tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 11:04 PM

I have a Troy Built Horse tiller and the book says the tine speed in high range is 200 RPM which is where I use it. I am in the process of converting a Simplicity 1690039 tiller that is run by a belt from the tractor to run from an 8 HP Kohler Magnum engine mounted on a bracket on the tiller itself. It will be kind of like an Agri-Fab pull behind tiller but I have converted it to Cat 0 three point hook up. The Kohler M8 runs at 3600 RPM and has a 4" pulley. The gear reduction of the tiller drive shaft to tine speed is 10 to 1 which means that if I put a 4" pulley on the tiller drive shaft I will be turning a tine speed of 360 RPM. What I would like to know is what the factory tine speed for that tiller or what most tillers have for a tine speed.

#2 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 11:27 PM

So far in my searching on this. I found that the PTO output of a tractor this would fit on is 540 RPM. I'm still searching just nothing on tine speed yet.
  • tinner said thank you

#3 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 11:42 PM

What I am finding (nothing on actual speed for yours) But most people are saying that the tines on a GT attached tiller normally turn @ 130 RPM. From what I can see any thing over 200 RPM tine speed will shake you up pretty bad. Hope this helps. Good luck :thumbs: Sounds like a great Project.
  • tinner said thank you

#4 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 11:52 PM

Thanks Chris, I'm guessing I'll need about a six inch pulley on the tiller drive shaft to get it down somewhere between 200 & 225 RPM, haven't done the math yet and I think I'll fire up the engine and stick a tach on it to make sure of the RPM it turns before I put a pencil to it.
  • chris m said thank you

#5 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 11:56 PM

Sounds great! I would like to do something like this someday if I can't find a Tiller for my MF12. I'm looking forward to here how this turns out for you.
One more thing if you haven't noticed yet, There seems to plenty of parts available for your tiller if needed. Good Luck.
  • tinner said thank you

#6 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 12:08 AM

I'm hooking this one up to my MF14 and will take some pictures and post them in a couple of weeks if I get to work on it as much as I want. I bought the tiller for $75 and it wasn't complete but that was ok as this is what I had in mind for it. Gotta get to bed now so I will not doze off in church later this morning. Good night.

#7 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 06:56 AM

Ronnie, the #1690039 Simplicity tiller was driven from a 4.75" pulley at engine speed 3600 rpm. The input pulley on the tiller was 9" OD, so if the gear reduction in the tiller is 10 to 1 then the tine speed was 190 rpm.

The oldest Simplicity tractor mounted tillers for the large frame tractors had a tine speed of 210 rpm at 3600 engine rpm and the tillers for the Pow'r Max series tractors had a 200 rpm tine speed at 3600 rpm engine speed. So, looks like shooting for around 200 rpm tine speed is about right.

Hope this helps you out. Looks like you'll need about a 7.25" OD pulley on the tiller to get you to around 200 (198.6) rpm tine speed with your 4" pulley on the engine.
  • tinner said thank you

#8 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 07:01 AM

Massey 10, 12 tiller manual says 135rpm at 3/4 throttle.
  • tinner said thank you

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 07:07 AM

Interesting discussion guys. This is good info for anyone adapting a tiller. If the soil is not compacted you can often loaf along at less than full engine speed and get the job done. There seems to be quite a difference in speed. It may have something to do with engine power and the size and weight of the tractor. At least it's not too hard to change pulley and drive belt size.
  • tinner said thank you

#10 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 11:44 AM

OK, I got the tach. out and with the throttle wide open it turns 3,400 RPM and has a 4 3/4" pulley so the tiller at 10-1 ratio would turn 340 RPM with a 4 3/4" pulley. If my math is correct a 8" pulley on the tiller would make the tiller turn at 202 RPM at full throttle. If that seemed to be a little fast I could always throttle it down some. Does this sound like I have my head screwed on correctly?

Edited by tinner, May 07, 2012 - 01:56 PM.

#11 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 02:11 PM

Don't be afraid to turn the tines fast, I had them absolutely smoking on my Bolens tiller amd it tilled first pass to pure fluff, but it took 18hp and then some!
I have noticed , because i have 2 available speeds, that sod busting works best ay slow time speeds ,and then to turn it to fluff, speed up the tines, make sure your tractor is heavy, or you may be in for a heck of a ride !
  • tinner said thank you

#12 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 08:24 PM

I have the same tiller and the only time I run it full throttle is in the garden on the second pass, it "fluffs" it up real well. Other than that some times 1/3 throttle or more, adjusting the tractor ground and engine speed and depth as needed. Try not to get too slow you may loose some of the capability of the tiller. And dont forget the pics!!
  • tinner said thank you

#13 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted May 07, 2012 - 08:49 PM

So if the tiller runs 190 RPM at factory set-up then I should be in great shape running it at 200 RPM wide open and I can always slow the engine down as required. Thanks for your comment Michiganmobileman.