192 replies to this topic

#106 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted July 23, 2012 - 07:09 AM

Now that is good news. Makes you wonder why the "right" way didn't work, but who will argue with success?

Did the meltdown affect charging at all?

BTW, :thumbs: on pre-labling the wires. I usually wish I had afterwards...

I am ashamed to admit that I didnt even test the charging system. I will today for sure.
Im suspecting that rewiring correctly didnt work because of a bad reg and ignition switch. Cant say I looked too long to figure out why it didnt work we had 104F yesterday and humidity was very high. Since the tractor died outside the barn I had to work in the sun so...

#107 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,520 posts

Posted July 28, 2012 - 08:37 PM

Congrats on the great tractor.

I've been playing with old electrical systems for 40+ years. I usually make a working copy of the wiring diagram put it on my clip board and record all my readings as I go. I find that this usually helps with being sure to check all components and for later sitting back to figure out what to do. I ignore the color coding because I'm color blind and the color coding usually doesn't survive any repairs. You may save time and agrivation by replacing the switch right off. Then work from there. We used to rebuild regulators, generators, solenoids and starters. Drilled out rivets would be replaced with small bolts. Paint on insulation can repair alot of shorts.The old Motors and Chiltons manuals from the fifties and early sixties had detailed testing and repair proceedures for the componets.

I have found many parts that work in my tractors in the big surplus catalogs. Burdens and Baileys have been very good to me over the last thirty years.

Best of luck with the project. By the way I got a MagnaTrac GT for my son when he was 5. I had to bolt 4x4 blocks to the pedals for him to reach. I then walked along side as he drove. He and his friends loved it. It lasted until he was 12 and got an old A/C B10. Tractors sure beat the mind dulling video games they want to play all of the time..

Edited by boyscout862, July 28, 2012 - 08:40 PM.

• hatedge and MailmAn have said thanks

#108 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 07:38 AM

The kids sure love little rides on the tractor. As for brain rotting video games they dont really care for them. We have a few video game consoles at home and they barely ever get turned on, we are lucky to have 2 wonderfull kids that prefer soccer and baseball. They do watch a lil too much tv but in my opinion but ive seen worst.

Older mecanics can be repaired or fixed from A to Z. Not like them new toy where you HAVE to buy brand new everytime something goes wrong. Nothing is made of quality no more and companies all make sure its a pain to fix or repair instead of buying. A shame really.

#109 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 09:03 PM

Theres something that has been bothering me. I have been told that its a common problem with hydrostatic transmission. When i put the trans in park the tractor will stop for a minute then start driving off on its own. For a guy like me that has the will but not the knowledge to fix this im somewhat aprehensive. I dont want to start meddling with something as complicated as I think this transimission is without some reasuring from more experienced mecanics. theres also a leak of hydro oil from the trans axle control arm that need be taken care of. Can anyone explain some basics to me has to how complicated this work is and whatparts would need to be changed.

#110 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 10:11 AM

Hopefully someone who's got the info will step in sooner rather than later. Don't wanna hear you broke down on one of those runs through the village to the dump.. :blink: cheers mate!
  • hatedge said thank you

#111 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 01:22 PM

Hopefully someone who's got the info will step in sooner rather than later. Don't wanna hear you broke down on one of those runs through the village to the dump.. :blink: cheers mate!

Yeah that would be a pain to break-down on the road as it is not really legal to ride a mower on the street but tolerated for short trips (which is not the case for the dump).The problem would be worst because its frowned upon to tow something else than a trailer on the road without proper equipment AND with the front wheels on the ground and could lighten up me wallet for up to 700$ in fines if Icaught pulling it with the car. Let alone the fact that it would be sad to break down. :mecry:

Edited by hatedge, July 31, 2012 - 01:51 PM.

#112 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 08:40 AM

Theres something that has been bothering me. I have been told that its a common problem with hydrostatic transmission. When i put the trans in park the tractor will stop for a minute then start driving off on its own.

That sounds like it could be a major issue!! I don't necessarily mean it is a difficult fix or even an expensive one, I just mean it sounds bad! I've never heard of a hydrostatic tractor that is in Park taking off on its own. Yeah, I'd want that taken care of right away as well before I ended up with a runaway Bolens chasing it down the street!!! Hope you get it taken care of. I wish I could help, but I don't know much about hydrostatic transmissions (except they are nicer to drive compared with gear drives).

