21 replies to this topic

#1 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• Member No: 1713
  • 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 07:44 PM

hello,
as topic says, as soon as I engage pto switch, the motor dies.
But then I have to use choke to start engine???
****it did run for a few minutes once---but very rough????
I read brake switch could cause this---but I adjusted that already, so it starts nice all the time---
oh,,,, last straw tonight.... the pto switch is stuck, it pills out, but cannot flip it up?????
Could this switch be the whole problem????
Again, any help would get me on the road to sanity again,
thanks

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 07:52 PM

To me it sounds like your switch is shorting out. As long as the deck spins free, I would say the switch is the problem. A dead short would kill an engine as it uses the the voltage form the battery for the spark. ( unlike the magneto ignitions)

It could be the PTO it self, but I am leaning towards the switch, because you say it is also stuck now. Good luck!

#3 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 07:53 PM

Yes, easy to change. I recomend starting there.

#4 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 08:09 PM

thanks,
i have another switch from a 111, hope it is the same.....
i will try that one and pray------
again thanks,,,,
  • chris m said thank you

#5 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 10:34 PM

well, i switched the pto switch, sort of speak, and that is not the problem........
now i noticed that if i move this white wire by the engine front going into the bundle that leads back to the ignition switch, i can actually engage the pto and it stays running......this white wire in fixed to the engine shroud and has another-black wire going somewhere else? where the join on the shroud, they are on some sort of insulated tab-----sooooooo, right away i thought the oil and crud is causing a short, so i cleaned it off ,,,,nope, not it........also, yes just to make it all more interesting, when i give more throttle, you guessed it...kills the engine...
wait, there is more, did you get some popcorn?, each time after engine dies, i have to choke it, almost as if fuel was cut off, and that is why engine died......
that is about it for now.... time to see if i can find wiring diagram on the net,
help! Any one!? :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:

#6 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 11:07 PM

I'll do some searching to. But... you know you may be onto something. maybe you are getting starved for fuel. makes sense! You engage PTO (Load on Engine), Engine dies,you need to use the choke to start it or keep it running. Have you done any type of maintenance to the fuel system? Was the tractor running before all this or did you just get it?

It is starting to sound like a clogged fuel line (dirty filter, strainer in tank)
water in the gas
carb that has been sitting and needs to be taken apart and cleaned (rebuilt)

Give us a little more info, including the engine type and size, and any other info you can think of that might help

Your original stuck PTO switch might just be something all together different,
  • zolt said thank you

#7 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 11:26 PM

well, i switched the pto switch, sort of speak, and that is not the problem........
now i noticed that if i move this white wire by the engine front going into the bundle that leads back to the ignition switch, i can actually engage the pto and it stays running......this white wire in fixed to the engine shroud and has another-black wire going somewhere else? where the join on the shroud, they are on some sort of insulated tab-----sooooooo, right away i thought the oil and crud is causing a short, so i cleaned it off ,,,,nope, not it........also, yes just to make it all more interesting, when i give more throttle, you guessed it...kills the engine...
wait, there is more, did you get some popcorn?, each time after engine dies, i have to choke it, almost as if fuel was cut off, and that is why engine died......
that is about it for now.... time to see if i can find wiring diagram on the net,
help! Any one!? :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:

I have to add this!!! I was reading this update. I got to the part about "did you get some popcorn" I about choked!!! I never make popcorn but.. I had just made some and I was reading that when I shoved some in my mouth LOL!!! That was just to ironic!!! cause I never read a post were someone put that, let alone while I was eating it.
  • IamSherwood said thank you

#8 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 11:30 PM

funny you should say ' fuel starvation', cuz when i was told by my better half that i was waking up the neighbours and so i finally came in from the garage, i was thinking the same thing.....
the motor is a briggs horizontally opposed twin, 16 hp., it has been sitting for a while-2 yrs, and i have never cleaned carb or tank, or changed filter, so maybe it is time.......
come to think of it, even if i run it without playing with pto, and i shut it off normally, and then wait even a few minutes, it still needs choke to start....hhmmmm.....
this will keep my brain occupied tomorrow when i'm in for a blood test.........

#9 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 11:35 PM

chris, that is just too too funny........
thanks.....
reading your last reply, replaced my stress with a smile,
zolt

#10 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 11:40 PM

chris, that is just too too funny........
thanks.....
reading your last reply, replaced my stress with a smile,
zolt

I'm glad! That was just wayyy to funny.

#11 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 11:45 PM

funny you should say ' fuel starvation', cuz when i was told by my better half that i was waking up the neighbours and so i finally came in from the garage, i was thinking the same thing.....
the motor is a briggs horizontally opposed twin, 16 hp., it has been sitting for a while-2 yrs, and i have never cleaned carb or tank, or changed filter, so maybe it is time.......
come to think of it, even if i run it without playing with pto, and i shut it off normally, and then wait even a few minutes, it still needs choke to start....hhmmmm.....
this will keep my brain occupied tomorrow when i'm in for a blood test.........

If it was sitting for 2 years. one if it has old gas in it then the gas is bad, also if gas was in the carb it has now turned to varnish. You really would need to clean the tank and the carb out. You could try adding seafoam to the gas (after you drain the old stuff) Allot of people are swearing by the stuff. They sell it at TS and most Auto parts stores now. If you try this run the engine for awhile it may just get rid of the varnish as long as it isn't real bad. And if it works it only cost you $10 and saved you from having to remove the carb.

#12 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 12:08 AM

going into big city tomorrow, so i'll pick up some sea foam and i'll do the 'liquid engineering' first and hope tha solves the problem....
.....the more i think about it, the more i'm getting convinced it is 'fuel starvation'......
update tomorrow......
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

#13 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 12:09 AM

going into big city tomorrow, so i'll pick up some sea foam and i'll do the 'liquid engineering' first and hope tha solves the problem....
.....the more i think about it, the more i'm getting convinced it is 'fuel starvation'......
update tomorrow......
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Good luck! I'll keep checking back tomorrow :thumbs:

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 04:59 AM

Zolt, it still sounds like you may have some bad connections in the wiring. It's generally a good idea to examine all the connections on an older tractor and clean them up, replacing any that are badly corroded or show signs of overheating. Those PTO switches with the interlock contacts can be trouble as well. I had to repair the one in my 314 to get it working properly.

#15 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 07:18 PM

thanks guys,
for all suggestions---so far switched the pto switch, new plugs, cleaned connections on switches, put in seafoam today---after i tried to drain tank but it barely trickles out, (BUT THIS IS THROUGH FUEL FILTER), so i am guessing it is plugged really badly, cuz even when i tried blowing back into the tank i just turn blue, so i used the blow gun----same, i can see gas barely moving back towards gas tank.....
and get this,----- i can engage the deck at barely idle speed and motor stays running, but as soon as i try to throttle up---motor dies, also as i mow, it stays running on really low grass, but as soon as i hit heavy growth, you guessed it--dies.
Now i am just going to pray that the seafoam cleans things out after having run it for a while, and now it is just sitting. Or do i have to keep it running for the seafoam to keep working?
anyway, with my luck, i see a carb cleaning in my future-----
if you have not lost interest yet, and have any more advice or opinions, please let me know........
i was at princess auto today, and was thinking.....too bad that 13 hp. diesel is a vertical shaft......sigh.....