power isn't there it won't run.

Dick

#20 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 06:49 PM

Try pulling the choke out a bit before you engage the PTO and see if the engine keeps running or at least runs better/longer. That may help with determining if the problem is electrical or fuel although it does sound like fuel. But again with the wiggling the wire making a difference it is hard to tell.

Edited by GTTinkerer, December 06, 2012 - 06:51 PM.

#21 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 10:26 AM

From everything I have read I am going to say your battery could have a dead or weak cell. To check it properly, take it out and take it to just about any auto parts store and have a load test done one it. Most auto part stores do NOT charge for that service just hoping it is bad so they can sell you a new one.

Dick

#22 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 11:18 AM

His air filter was plugged, back in May. :smilewink: