192 replies to this topic

#151 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 11:23 PM

Someone contacted me by e mail today. for some unknown reason to me , he beleived I was the guy to talk to about old GTs. I guess I should stop talking about my old tractor to everyone all the time ! lol. Anyway I dont know the guy but he contacted me hoping to sell me his g10. His G10 is quite clean and comes with blower and mower but the catch is the engine is missing. lucky for him I have recently met another lost soul in the next town over whom actually hunts for Bolens. So I called him and gave him the heads up on this stranger trying to unload his Bolens.

Gotta help one another round here (Qc) cos there aint many of us :)

#152 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted October 08, 2012 - 11:38 PM

A while ago I have started looking for a trailer to be able to haul my snowmobiles and my tractor. I was planning on using the newly purchased Dodge caravan to pull the trailer. Upon talking to my wife a couple nights ago I realised that when ill be out pulling the trailer the only vehicle left home would be my Altima witch is stickshift. My wife whom cannot drive standard would the be stuck home with the kids and no vehicle in case of emergency. I woke in the middle of the night bothered by the fact that I couldnt leave her home like that when im out playing in the snow so I posted an ad on kijiji calling for a trade : Altima 80 000 km for pick-up. Well ive got a ton of answer and this is the new work horse in the yard. It aint big but its exactly what I need.
My first ever pick-up... Im quite proud. Knowing most everyone here is from the Sates and prefers to buy US I would like to point that its a Mazda made by Ford ;) So I get cheap replacement partts compare to the ol Altima witch was so expensive to fix. Can you beleive they sold brake calipers for the Altima 200$ each? It was a comfy ride but my wallet wont miss it!

Mazda B4000 2000.JPG

#153 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 02:31 PM

I think I will have to cut my losses and let go the Bolens. I have the desire but not the money to upkeep such a machine. I called everywhere today for a fuel pump and the lowest price I found was 150$. This has made me realise that the only way ill get parts and supply for it is by getting ripped off by sharks that prey on old GT collectors. I need a machine to work with and I am not willing to waste my money like that.

Im quite sad to loose the Bolens it was a very nice tractor and the pride of ownership will be missed.

Thanks to everyone who helped me get it running over the summer and the kind words from you all. Ill stay in touch because I will be getting another tractor but Bolens are out for me even tough they are great machines they are not worthit for me.

Whats the part number for the Pump?
  • hatedge said thank you

#154 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 07:40 PM

Sorry cannot find part nuber yet ill keep looking. If this helps the engine is: K482 s 35113B

I was angry earlier and was hasty in giving up. I will not dump the bolens I will still try to get it running again. Im just so tired of constantly having to figure out the latest problem on it.

Edited by hatedge, October 09, 2012 - 07:43 PM.

#155 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,802 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 11:31 AM

I am glad that you reconsidered. I checked with my local NAPA. It would be about $80.00 for the new pump from them to here, including sales tax. There is only a couple of them left in their system. There are a bunch on EBAY from 73 to 130 dollars. There is one that is $85, is original Kohler, and includes shipping. One is at $65 but the part number is suspicious. Don't include the model or part number in your search. The part number should be 48 559 05-S.

Can you put a plow on the truck? Good Luck

Edited by boyscout862, October 10, 2012 - 11:35 AM.

• hatedge said thank you

#156 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 09:11 PM

Thats the thing see. 100 plus dollars is a price I consider too high for that pump. Heck I paid less for the one on my car ! I searched the net and found places that advertise them between 26 and 44$ but they are out of stock. I might look into installig an electric pump. Some guy I met while tractor shopping told me hes done it a couple times and it solved the problem of finding the right pump.

#157 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 09:16 PM

Sorry cannot find part nuber yet ill keep looking. If this helps the engine is: K482 s 35113B

I was angry earlier and was hasty in giving up. I will not dump the bolens I will still try to get it running again. Im just so tired of constantly having to figure out the latest problem on it.

I dont think it could do much good with a plow on it. its only 2x4 and I also would rather get the tractor running and use the plow and blower I got on there

#158 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 09:17 PM

I am glad that you reconsidered. I checked with my local NAPA. It would be about $80.00 for the new pump from them to here, including sales tax. There is only a couple of them left in their system. There are a bunch on EBAY from 73 to 130 dollars. There is one that is $85, is original Kohler, and includes shipping. One is at $65 but the part number is suspicious. Don't include the model or part number in your search. The part number should be 48 559 05-S.

