On my way over this morning to pick up a free to me tractor. Will post more info after I get it home. Heres the story though. We got a call at the office Friday from a previous customer, secretary took a message similar to "we have a GT that Greg looked at before and if he wants it he can call Mrs P at xxxxxxx". OK I'm thinking, HMMM who is this? I didnt remember the name associated with the phone number area but copied down the # and figured I would call after a bit. So I had a few minutes waiting on a hand with a patio door replacement and I figured I would give her a call. Went like this:
- Hi Mrs P this is Greg......., sorry but I dont remember anything about this can you tell me where you live?
- She gave me an address and a cross roads
- (Picture lightbulb on over the top of my head) Are you the folks with the fenced in back yard?
- Yes thats us. (I remembered a not real old Sears or Craftsman sitting in his garage when I was there working on their furnace last fall and probably made some comment about the GT being a nice looking strong machine). Anyway she goes on to say "we just bought a brand new Craftsman and dont have anyway to get rid of the old one. If you want it you can come get it".
- Well obviously cant turn that deal down. So I stopped Friday evening on the way home to refresh my memory. No markings on the hood, did see its a hydro, twin cylinder vertical shaft engine (not sure brand), 5 bolt rear tires, mowing deck. She said they still had the owners manual and she would get it out of the house for me when I come to pick up.
So now not only will I have a foreigner coming into Allis and Simplicity land, but Kathy may pull the trigger and MAKE me KEEP IT . Darn the luck
Will get some pics up in the appropriate sub-forum tonight. We got more grass seed to get in the ground today, dont expect to get back inside much.
The moral of the story is mention your interest in GT's to everyone you talk to. Some may think you are a nut, but you may get some responses like I just did eventually
free tractors make me silly , new theme song I thought of
Sung to the tune of The wizard of OZ
"I'm off to get a tractor
A wonderful tractor for free!
Because, Because, Because, Because
Someone was nice enough to give it to me!"
I will let someone else come up with the next verse mainly cause thats all I remember
Edited by Michiganmobileman, May 06, 2012 - 06:48 AM.