Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

I Am Freaked Out With This Danged Kohler 321!

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 04:17 PM

I do believe it to be a Carter, as the rebuild kits I got was for a Carter. So, where does one obtain these bushings? Ebay?

I will have to get this ASAP...I have both blue and red locktight...I hardly ever use red as its a pain to deal with.

Wow..thanks Guys Gotta love these old GT's! I do forsure, if I can get my wife to locate a camera today, I will take some pictures of my old GT's so you can see the stuff I am dealing with. I love'em but she hates them and calls them old junk and sometimes when I get frustrated I say it too..So Hey Maybe I can show you my junk shortly

http://www.xxxxxxxx....#ht_2366wt_1257

Is that what I need? I hope it's ok to post links, Note to change the www.ebay back. from xxxxxxx, just replace the x's with ebay.

Let me tell you this about Loctite. I have been to seminars and training classes put on by Loctite. Even they say not to use Red unless it is something that vibrates allot or something you never plan to take apart again. They recommend Blue for almost all applications.
  • maxedout said thank you

#17 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 05:07 PM

I have been down the same road and it can be a real pain.Glad that you got it figured out.

#18 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • Member No: 9548
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 06:55 PM

I have a ways to go but now we're on the right track thanks to all the guys on GT today. I know now for sure the throttle shaft is going to need new bushings. I've already ordered those, again thanks to the advice I got here. I went ahead and ordered 2 sets of them just in case.

After Tractorholic gave me the advice to go ahead and adjust that governor, I got my nerve up and just went out there with shop manual in hand and did it.

I would have never attempted that without encouragement and now I am so happy I did it! I was jumping for joy! It went from governor hunting to running almost and I mean almost as smooth as it should. I almost bet when I get the bushing replace it will smooth right on out or should do after some carburetor adjustment.

One would never think a little play could make that much of a difference but it sure proved it to me today and I am so happy I do not have to purchase a new carburetor or and I say hope no governor repairs or replacements which is well beyond my experiences.

Here's an update just for fun, I tanked it up with some gas and about half a bottle of seafoam and I was happy as a pig in a slop bucket. It ran the best, knock on wood it has since I heard it back in December. I rode it around about 30 minutes on hills and mowed some along my moms driveway and came home and said Old girl you deserve a good cleaning up.

Washed it, waxed it and cleaned up the tires and deck, gave it a tad of grease and put it away in the work shop with a nice cover. I thought it deserved it after it almost purred for me.

Now for those bushing replacements!

Gosh I think ole Tractorholic could have be rebuilding engines after today! Well, maybe that's going a little far but I can dream!

Thanks so much friends! Thanks for helping and thanks for loving GT's as much as I!
  • chris m said thank you

#19 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 07:17 PM

I do believe it to be a Carter, as the rebuild kits I got was for a Carter. So, where does one obtain these bushings? Ebay?

I will have to get this ASAP...I have both blue and red locktight...I hardly ever use red as its a pain to deal with.

Wow..thanks Guys Gotta love these old GT's! I do forsure, if I can get my wife to locate a camera today, I will take some pictures of my old GT's so you can see the stuff I am dealing with. I love'em but she hates them and calls them old junk and sometimes when I get frustrated I say it too..So Hey Maybe I can show you my junk shortly

http://www.xxxxxxxx....#ht_2366wt_1257

Is that what I need? I hope it's ok to post links, Note to change the www.ebay back. from xxxxxxx, just replace the x's with ebay.

OK junk pic's are added up, I have some better ones she took being I have no idea to work the camera. She wanted our Grandson added and yes he needs a JD like his Pa! These are pic's of the JD214, 210 and the Cub and my Honda 300 atv. I have pics of the 172 also but she wouldn't load them because the hood is being repaired.

Great Pic's Thanks. Looks like a nice team you got there! That's awesome that your grandson has a little deere to!! :thumbs:

#20 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 08:53 PM

I used bronzes washers from Ace Hardware, they were 7/16" od and 1/4" id used two of them - cost 40 cent each. I did take in my throttle shaft - to check the bronze washers to fit right and got to screws to fit with lock washer and nuts. Total cost around $2
Brought enough to do three carbs. I had the blue Locktite already.
to put in the bronze washer I used a 1/4" bolt x 3/4" the tapped lightly the head of the bolt until the washers was flush with the top of the carb. then put it back together.

#21 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 11:15 PM

Sadly we have no ACE Hardware stores any where close to here, we do have our Local Mountain View hardware store, they might have what I need in that case. I did go ahead and order two kits off that site, they were cheap enough to make me happy. I'd still like to try to find those washers for later on down the road. I have a 210 also and I am sure it will need replacing one day. It would be fun to learn to make do and use what was local.

I might check into that, later on this week.

I really hope the shaft isn't worn down too, because I see no replacement shafts tonight on fleabay...

#22 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 11:19 PM

Sadly we have no ACE Hardware stores any where close to here, we do have our Local Mountain View hardware store, they might have what I need in that case. I did go ahead and order two kits off that site, they were cheap enough to make me happy. I'd still like to try to find those washers for later on down the road. I have a 210 also and I am sure it will need replacing one day. It would be fun to learn to make do and use what was local.

I might check into that, later on this week.

I really hope the shaft isn't worn down too, because I see no replacement shafts tonight on fleabay...

Normally the shaft is fine as the carb is aluminum so it wears first.

#23 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 08:25 AM

Kohler makes a complete carb rebuild kit.If you want the part # I can get it for you.Later Josh

#24 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 09:26 AM

Kohler makes a complete carb rebuild kit.If you want the part # I can get it for you.Later Josh

Hi Josh! Last night I found several kits on Ebay that supposedly fit that carburetor but lord have mercy, for about $20 bucks more, I could buy a new carburetor. The only differences in the kit I could see it included the throttle shaft and bushing with screws. I paid $6 bucks for a re-build kit, that included the intake gasket. I did some more research and found a kit that included the shaft, bushings and screws only, $7.00 bucks, went on found the low idle screw, $2.00 bucks and a regular kit for $6.00 bucks.

Bushing kit with shaft, $7
Gasket kit with jet, $6
Low Idle screw, $2

Should be around $20 bucks right?

The do all kit so to speak cheapest I found last night was $60 bucks not including the $8 bucks shipping! LOL! All it was, gaskets, jet, and bushing with screws and the shaft. Nothing special about that kit and that is way over priced I think.

Found a brand new carburetor, for $72 bucks!

I have already re-built the gaskets and put a new jet in the carburetor so all I need I suppose is the Bushing kit which I ordered 2 of last night. I would really like to have 2 new shafts but danged if I am going to pay $68 bucks a pop just to get a shaft!

Oh, I found a boat load of very helpful video's on Youtube that is pretty in depth and gives you a step by step on replacing those bushings just in case someone else might need some help with this. Found some that explain how the worn out bushings effect your engines and what they do when those bushings are leaking huge amounts of air.

If you have some time and wouldn't mind listing the Kohler Part Number for the kit you found not only would it help me but it might help someone else down the road. In fact being we know what I think I need, might be good to cross check and make sure I am getting the right stuff so to speak.

Thanks Josh, by the way my name is Chuck, I just use my screen name mostly but for GT's lovers I got to add my real name, but I noticed we've already got some Chuck's here! Suppose one more will not hurt just make it confusing! LOL

Edited by maxedout, May 07, 2012 - 09:29 AM.

#25 bgkid2966 ONLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 09:58 AM

It is amazing how strange things can get with loose throttle shafts. The old quadrajets from the 70s were notorious for worn shafts and housings. I will be anxious to hear it runs perfect when you get the parts and repair it.

Geno

#26 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 05:52 PM

The throttle shaft repair kit # Koh 25-757-16-s.The kit should sell for $45.39.I would not replace the carb.I would rebuild the one you have.The carter carbs are much better than a walbro carb.There is more adjustments on carters.Some of the walbro have the same adjustments but most don't..I hope this helps. thanks Josh

#27 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 12:16 PM

Josh, couldn't I just find the shaft alone? I've already got the bushings on order and I just replaced the fuel bowl gaskets and jet and jet housing.

IF anyone has the part number for just the shaft, believe me I have tired but no joy. Please post the link or part number for the throttle shaft.

I'd like to order 2 just to keep and have. Right now and being I just rebuilt both carburetors that 80 bucks to buy kits with shafts is killing me to think about! LOL!

At any rate, the shaft part numbers would be good to have so if anyone wouldn't mind posting them for future use it would be appreciated by myself and prolly other newbies!

#28 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 05:06 PM

The shaft only come in that kit.

#29 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 02:13 PM

Talk about frustrating, today it's pouring down rain so not much I can tinker with. Off to yonder hardware store in hopes of getting a hand full of brass washers, went to 3 different Hardware stores that are pretty close by. I don't drive due to illness and getting the wife to take me to town is like getting congress to act, well you'd think any hardware store would at least have a brass washer, not just any brass washer but at least one brass washer.

Boy, was I mistaken...not a single brass washer to be found by the staff. I said umm ya'll do keep some brass gas fittings don't you? Sure enough....

Guess my next trip will be up to Lowes Hardware...see what they can't tell me! LOL

#30 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 02:42 PM

Well you are doing better then the public, at least your wife took you to the Hardware stores. We still haven't gotten congress to act decisively. :(