192 replies to this topic

#121 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 02:34 PM

Still no-one to tip me on using regular hydro oil in my bolens instead of ATF?

#122 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,719 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 02:54 PM

I sure don't have a clue, but I would THINK the hydro oil would be just as good. Where are the Bolens Guys?
  • hatedge said thank you

#123 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 06:39 PM

That is a great tractor. I have the exact same one. Yours is the 1886-01 and the easiest way to tell is that there is no cutout in the side tin for the oil filter. Unless you paid a ton of money you probably got a very good deal on it especially with the 2 stage blower. I used the 2 stage for two years and decided that it was a bit much on the 18HP so it is being sold as we speak. Actually I've got two of them for sale now. Best of luck with it and feel free to ask questions.
  • hatedge said thank you

#124 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 09:49 PM

I sure don't have a clue, but I would THINK the hydro oil would be just as good. Where are the Bolens Guys?

I would like to know where they are !?!

#125 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 10:00 PM

That is a great tractor. I have the exact same one. Yours is the 1886-01 and the easiest way to tell is that there is no cutout in the side tin for the oil filter. Unless you paid a ton of money you probably got a very good deal on it especially with the 2 stage blower. I used the 2 stage for two years and decided that it was a bit much on the 18HP so it is being sold as we speak. Actually I've got two of them for sale now. Best of luck with it and feel free to ask questions.

I did pay a decent 1200$ for it. I was looking at brand new lawn tractors for a month and they ran around 1500$ with nothing but a small mower. So I figured the Bolens was a good bet seeing how it looks like what it is compared to them flimsy 16 gauge tin ones. Considering that I also got a few extras like the blower, the winter cab with lights and wipers, an extra double action hydro cilynder, a potatoe hiller attachement and tha big 3 blades mower, Im quite happy with the price. Buying all of this in one of the cheap brands they sell nowadays id have to pay close to 4000$ and be unhappy with the purchase. I really like this machine. Only wish I was knowlegeable enough to fix up the engine so it runs better and that parts for it could be found around here :(
  • MailmAn said thank you

#126 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,719 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 03:02 AM

Bolens service manual calls for Bolens oil 1738157 (Benzoil THL 19), Mobil 423, or Texaco TDH.
I did a little research and found this;
Texaco TDH meets John Deere J20C specs. for lubrication.

Texaco TDH

John Deere Hygard exceeds this rating and is rated JDM J21A

John Deere Hy-Gard™

Hygard is readily available at any Deere dealer.

If you want to buy a much cheaper lubricant that meets the J20C spec. use Walmart Super Tech Heavy Duty Tractor Hydraulic & Transmission oil. I just checked a 2 gallon container I have downstairs and it is rated J20C. It should work just fine. It is manufactured for Walmart by Specialty Oil Company which is a subsidiary of Pennzoil-Quakerstate Company.
  • Bolens 1000, hatedge, MailmAn and 1 other said thanks

#127 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 07:13 AM

Looks like the Largeframe guys are slacking :D
I couldnt say what would be a good oil to use as I never owned a largeframe before...
  • hatedge said thank you

#128 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 07:32 AM

Looks like the Largeframe guys are slacking :D
I couldnt say what would be a good oil to use as I never owned a largeframe before...

There not many here that post often. :p

I use ATF in all my 1886s........................
  • KennyP and hatedge have said thanks

#129 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 07:47 AM

There not many here that post often. :p

I use ATF in all my 1886s........................

Well, what are you waiting for? Invite them over! :D
  • hatedge and Huskyfan have said thanks

#130 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 09:01 PM

I use dextron ATF for now but I have a whole bucket of brand new hydro oil in the barn and want to use it since I have the thing sittin there... and since ive a little leak of hydro oil when under heavy strain (ie: lifting my enormous snowblower) i have to top off me oil often. I know, I know I should fix the leak but you mates have to understand that in 8 months I still havent found a place to get parts for this machine and much less a shop that wanted to look at it :(

#131 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 10:54 PM

I use dextron ATF for now but I have a whole bucket of brand new hydro oil in the barn and want to use it since I have the thing sittin there... and since ive a little leak of hydro oil when under heavy strain (ie: lifting my enormous snowblower) i have to top off me oil often. I know, I know I should fix the leak but you mates have to understand that in 8 months I still havent found a place to get parts for this machine and much less a shop that wanted to look at it :(

What parts are you looking for?
  • hatedge said thank you

#132 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted September 26, 2012 - 07:08 PM

I have 2 - 1250s and an HT 23. A 1250 works the others are future projects. I use Type F ATF to top her off, because thats what the manual says and that's what is in it. I am thinking about using tractor fluid when it is time to change the fluid and filter. I belong to another Bolens group too and there are many discussions about the fluid question but I have not seen a definitive answer either way.

I get most of my parts from NAPA they have a small engine catalog that is very helpful. Look around for a parts machine. There's a 1477 for parts for $250 in my area and a running 1250 for $350. They are tempting but we need a new water heater.
Sam's Bolens seems to have a lot of the parts and is very knowledgeable. He gives much advice on the other group.

Good Luck
  • hatedge said thank you

#133 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 07:33 PM

What parts are you looking for?

Parts that I cannot afford :mecry: Im not familiar at all with tractors as this is my first :confuse: . I think new gaskets for the tranny and a parking pal and a rear wheel hub and brake disk so far..... A right hand drive shaft could also be good because mine is pretty damaged. But I have spoken to some people round here and the prices for some of these parts are prohibitive so I have made my peace with it and decided to keep hacking at it the best I can.
  • MailmAn said thank you

#134 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 08:02 PM

I am also looking at a wheel horse. Can someone gimme some tips on this model? GT 14

$(KGrHqF,!n8FBY)T47FSBQ(66-OWYQ~~48_20.JPG $(KGrHqV,!lkE+sFVO9RZBQ(66rScyQ~~48_20.JPG $T2eC16dHJHQE9nzEzslCBQ(66GESsQ~~48_20.JPG $T2eC16JHJGwE9n)ySdV+BQ(66YnRqw~~48_20.JPG $T2eC16V,!y8E9s2fjtksBQ(65-0l1g~~48_20.JPG

#135 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted September 27, 2012 - 09:17 PM

Parts that I cannot afford :mecry: Im not familiar at all with tractors as this is my first :confuse: . I think new gaskets for the tranny and a parking pal and a rear wheel hub and brake disk so far..... A right hand drive shaft could also be good because mine is pretty damaged. But I have spoken to some people round here and the prices for some of these parts are prohibitive so I have made my peace with it and decided to keep hacking at it the best I can.

PM your number to me and a good time to call maybe I can get you some parts.
  • hatedge and MailmAn have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1886, large frame, bolens