I'd tend to think as far as troubleshooting goes to just check the small stupid stuff first. That's like tech support 101 there. I'd be sure there is plenty of fluid in the transmission (especially if you say it has a leak). Be sure the exterior is all clean (to check for further leaks and also) to be sure there is no grease and grime sticking up any linkages, etc. Also it could be an issue if it is running hot perhaps, so cleaning it might help that too, especially cleaning out the cooling fan area. I'm sure there are a few other routine-mainenance steps you can do first that might be in your manual. Then I'd take it to the next steps past that if you are still having issues. Just for s%#&s and giggles too, is there any adjustment on the Park lever at all too or is that just set from factory by a solid linkage or something? Maybe it is just not fully engaging into Park for some reason?

Edited by MailmAn, August 01, 2012 - 08:41 AM.

• hatedge said thank you

#113 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 922 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 11:18 AM

Its a 01 or a 02 look at the dash has it been cut?

The easiest way to tell is that there is no cutout for the oil filter on the engine shroud of an -01. I've got an 01.
  • hatedge said thank you

#114 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 922 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 11:24 AM

Maybe it is just not fully engaging into Park for some reason?

It is quite possible that the park pawl is worn out. At the end of the park linkage you will see where it goes into the transaxle case. The park pawl sits in that round piece that the lever connects to.

If you drain the transalxe down just below that level you can remove the park pawl quiet easily for inspection. There is an oring that seals it. The park pawl looks like a 3/8" rod with a flat blade on the end. That flat blade fits between the gears on the main drive to lock the drive in place.

Sometimes that pawl gets worn down from people not stopping all the way before engaging the parking lever. It is not hard to replace. As far as adjustment I think all you can do is bend the linkage a bit near the pawl end so as to have it engage tighter. I'd try that first.
  • Bruce Dorsi and hatedge have said thanks

#115 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 09:04 PM

The easiest way to tell is that there is no cutout for the oil filter on the engine shroud of an -01. I've got an 01.

Not necessarily.

I have a -01. Round PTO lever, and Push/Pull throttle and choke controls. It has the cutout for the oil filter.

Now it's possible the it had been re-engined at some time in the past, the sheetmetal was changed, or a PO made the cutout himself.

But, in any event, it's clearly a -01.

Hatedge's is a -02. It has the round PTO lever, but has the lever style throttle and choke controls, so it should have the oil filter cutout.
  • hatedge said thank you

#116 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,179 Thanks
  • 5,205 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 10:03 PM

Not necessarily.

I have a -01. Round PTO lever, and Push/Pull throttle and choke controls. It has the cutout for the oil filter.

Now it's possible the it had been re-engined at some time in the past, the sheetmetal was changed, or a PO made the cutout himself.

Hatedge's is a -02. It has the round PTO lever, but has the lever style throttle and choke controls, so it should have the oil filter cutout.

Hatedge 1886 Is a 01 look again. :itsok: :p
  • hatedge said thank you

#117 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 10:28 PM

Not necessarily.

I know ive told you I have a lever throtle but its not original it used to have a push pull throttle because I can see the round hole it was in . when installing the lever someone cut a slot in the dash. Its quite visible that its been added.

#118 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 10:32 PM

You should be able to see it on these pics. The lever is added on but originally it was push/pull.
esthétique fini (2).JPG esthétique fini (3).JPG

#119 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,179 Thanks
  • 5,205 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 10:44 PM

The dash decal is another way to tell what it is.
  • hatedge said thank you

#120 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 11:02 PM

Just for s%#&s and giggles too, is there any adjustment on the Park lever at all too or is that just set from factory by a solid linkage or something? Maybe it is just not fully engaging into Park for some reason?

The rod does have somekind of adjustment but iva already streched it as far as possible. As for the oil level I do my best to keep it topped off. But topped off depends on the position the hydro cilyndres are in. The oil has a funny way to run high depending on how long its been parked or something. I think level should be checked only with engine running but thats a pain since the little bastard runs off on me! lol

Anyone could tip me on the possibility to use regular hydro oil in there instead of atf tranny oil? Cos ive a whole bucket of the stuff lying around ;)

Edited by hatedge, August 01, 2012 - 11:05 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1886, large frame, bolens