GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 09:35 PM

I really don't know where to post this but if I was wrong please move it to a better place.

In 2010 one of the statewide companies that promote Demolition Derbys and Bump and Run Races started holding Garden Tractor Demolition Derbys at the County Fairs and other events. The county fair that my grandkids compete in the ATV races at held one in 2010 but dropped it for lack of interest last fall but there are several within a hundred miles of the house.

The link to the rules for the event can be found at the promoters web site: http://unique-motor-...id=44&Itemid=40 in case anyone is interested.

I talked with my son and three of the sons-in-law and we are going to built a couple of machines for a few of the events. The SS16 I was parting out will be one of them using a 16 hp cast iron B&S single.

In 2010 the tractor that won the local derby was the John Deere 212 in the photos with the lady driver.

Bill

Attached Thumbnails

• JD 212 winner.jpg
  • DSCN0351.JPG
  • DSCN0358.JPG

Edited by GTTinkerer, May 05, 2012 - 09:40 PM.

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 09:40 PM

I have seen videos of those before, they seem kinda sketchy. If i did one, and had a choice of any tractor, I would redoubtably pick a cub. With the heavy front grill, I think they would do some damage.

#3 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 09:44 PM

Even after the derby, That 212 Looks in good shape. I bet some of the Deere Guys will be crying over this one.Oh I know why she is using a Good deere for this. It must have belonged to her Ex Husband :bigrofl:

#4 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 09:45 PM

Just goes to show Bill, Nothing runs like a Deere! Just do me a favor. Please don't change your mind, and decide to use your 140!

#5 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 10:07 PM

Ryan, Their rules say no shaft drives but some Cubs would still make it if they are new enough.

Just goes to show Bill, Nothing runs like a Deere! Just do me a favor. Please don't change your mind, and decide to use your 140!

Maybe the 212? She would not be able to run now since she has way too much extra steel on the tractor.

Bill

Edited by GTTinkerer, May 05, 2012 - 10:09 PM.

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 05, 2012 - 10:21 PM

Ryan, Their rules say no shaft drives but some Cubs would still make it if they are new enough.

I had not read the rules before, I just read them and they are tighter then I would have thought but still seem very fair. A lot of the videos I have seen on youtube had cubs in them that did well, so I assumed they were aloud here also.

#7 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 06:40 AM

At the Kanasa State Fair, they used to a Demolition Derby with Combines. I don't know if they still do it or not.

#8 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 10:35 AM

I saw one of those combine demo derbies. Very cool. Anybody who gets a chance should go.

I'm surprised they do it with GTs because they are open...it would be easy get hurt.

#9 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 02:58 PM

I entered a car in a demo derby once, the first car that hit me was an Imperial, man that old Chrysler cracked my neck good. I was one of the first ones out. I never tried it again.

#10 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 03:08 PM

I entered a car in a demo derby once, the first car that hit me was an Imperial, man that old Chrysler cracked my neck good. I was one of the first ones out. I never tried it again.

My Dad did about 50 of those, and I'm not joking! My brother has done a few but I haven't done any... yet. My dad used an imperial once, or should I say a few times... he used that car in 6 different derbys, but it never won.

#11 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 06, 2012 - 03:13 PM

We had a guy up home that had an older Imperial that was a former Governors car, it came from the factory with bullet proof glass and armor plating. Man was it tuff!! The other guys would gang up on him and beat the old car to death. It legal to use because it was factory built. He had used it for several years.