sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 02:48 PM

I am cleaning and rebuilding a zenith carb for a 60's wisconsin S7D.

I have never done this so I am asking before I proceed.

I have taken out the throttle lever and was going to replace the seal and retainer seal......see pictures below.....my question is the seal in the throttle shaft is held in with the indents on the carb itself.....

I am assuming I take these out to put the new ones in??......any tricks to this???

Just do not want to damage the carburetor.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• wisconsinS7Dzenithcarb1.JPG
  • WisconsinS7Dcarb2.JPG

#2 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 04:32 PM

If it were me, I would pop the old ones out then take a dremel or small file to get rid of those dimples.You shouldn't even have to lock the new ones in. The shaft should hold them in place. Even the bushing on a Carter carb (like in another thread today) it just drops in the hole and the shaft holds it in. If the shaft doesn't rest against it, then you could just make new dimples or just re do the old 3 using a round punch.

No matter what you do have to make that hole round before installing the new ones. Good Luck :thumbs:
  • sacsr said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 06:16 PM

That retainer ring looks too large for the hole the seals fits into. Looks like the retainer should be the same size as the seal itself??? I'd be sure the retainer would fit before touching the old one.

#4 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 02:38 PM

Well I got this resolved.....put it back together and now a new problem(s).........thought I was being smart rebuilding the carb......before I a had a running GT....now it is no longer cranking up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Argh!! is right!!

I cleaned off all the old gaskets...installed new.....and it is leaking every where!!! it is not sealing on the head.....and the top and lower pieces of the carb are not sealing as well......note nothing is flat/straight.......so where do I go from here????

Attached Thumbnails

• ZenithCarb.JPG

#5 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 03:01 PM

I never had that problem on a Zenith yet. only on the old Briggs down draft carbs. I'm going out to the shop right now. I'll check some of my Zeniths to see what i can come up with for a fix.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 03:07 PM

By the pic, it would appear the upper part of the carb is warped, and the bowl top is still flat? I have carefully straightened carbs before, but it's risky business. I simply hole the carb body in one hand, then with a very small hammer, I lightly rap the spot that is too high.You want to start on both sides of the highest part of the warp and work toward center. If you leave the bowl attached, this will give you an idea how you are doing, and will prevent you from going too far. When done, if still not perfect, you may need to cut a new gasket from thicker material so it can squeeze down & better fill gaps. If the intake part is warped where it mates to the head, that's easier. Just lay a piece of 80 or 120 sandpaper on a good flat surface, then drag the sealing area across the paper to level it's surface.

#7 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 03:25 PM

I agree with Daniel on this one. I've done 4 briggs carbs so far. but it is risky, and in my case I had nothing to loose. On those I put them between soft jaws in my vise and heated them while squeezing them together, then I let it cool, and repeated the process. I then lap the bottom half mating flange and stone any high spots left on the upper flange. I've had great results so far. But everything has to be apart and I wash the pieces first to get rid of any gas. Try the hammer method 1st. IMO you have nothing to loose. at this point you would need a different top half for that carb. so I would try to straighten it. Good Luck!

#8 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 06:23 PM

Thanks guys...I have two carbs from two different s7d's.....both are warped some......this one the worst.....will try to tapping it down....

Then sand down the part that attaches to the head.......

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 10, 2012 - 06:31 PM

If you have a large file, you can use it on the intake end.