hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 04:47 PM

Here we go, This morning: esthétique fini (5).JPG

At lunch time : esthétique fini (6).JPG

By dinner time : esthétique fini (1).JPG esthétique fini (9).JPG esthétique fini (2).JPG esthétique fini (10).JPG esthétique fini (12).JPG esthétique fini (14).JPG esthétique fini (4).JPG

Now I need to get that seat upholstered, the steering arm repaired and a new oilseal for the mower's gearbox, install a new choke knob and im all ready for summer ! But to be honnest ill have tons more work to do on the 1886 when I get some spare time this summer.

Edited by hatedge, May 11, 2012 - 04:56 PM.

#47 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 05:13 PM

The tractor looks great. It's a good feeling when you assemble everything like that and it starts looking like a new tractor.
  • hatedge said thank you

#48 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 12:27 AM

As I am waiting to get my RH steering arm welded I have decide to tackle a couple of things that bothered me on the engine.
Theres a play in the throttle/governor that has me thinkin' im not getting all I can get from this engine. My problem is I am clueless when it come to this type of carb. It looks like a walbro and Ive never touched one or something with a governor before. I cant begin to figure out whatthis governor is for and how it interacts with what looks to me like a pump of somekind. Therefore ajustment is something I need help with if any of you guys is up to the challenge of teaching me some basics before I go and wreck everything! lol

You might check your motor manual, it should tell you how to adjust your governor. By the way your tractor is really coming along. Looks great !!!!!
  • hatedge said thank you

#49 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 12, 2012 - 02:23 PM

Thanks a lot Speedyg, it aint restored but its cleaned up and fixed up a bit. I'll look in the manual to see if I can find something.

#50 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 16, 2012 - 02:11 PM

Yipee! Finally took the GT out for the first time. Did some mowing and tried its top speed a bit and its pulling strength. The it started to rain :(

#51 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 11:23 PM

Yipee! Finally took the GT out for the first time. Did some mowing and tried its top speed a bit and its pulling strength. The it started to rain :(

Sweet !!! That first ride is a good one ain't it ! :)
  • hatedge said thank you

#52 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 09:41 PM

Sweet !!! That first ride is a good one ain't it ! :)

The best one im sure. New toy, pride of a job well done (i hope) and finally NO MORE walkbehind mower!!! :dancingbanana:
  • MailmAn said thank you

#53 goodnews OFFLINE  

goodnews
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8713
  • 126 Thanks
  • 423 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 04:01 PM

great job hatedge you are real bolens guy now many thrills to come enjoy!!!!!!
inChrist :thumbs:
  • hatedge said thank you

#54 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 12:25 AM

Thanks Goodnews, Im real happy to enjoy one of the Real american tractors. Round me part theres none to be found exept Deere. Dont get me wrong , Deeres good but round here its all asian crap. Event good ol american or cannuck companies have gone the evil way and sold out to asians. I think their cars can sometimes be ok, but when it comes tro smaller engines they cant make nothin but crap. Its veeerry hard for us to find parts for a decent small engine and im very proud to be one of the few roud here to be lucky enough to have one.

Cheers!

Edited by hatedge, May 20, 2012 - 12:26 AM.

• goodnews and MailmAn have said thanks

#55 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 10:59 PM

I looked in the engine manual and the only info in there to adjust the governor asks for a RPM meter. Guess ill have to get one cos I dont know if I can do it by ear. Not enough experience .

#56 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 06:26 AM

OK heres what I have behind me tractor. I dont know if its a 3 pt hitch or if its homebrewed. One thing is certain I think I need to modify it to be able to press down on the bedder or the shovel that I will install soon. Anyone here has an idea?
3 point hitch (1).JPG 3 point hitch (2).JPG 3 point hitch (3).JPG 3 point hitch (4).JPG 3 point hitch (7).JPG 3 point hitch (8).JPG 3 point hitch (9).JPG 3 point hitch (11).JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• 3 point hitch (5).JPG

#57 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 07:05 AM

Could be both! :bigrofl:

#58 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 08:11 AM

Looks like it's 'home brewed', or a hitch from another brand adapted to work. I have a Bolens 3-pt for my 1886-01 and it's nowhere near close to that. It does look like a pretty good job tough

Since you say that you don't have any down pressure, I'm guessing that the hydraulic cylinder is a single acting one, and not double acting. If you can find a double acting cylinder the same size, all you will need to do is plumb it.

How is it operated? By the standard lift lever with up/down/float, the axillary lever with just up/down, or with it's own separate control?

I have that same issue with the home brewed FEL on my 1886. For who knows what reason, the PO that built it used single acting lift cylinders, so all it will do is lift, and has no down pressure at all :(

I need to get mine changed to double acting so I can get some down pressure on it.'
  • hatedge said thank you

#59 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 08:21 AM

Dang....I is a DUMMY! :blush2: :blush2: :blush2: :blush2:

I just looked at those pics again, and I missed the OBVIOUS :blush2: :blush2: :blush2: :blush2:

It's the CHAINS that it's using from the rock shaft to the lift arms! If those were replaced by solid rods that would give you down pressure, as long as the hydraulic cylinder is a double acting one.

You would want at least one of the rods 'adjustable' so that you could level the implements, or in the case of a single bottom plow, angle it to be vertical when you have the right wheels in the furrow.

Edited by OldBuzzard, May 25, 2012 - 08:23 AM.

• hatedge said thank you

#60 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 10:06 AM

Down pressure is only of limited use because any down pressure removes weight from the rear wheels and limits your traction. Most attachments don't t require extra down pressure if they are setup properly. Sometimes you can add weight to the attachment to make it dig in better. Nice tractor and hitch! Take a good look at the linkage and cylinder. The hitch may not apply down pressure if the linkage is designed to float.
  • hatedge said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1886, large frame, bolens