8 replies to this topic

#1 quirks OFFLINE  

quirks
  • Member No: 9735
  • 2 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 05:28 PM

Hi,

Please see long sob story in new member intro (Central OR).

Short form: just got new Hino C144, aka Massey 1010. Helpful guy put on emergency brake, could not get brake off, tractor still on trailer. Cannot download manual from here. Any suggestions? I will give up and order a manual from amazon or someone on Monday but wanted to see if the Massey 1010 manual really was adequate for my Hino or something was lost in translation.

Thanks for your indulgence. Going back out to try again.
Quirks

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 05:41 PM

Hi,

Please see long sob story in new member intro (Central OR).

Short form: just got new Hino C144, aka Massey 1010. Helpful guy put on emergency brake, could not get brake off, tractor still on trailer. Cannot download manual from here. Any suggestions? I will give up and order a manual from amazon or someone on Monday but wanted to see if the Massey 1010 manual really was adequate for my Hino or something was lost in translation.

Thanks for your indulgence. Going back out to try again.
Quirks

Rather then posting a couple threads to mention that for some reason you can't download manuals from here you could submit one post to the site questions forum to let us know or post in the ask for manuals thread in the garden tractor forum.

It isn't always the site that causes files to not download correctly and if they don't download correctly it does cause it to count against the download limit per day. If you have a link to the manual you want you are trying to download one of us can help get it to you.
  • quirks said thank you

#3 quirks OFFLINE  

quirks
  • 2 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 05:58 PM

Hi,
I have already asked privately about my manual download issue and was told to make more posts. Hence a post. This may be one of those
"if one does or if one doesn't" moments.

I can see my phrasing is ambiguous but really what I intended to ask was if someone had a MF 1010 with a sticky, tricky emergency brake.

I have not posted to forums for years so I am a bit rusty. Sorry.

Thanks for your suggestions
quirks

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 06:06 PM

My Massey 1010 does not have an emergency brake as such. Just a brake pedal lock mechanism. I flip a yellow knob on the right of the dash tower while pushing the left brake pedal.
  • quirks said thank you

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 06:48 PM

Hi,
I have already asked privately about my manual download issue and was told to make more posts. Hence a post. This may be one of those
"if one does or if one doesn't" moments.

I can see my phrasing is ambiguous but really what I intended to ask was if someone had a MF 1010 with a sticky, tricky emergency brake.

I have not posted to forums for years so I am a bit rusty. Sorry.

Thanks for your suggestions
quirks

Not a problem. I know it can be frustrating too when you sign up to a site and then you get an error. We do have limits on the files as you found out but it is mainly because we don't charge for them as nobody should have to pay to share information, however we try and do our best to make it a little harder for someone to just sign up and download every manual they can and then turn around and sell them on ebay or other sites.

I sent you a private message with a link to the manual I think you are trying to get. Also welcome to GTtalk.
  • quirks said thank you

#6 quirks OFFLINE  

quirks
  • 2 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 07:12 PM

My Massey 1010 does not have an emergency brake as such. Just a brake pedal lock mechanism. I flip a yellow knob on the right of the dash tower while pushing the left brake pedal.

Yes, I have something similar, on the right side of the shifter. I just went out to make sure the brake lock was actually hooked up and it was. Your explaination makes sense since the brake pedals are immoveable. The pedals are currently locked together so I will unhook those and try just the left one. I did have some success since I could start it, lift the tiller and try to reverse. SInce the brake was actually on, I could not back out.
Thanks again,
Quirks

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 08:08 PM

Look onto the LEFT side of the dash panel. There is a notched piece, and you will see that the lever on the right goes through the dash panel to the left side, where it engages the notches to do the brake locking. Mine is sticky too, so I flip the lever, then push the brakes down, while pulling the left end of the system out of the notches. I need to lube mine up sometime too, so this is almost certainly your problem.
  • quirks said thank you

#8 quirks OFFLINE  

quirks
  • 2 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 08:24 PM

Look onto the LEFT side of the dash panel. There is a notched piece, and you will see that the lever on the right goes through the dash panel to the left side, where it engages the notches to do the brake locking. Mine is sticky too, so I flip the lever, then push the brakes down, while pulling the left end of the system out of the notches. I need to lube mine up sometime too, so this is almost certainly your problem.

I got it!! Your first comment was exactly on target. I unlinked the two brake pedal, depressed the left pedal and then was able to unlock the brake lock. I relinked the two pedal and was able to back the tractor out. Note pix of tractor with teen model (not operator, no closed toe shoes) Pat yourself on the back for us-- you have made our week, if not month.
Thank you so very much
Quirks and daughter

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 08:33 PM

No problem, as that's what we're here for. These are great tractors. Only differences between the Hino & MF are sheet metal variances. Linking the pedals means you won't have steering help via the brakes, but if new to tractors, then it's best to keep the brakes locked together to prevent wild accidental turns if you go to stop & only hit one pedal. BUT, make sure both pedals engage the brakes at the same point in pedal travel. If they don't, then locking them together will still engage one side before the other. Just push them down individually & see if they are pretty much even when you feel them apply brake force. If not, download the manual & seek the adjustment procedure. Not hard at all to do.