• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 10:57 PM

I missed a plow day today because I have been battling lyme. I have never talked about it on here and after todays disappointment I figured I'd write a little about it and see if anyone else has had it this bad yet. (or even had it)

I have had it in the past but it was no big deal, 14 days on Anti- biotics and I was fine.

But then just over 2 years ago, I was working six and a half days a week, and doing great. Then for about 3 months I was feeling fatigued with pains all over. I just figured I was wearing myself out form working so much.
Until one day I was at work and couldn't even pick up a Dead blow sledge hammer, I turned to my boss and said " Bill something is very wrong" So he convinced me to go to the Doctors the next day.

I went to the Doctors, he checked me out and noticed I had a sinus infection, So he figured my problems were from this. He put me om Predizone for 7 days to open up my sinuses so they could drain. 3 days later, I was crippled!! I couldn't get out of bed, couldn't lift a bottle of water to drink it, and you couldn't even touch any part of me with out it causing sharp pain!

Sooo, I called my dad and he comes and brings me back to the Doctors. The Doctor knew right away what happened ( He happens to be a top lyme Doctor in New England) What he explained was in lab studies, if they gave Predizone to a monkey that had Lyme Disease it caused the Lyme Bacteria to Triple in the blood stream!! (Great!) So Sure enough he was right. After all the testing I had Lyme and not only did the Predizone make it multiply, But they figured I had the Lyme for about 4 months before I sought treatment.

After I started taking the 5 (huge) Anti biotic pills everyday, I was in bed for 3 months, I was hardly even able to get up to use the bathroom.

After 4 months I told the doctor I had to get back to work. He advised against it but I told him I just had to try.

Well I lasted 3 months at work ( It was a very tough 3 months too) And I was right back at the beginning again!! In Bed on another round of anti biotics. I hate this part!!!!!!!!! Everytime They put me on this stuff, It is like a war is going on in every part of my body!!!!!!!! Even taking the Pain pills hardly help with the pain!!

After this 3 month round, I was ok for about 4 weeks. Then It decided to attack my central nervous system. This was Even worse than the other episodes I have had. It affected my eyes and my balance.

I'm trying to make this short. (skipping allot)

After all this I went back to work and stayed till we closed the plant. I have ahhh days and I have bad days. I try to force myself to do things, But It doesn't always pan out. But I plug along the best I can.

The GT Hobby has helped keep my mind off things, And coming on here and trying to help others out helps me in the sense that if I am in too much pain to work on the GT's, I can come on here and try to help people. Even if i don't know the answers, I can google things and try to find the answers.

I do get Depressed, as it seems like I will never get to 100% again. But at the same time I know I am lucky too. I know there are people with worse than this. And I know 2 people that died from lyme and one 23 year old friend of the family that is blind for life now.

All from a tick that is the size of the tip of a pencil!

Anyway, Has anyone been through this? Or know anyone that has?
  • grnspot110 said thank you

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 12:03 AM

I don't know anyone who has Chris, but I feel for you! Sounds as though you've been through hell on earth with this. I've found 2 ticks on me already & they are thick as can be this spring due to the ultra mild winter.
GTTalk can be great medicine for a lot of ills, so stay tuned to this channel! Glad you have improved, and hope you DO get back to 100%.
  • chris m said thank you

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 12:14 AM

Chris I know your not looking for sympathy but your getting mine anyway. That's a terrible long time to battle something and then have it come back again. I admire your stamina and determination. I honestly hope and pray that your recovery comes sooner than later. Hang in there buddy it's got to get better. We are all pulling for you and anytime you need to let off a little steam feel free to do it here.
Take care of yourself!
  • chris m said thank you

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 12:40 AM

Chris I know your not looking for sympathy but your getting mine anyway. That's a terrible long time to battle something and then have it come back again. I admire your stamina and determination. I honestly hope and pray that your recovery comes sooner than later. Hang in there buddy it's got to get better. We are all pulling for you and anytime you need to let off a little steam feel free to do it here.
Take care of yourself!

That's why I don't normally talk about it. But Today ( or Yesterday now) I was really depressed because I couldn't make the Plow day. So I wrote this thinking it would help.
It's tough, when all I can do is sit idle, I feel like I am letting everyone down. So coming on here kinda helps my not beat myself up as much.Anyway, Thanks for the support. I'll feel better when the Sun comes out (finally) tomorrow, So I can mow and work on the MF12 again.