Can you put a plow on the truck? Good Luck

I dont think it could do much good with a plow on it. its only 2x4 and I also would rather get the tractor running and use the plow and blower I got on there

#159 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,802 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted October 10, 2012 - 10:31 PM

The electric pump is a good idea. Just be carefull of the pressure output. Make sure it shuts off with the engine and the pressurized hose is new. Can you salvage one off of a snowmobile? Good Luck

Edited by boyscout862, October 10, 2012 - 10:33 PM.

• hatedge said thank you

#160 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted October 11, 2012 - 08:59 AM

This is the new work horse in the yard. It aint big but its exactly what I need.
My first ever pick-up... Im quite proud. Knowing most everyone here is from the Sates and prefers to buy US I would like to point that its a Mazda made by Ford ;) So I get cheap replacement parts compare to the ol Altima witch was so expensive to fix.

That is a nice compact truck you got there. From what I have heard though (I've never owned one myself) the older 1980's Mazda B1000 were the trucks to have as they were fully made by Mazda and not Ford. The later ones like you have were basically Ford Rangers with different badging and weren't as good or reliable as the old Mazda built pickups. But again, this is just conjecture from what I have heard from a few Mazda truck owners I have met. I'm sure it is still a nice truck and will do what you need. I'm actually kinda surprised in QC that you got a 2 wheel drive truck. I figured they just didn't sell any trucks up there unless they were 4 wheel drive because of all the snow.

I was planning on using the newly purchased Dodge caravan to pull the trailer. Upon talking to my wife a couple nights ago I realised that when ill be out pulling the trailer the only vehicle left home would be my Altima witch is stickshift. My wife whom cannot drive standard would the be stuck home with the kids and no vehicle in case of emergency.

Well, it is too late now since you already bought the truck, but I was gonna say you should be a good husband and teach your wife how to drive stickshift then! Once she gets the hang of it, she won't want to drive anything else since it is so much fun!!! :thumbs: Or is your wife one of those women who just throws her hands up and says she can't do something without even trying because it looks too hard? (No offense intended, BTW... I just know a lot of women like that and IDK why that seems to be the case a lot of times... They always want us to try something different, which usually means ballet or opera or something, but when the shoe is on the other foot, they can't be bothered!)

Edited by MailmAn, October 11, 2012 - 09:00 AM.

• hatedge said thank you

#161 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted October 12, 2012 - 02:09 PM

I figured they just didn't sell any trucks up there unless they were 4 wheel drive because of all the snow.

Well, it is too late now since you already bought the truck, but I was gonna say you should be a good husband and teach your wife how to drive stickshift then! Once she gets the hang of it, she won't want to drive anything else since it is so much fun!!! :thumbs:

Well in Qc we do drive both 2x4 and 4x4. As you already know 4x4 in the snow is much better but we are used to winter driving and 2x4 are good enough when you get the hang of em. Considering that most cars are also 2x4 its not much of a difference to me.
As for the stickshift lessons, my wife does know how to drive stickshift but she hasnt in years and need to get back on the horse. She is scared that she will damage my clutch so she refuses to practice on it. I try to reason with her that a clutch wont just break because of a bad shift but she doesnt trust herself. With time ill get her back to the real way of driving ;)
  • MailmAn said thank you

#162 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 08:17 PM

Can anyone point me where to find the breather on my engine? There's got to be one somewhere no? I want to try and hook it up to a diapragm gas pump

#163 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 11:26 PM

New lil mower at home. Craftsman 20hp hydrostatic with mowing deck. Traded it for a snowmobile I paid 175$ and a snowblower I found curb side :thumbs: The pic comes from the seller but it still looks that clean. I need to look into the alternator or magneto because the tractor runs on the batery right now. Sitting next to the bolens this thing looks like a toy :rolling:
5 aout 002.JPG

Edited by hatedge, November 26, 2012 - 11:27 PM.

#164 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted November 27, 2012 - 05:24 AM

Nice looking 'lil mower'! Hope it gives you good service!
  • hatedge said thank you

#165 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted November 28, 2012 - 09:40 AM

Im sure it will. Craftsman are reliable enough. But the Bolens has to cooperate with me a lil more because its the one I need for the snow that started to fall yesterday.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1886, large frame, bolens