• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 saleen322 OFFLINE  

saleen322

• Member No: 3625
  • 18 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 06:22 PM

The Onan CCKA in my 8171 is getting tired with the compression on my tester reading around 65. Now that I have a parts 816 AND a Onan CCKA that the previous owner listed as no good, I felt brave enough to try to freshen it up. As most of you guys know, these things are heavy. I did find that I can mount it on an engine stand using two bolts. I really recommend this as it makes positioning the engine much easier. The machine was neglected and it was covered in grease/dirt. Posted Image

The good news was the engine bore was still near spec but the bad news there was about a 0.002" ridge right at the bottom of the piston stroke. In a perfect world, I would get it bored, new pistons, etc but I had a set of standard rings so I decided to just rough up the cylinders with a hone and see how much difference it makes. Posted Image

It is learning experience and it did take the compression from 65 to 100. More pics to follow.
  • MH81 said thank you

#2 saleen322 OFFLINE  

saleen322

• Member No: 3625
  • 18 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 12:37 AM

This is piston after the new rings and refacing the valves. I bought a little gizmo in the late 70s that lets you chuck a valve in an electric drill and you turn in against a stone that you chose the angle of the face. It is primative but it does work.
Posted Image
The stator had one wire broken and another one just hanging on. I put shrink tubing on and resoldered them into place. I bought a $5 can of some red engine paint at Advance Auto Parts and here is what it looked like.
Posted Image
It started and ran but it started to backfire at random and would just stop for no appearent reason. I checked everything and found I could not get any resistance reading across the secondaries of the coil. I bought 2 more Gravelys yesterday (total now of 5 - I am now on the wagon!) and one was a 816. The coil on it reads about 12K on the secondaries so I will try it.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 10:28 AM

Looks alot better now, hope the coil fixes your issue.
Thanks for the pics.
  • saleen322 said thank you

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 10:39 AM

it did take the compression from 65 to 100. More pics to follow.

100 is plenty good compression. Hard to even run right at 65psi. 115 is the max you usually get from these in new condition, so 100 will do just fine for years.

#5 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 10:54 AM

That looks like an entirely different engine! Good job on it.