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 12:43 AM

I don't know anyone who has Chris, but I feel for you! Sounds as though you've been through hell on earth with this. I've found 2 ticks on me already & they are thick as can be this spring due to the ultra mild winter.
GTTalk can be great medicine for a lot of ills, so stay tuned to this channel! Glad you have improved, and hope you DO get back to 100%.

Heck just reading your posts and looking at your pictures is great medicine in it self!!!! :thumbs:

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 05:32 AM

Chris, growing up, my next door neighbor was a PA Game Commission Officer. He contracted the disease before much was even known about it. First time I ever heard the word was when he stopped in for coffee and to talk with my parents. He got the tick removing a road kill deer from a road to prevent accidents.

He did end up passing from it, but not for another 35+ years. I think he had as many health issues from the trial treatments as the disease itself. They moved away after about 10 years after he got it and I would only see him once in a while, but I remember the good day/bad day stuff. I would see him and think OMG, he looks awful... Then the next time he would look very good. Thankfully, there were many more good days than bad. He was a good man. Even on the bad days, he managed to muster a smile and a handshake.

Chris, I think a positive attitude, talking with others, and prayer helped him a lot. This was before almost any known treatments for the symptoms. You talk about it any time you need to, vent if you need to, we're here.
  • chris m said thank you

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 07:00 AM

Chris I'm sorry to hear this! I never would have known you have been fighting this battle. Your posts and other contributions here have always been upbeat and informative. You are a great asset to this forum and your input here is even more impressive considering your health issues. You are obviously a strong and determined person and I think I speak for a lot of people here when I say that we all hope your health improves. If coming here and posting about Lyme helps you then do it and we will do what we can to help. I'm looking forward to more of your posts on all topics.

Brian
  • chris m said thank you

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 07:11 AM

Chris I am sorry to hear about the lyme disease. I have heard about it quite a bit but never knew the effects it had on someone. I admire you for your attitude and working through the difficult times. I hope at some point they can create better medicine to either cure it or alleviate any problems from it.

The other guys have already summed other things up better then I could have. I never would have known you were fighting with this and your contributions to the site are always appreciated and I am honored that you are able to find comfort when being on the site.
  • chris m said thank you

#9 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 07:39 AM

Very sorry to hear that you're struggling with this terrible ailment. I don't know anyone personally who ever had it, and didn't really even know what the symptoms were, so thanks for the education. We're glad that you find solace in the site and in helping others. There are many folks who struggle with personal issues and pain in silence not realizing that sharing can be a good start on the road to relief, if only knowing that you have the support of others and you're not alone. I'm glad that you decided to share this with us and hope that you'll continue with your GTT therapy. We all appreciate your posts and sharing your knowledge and skills with us. We'll keep you in our prayers for a full recovery.
  • chris m said thank you

#10 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 08:45 AM

Chris, thank you for sharing that with us. I am familiar with the disease and it's effects from someone else's experiences.

if you need cheering up or conversation, just give me a shout. I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

You certainly do what you can to share your knowledge here. I'm glad it helps you to be on the forum.
  • chris m said thank you

#11 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,625 Thanks
  • 3,867 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 08:46 AM

Chris, sorry to hear you have Lyme.
The others have expressed my feeling as well.
As stated, You have been a great asset to GTTalk and hope to see your input for a long time.
I did not even know the symptoms of Lyme but hope this may educate people and help others.
Keep busy with those tractors and be sure to stay in touch here at GTTalk.
  • chris m said thank you

#12 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 09:32 AM

I'm very sorry to hear this, Chris. When I was 13 I tested false positive for lyme. Since it was a false positive I did not have any symptoms, the only thing I remember from it was the awful medicine. I had to take 4 pills a day or something like that, they smelled horrifying and tasted even worse. I hope you can make a full recovery.
  • chris m said thank you

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 09:47 AM

Sorry Chris to hear you have lyme , We have a few fellows at work that have gotten it a few years ago , they seem normal now , and I hope and pray that you will recover as well as they have . Take care , Al
  • chris m said thank you

#14 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 10:29 AM

Chris,Sorry to hear about this like the rest of the guys,But just talking about it
shows you are dealing with it.I believe a possitive outlook goes a long ways to beat anything
hang in there and thanks for being a part of GT Talk

You will get that next plow day
  • chris m said thank you

#15 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 11:14 AM

Thanks for Sharing about lyme. Like others I had heard about lyme but didn't know the symptoms or what it could to a person, so this has been an education for me as well.

I have already had several tick's but luckly I felt them crawling and got them off before the bit. Like Daniel said the are thick this year.

Having a support team is, I think, the best medicine you can have. So please keep sharing and updating us on your condition we are here to help with not only GT's but with life in general.
  • chris m said thank you